May 05, 2024, 12:59:51 AM

News:

six speed gears for a bagger

Started by bullsnatch, December 21, 2008, 05:48:10 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bullsnatch

Just curious what opinions out there. Screaming eagle vs baker. Also i think baker has two different sets.

waskier01

Baker.  DD6 is more efficient, but the OD6 is stronger.

FLTRI

Baker.  DD6 is more efficient (meaning less perasitic loss = more resar wheel power) , but the OD6 is stronger
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Deye76

Many will say the drop in RPM does not warrant the expense. My experience has been if you spend 8 or more hours in the saddle, then it's money well spent. Way better than chrome stuff.
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

PosseRider

I really like my DD6. Worth every $$ . No more looking for another gear at 65.
PosseRider
Vandalia,Ohio

Rock4gzus

While there are a lot positive posts about the Bakers, I have had three years (15,000 miles) of trouble free service from a Screaming Eagle 6 Speed transmission in my 2001 Roadking.  Even with a stock 88", this OD transmission combined with 3.37 gearing and a SERT is a nice performance combination that allows for two up cruising (70 mph) at a comfortable 2850 RPM.  I am looking forward to additional benefits after installing an Andrews 26G gear drive cam system next month.   

While the SE-6 and tuner cost a lot (total $3,348.54), I was and remain so content that I've never seriously considered buying a newer bike.

steelknee57

SE 6 speed w/ 3:37 gears. 30,000+ trouble free miles. :up:

FLTRI

Quote from: Rock4gzus on December 22, 2008, 09:25:30 AM
While there are a lot positive posts about the Bakers, I have had three years (15,000 miles) of trouble free service from a Screaming Eagle 6 Speed transmission in my 2001 Roadking.  Even with a stock 88", this OD transmission combined with 3.37 gearing and a SERT is a nice performance combination that allows for two up cruising (70 mph) at a comfortable 2850 RPM.  I am looking forward to additional benefits after installing an Andrews 26G gear drive cam system next month.   

While the SE-6 and tuner cost a lot (total $3,348.54), I was and remain so content that I've never seriously considered buying a newer bike.
I really like my 94 FLH w/107S&S and Baker 6sp OD. What I don't like is the 3-5 mpg mileage drop caused by the OD's (spinning all the internal gears rather than DD) additional parasitic loss *. This is a reason Bert went to the DD and slowing rpms through the primary rather than the tranny.
JMHO,
Bob
* This also applies to the SE 6spd OD.

bullsnatch

When you say the OD6 is stronger than DD6 would it make a lot of difference for the average down the highway rider. My bike produces approximately 100 torque and 100 HP.

RevFastEddy

Something you might consider.. The S&S 6 speed.. direct drive and the gearing is upped by 2 teeth on the pully. You also get a lower first gear so there isnt a bog feel starting out. Add to that all the gears are helical so they are ALL very quiet. Plus it is made for their 125" motor. If you want the gear set it is about $1800 with the typical discount. I like mine.. Just an opinion here.
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach

Bakon

I have the SE six speed. I have heard it is made by Jims. I know it is much more heavy duty than the stock set up. Overdrive in six, not 1:1 like the new stock tranny. I would recommend some performance upgrades to the bike if riding in any hilly area, highway or not. Otherwise downshifting is alot quicker to pass than just rolling it on. I have 108 ft lbs and 113 hp and still downshift to pass quickly. If I have alot of road, then just rolling some on gets it done.
wasting time

FLTRI

Quote from: SHOStreetglide on December 22, 2008, 01:41:05 PM
I have the SE six speed. I have heard it is made by Jims. I know it is much more heavy duty than the stock set up. Overdrive in six, not 1:1 like the new stock tranny. I would recommend some performance upgrades to the bike if riding in any hilly area, highway or not. Otherwise downshifting is alot quicker to pass than just rolling it on. I have 108 ft lbs and 113 hp and still downshift to pass quickly. If I have alot of road, then just rolling some on gets it done.
Excellent observation and goes along with my previous comments about power losses from OD, not to mention helical cut gears.

les

My first choice is the DD6.  However, if money is tight then the SE is a nice gear set, especially if you can get it on a 20% sale.  Also, with the DD6 you need to buy a little bit more stuff than with the SE...the SE kit gives you a few more odds and ends than the DD6 kit...further saving a little bit more money.  For example, the speed recal unit and the countershaft brearing...stuff like that.

