May 02, 2024, 06:47:25 AM

News:

75FXE to 83FXSB Trans Question

Started by buzzurd, December 21, 2008, 04:34:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

buzzurd

As you may have read in a previous post on the old ladies 83 FXSB. Trying to do away with all the bull crap linkage.Well here's a different question concerning the trans.I've got a 4 speed ratchet top that came out of my 75 FXE.Will it bolt right into her 83 FXSB?Talking to Ole and he said there may be a mainshaft lenght difference.Anyone with any input will be gladly appreciated.Also Ole thought all parts from the 83 cowpie will drop into the ratchet top case.
Thanks,
Buzzurd

ramcr913

I am watching this one too...
I have a cowpie and am always looking for more alternatives.
Buzzurd, post if you find out anything.
Thanks

The Don

Hi guys,
if you are talking about swapping the whole tranny assembly Post 79 to Pre 79 or vice versa it is a direct bolt on even though the case,shift mechanism and starter drive housing are different.
Changes are:
75 New main drive gear and throw out bearing is changed to the wafer type.
77 Some of the needle bearings are changed to caged ones,
    and the 77 and up caged bearing drive gear wil not fit older models.
80 New mainshaft second gear, mainshaft sprocket and the caged bearing countershaft
    transmission gets new  countershaft, synchro rings, shift forks and shift shaft.

The Don
Had a 1981 FXFE (Modified of course) for 20 yrs
Now have a 89 Heritage(modified)

buzzurd

So your saying a complete swap will work but parts are not interchangeable?
Buzzurd

The Don

Yep,  The 75 will fit into an 83, just got to remember the starter drive housing is different, if you're kick only not a problem. If you want electric start you are looking at changing primary case and starter motor and using the older (not as reliable) parts.
The Don

buzzurd

Means I'll have to run an old style inner primary (75) and old style starter.Remember were talking about my ol ladies bike here.She will not ride something she has to kick unles of an emergency.The 83 is factory primary belt drive....will that be a problem?
Buzzurd

The Don

Buzzard,  Looks to me like it would end up being one of those never ending, fiddly,  try to get things to fit AAAAAARGH!!!!!!!! Jobs . If I remamber correctly the original FXB, which became the FXSB when the Sturgis name got canned had different part numbers for the inner primary. What the differences were I'm not sure, but they may lead to problems putting a 75 tranny into your Lady's bike.
Might be easier if you need to replace it ,to use a later tranny.

Wicked

If it's a rear belt drive, it does take a longer mainshaft. All the others about the inner pri., starter mount, etc are correct as well.

Lew

Early trannys in a rear belt app require a mainshaft change to the longer 35039-84 or 35039-85 (with it's appropriate drive key for that shaft 37523-85).  They need this to work with the belt housing/s.   
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

buzzurd

I appreciate all the valuable info.I've nixed the trans swap idea, but am real close to making my linkage from other post work better then factory with only one pivot point.
Buzzurd