April 27, 2024, 10:35:30 PM

News:

Connecting rod side play

Started by BigT, December 21, 2008, 02:18:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

BigT

I happen to have my top end off my 117" and noticed that there seemed to be a lot of side to side movement on the front connecting rod. I was able to fit in a .030 feeler gauge in between the two rods. I only have 7 to 8,000 miles on the flywheels after being balanced/welded by Falicon. This seem normal?

BigT

There is no up and down movement..........

roadglide65

I thought you only measure the side play on the fly wheel side.. I could be wrong on this though and IIRC .020 is out of speck.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: BigT on December 21, 2008, 02:18:46 PM
I happen to have my top end off my 117" and noticed that there seemed to be a lot of side to side movement on the front connecting rod. I was able to fit in a .030 feeler gauge in between the two rods. I only have 7 to 8,000 miles on the flywheels after being balanced/welded by Falicon. This seem normal?

Never owned a CZ.. They had about 1/8 inch side play on the lower rods.. Max..

rdkng

My S&S stroker lower end had a lot of side play.  I was told no problem, only
up and down mattered.  6,000 miles and 14 WOT dyno runs later.. no problems.
have fun..
rdkng 
Happy Motoring, Road King George

still_on2_wheels

Not sure about your particular bike, but my BT service manual for 2001 says side play not to exceed 20 thou.. Measure when con rod is at the top of the stroke. Measure between the thrust washer and the outboard side of the rod.

So say 'da book.

Jeff
Shiney side up please.

jsachs1

Just as important is diagonal play/movement.Check with the male rod at the bottom of the stroke.  :rtfb:
John