May 02, 2024, 01:54:05 AM

News:

Way OT: tire cable question.....

Started by NETacomaFatboy, December 21, 2008, 02:55:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

NETacomaFatboy

Sorry for the stupid question, but I tried to Google this question and got nothing.   Once I am finished with using the cables, what is the best way to keep them away without them rusting away.    These are pricey cables and I want them to last.  Thanks.

Panzer

December 21, 2008, 03:06:10 PM #1 Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 12:56:00 PM by Panzer
Ok, I know I'm not the smartest wrench in the box but.................
What the heck are tire cables?   :dgust:
Do you mean tire chains? 
            Looking to be smarter.

Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

HIPPO

I guess it's those cables that replace chains on little cars with no clearance?

What do they recommend?

Putting them in a closed can with with kerosene might work. Sort of like marinading veggies in olive oil.

NETacomaFatboy

LOL!   Yes, modern cars use cables.  The oldies drag out the chains....

Panzer

December 21, 2008, 04:27:27 PM #4 Last Edit: December 21, 2008, 04:29:56 PM by Panzer
      Guess I dated myself.

I haven't put chains on a tire in...........years.............never mind.   :smilep:
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

jmanjeff

spray them with some WD 40 and hang then up some where
1957  Sportster

Don D

CRC 06026  Corrosion Inhibitor
CRC Engine Stor
EVOO

printer

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 22, 2008, 01:53:54 PM
CRC 06026  Corrosion Inhibitor
CRC Engine Stor
EVOO

and make a nice salad dressing when you're not storing them ?

NETacomaFatboy

printer

Quote from: NETacomaFatboy on December 22, 2008, 03:20:43 PM
^^^

what does that mean?

maybe I'm mistaken but thinking Don was being clever with EVOO
EVOO= extra virgin olive oil

Rags722

Ah, the good old days... Nothing like trying to pick your way home on a country road in a foot of snow, listening to the broken cross chain slapping your fender well, and knowing you used your last repair link yesterday.
Rags :hyst:

xxxflhrci

You could do them like I do the tow chains that I keep in my Jeep.  I put them in a cloth sack(pillow case works great) and spray them with WD-40 or a cheaper knock-off.  I've been carrying 2 logging chains like that in the back of my Jeep for years.  They still are shiny.

Panzer

Rags,
I remember those days laying in the snow trying to put chains on.
Laying the chains out in front of the back tires, then driving on them in to the middle.
Then trying to hook up the ends to each other and have melting snow drop in your face and down the back.
One mile down the road it's plowed to bear asphalt.............ahggggg@#&%#ggggg  :hyst:
It wasn't funny then.