swap a 1995 to 1996-up style fairing..possible??

Started by bgkatohd, December 21, 2008, 04:52:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bgkatohd

anyone swaped the 1995 and older inner/outer fairing to the 1996-up style....i don't think it would be much of a problem, any thoughts?

Porkchop

I did that about two years ago and but I took the easy way.  I have a 1985 and that year was a ba$tard year for old shovelhead and new evo parts.  The fairing was a erector set of bolted on parts and real PITA.  So I switched it to the 86-95 style w/ radio and hand controls and rewired the fairing. This worked for around 5 years or so and the combination of an old harness and my wiring was becoming a problem.  I then bit the bullet and bought a new/used 96 inner/outer fairing and a wiring harness for that year.and replaced everything.  The fairing will bolt up to the front forks
The biggest problem I think, will be the front fork lock plate that you ll have to make for the ignition switch plunger to lock into.  It's not to hard to wield or bolt a plate on so your forks will lock. and it's ten fold better that the 80's to 95 style.
Your 95 radio would work with the 96 wiring harness only as in 97 HD went with the newer style radio. (maybe 1998)
Speedo cable should work and tach wiring is no problem.
fuel gauge is different but the sending unit should work.
I know this is only some of the differences but its a good winter project.
Porkchop
Gun Powder & Women, live by one, die by the other and love the smell of both!