Only thing I hate about installing the SE is the metal chips that have to be cleaned out of the tranny casing after the drilling and dremmeling.  I really hate two things in life...draining gas tanks and cleaning metal dust from a casing mounted in the frame.   :smilep:

hrdtail78

When installing a 6speed in a bike I try and tell my customers that there a couple of other things to consider.  That equals other things to buy.  When setting up gearing.  I try and find the ratio's I want and work backwards from there.  Pullies, compensator, chains and belts.  Piont being:  When looking at the prices of these gearsets.  Take the time to price the other things you need to buy with them in order for it to work on your bike.  Overdrive is neat.  Having to go 85 to be in 6th will be a waste if other things aren't looked at.  I have the Jim's biulders kit in one of my bikes.  Built all other ratio's around it.  Love it.  Like everything else there is more to it than just clicking into 6th gear.
Semper Fi

HDSlowride

I can't imagine looking for another gear at 65 mph. I like the way mine feels and runs at 75-85 mph in my '02 EG with the stock 5 speed. Sounds great, right on the cam sweet spot and can jump hard without a downshift.
'07 Ultra Classic

marc

I have an 04 FLHTCI with 25,000 on a Screamin Chicken OD 6 and love it ...80 MPH at 3,000RPM....What is not to love...

FLTRI

"I can't imagine looking for another gear at 65 mph"

"OD 6 and love it ...80 MPH at 3,000RPM....What is not to love..."

Thanks for verifying I'm not the only speeder who needs/wants taller gearing.  :smilep:

HDSlowride

I'll bet I can jump an OD a few bike lengths at 70-80 if we both are in the top cog. My 95", big boys heads and HQ-0034 cams will pull harder from 80-100 than it will from 60-80 (which still ain't too bad)  :teeth:

But there's nothing wrong with with loafing along at 80 and 3K rpm if you have the power to do it (and that's what you want to do). I pull a trailer a lot and load up for two week trips and would rather have more power on tap without having to downshift. Besides...I like the sound it makes from 3000-3400

that's why we all like different kinds....plenty for everybody.
'07 Ultra Classic

bullsnatch

Thanks for the input it will give some things to consider.
Thanks Bullsnatch

Yo J

I agree with SHOStreetglide --> I would recommend some performance upgrades

I have had to modify my 06 Ultra  95"/203 cam build to have the torque come on sooner (Changed to Crane 300 cam) and changed to 3.37 primary in order to be comfortable in 6th @ 65-70.  At 70+ is nice to have although I can't say I get any better fuel mileage.  In fact a recent 5,000 mile trip this year I got better gas mileage doing 75 in 5th than when in 6th, but during that trip I had the 3.15 primary.

I'd recommend something different and more in the area of a true 6 speed vs OD.   Might be different for a lighter bike…

Bakon

I feel the same way in that I get better milage dropping a gear than trying to roll on at highway speeds. Maybe it's the amount of throttle I give to pass when in overdrive, must use more fuel. Even during a downshift when at 70 mph, the engine must use less fuel in 5th than 6st to pull the pass. I am not saying it wont pass in six gear (OD) I m saying it takes more throttle and time, probably off cam at that rpm, where 5th puts it in a sweet spot.

I do like cruising 80 at a lower rpm. Once rolling at 80-90 there is no downshift. Again probably on the cam then (Woods 400g)
wasting time

-SeabrookTrickBagger

Just finished installing a DD6 in an '04 RKC.   Christmas present.  I went through the same questions before I settled on it.
1.  Baker has full width gears as opposed to Rev Tech gears.
2.  I got the DD6 tall gear package since my build has plenty of power down low and I don't tow a trailer.  You have several choices of tranny ratios with Baker.  The stock 5 speed first gear ratio is too low for one up riding and just OK for two up riding with my engine.  The Baker primary chain is a bit too long, but I can live with adjusting the tension manually since aftermarket primary adjusters like the Hayden M6 cannot be used.  If you are putting it in a Dyna bike, then the Baker probably requires removal of a boss or two in the inner primary and helicoil modifications to the outer primary cover which is a consideration.
3.  DD6 is more efficient than OD6 even with helical cut gears in the top couple of gears:  quiet like the OD6 at cruise speed in top gear as well as more efficient than the OD6.
4.  The Korean knock off of the DD6 was a consideration due to price only, but I just could not risk the Korean knockoff since a failure of the tranny could mean serious road rash at best.  It was about $600.00 and requires a few modifications such as the shift pawl bushing length.
5.  The SE was nearly the same price as the DD6 builder's gear set on sale at $1995.00 and it has its limits as mentioned on the Baker website.
6.  Other than James Gaskets and seals (tranny gasket kit about $28.00) nothing else to buy. New comp gear and chain provided by Baker.
7.  If you need special "R" tranny gearing, Bakers can supply those ratios at about $500.00 more.
8.  I considered Twist Gear, but I can no longer find them on the internet.

So, DD6, tall first gear set fit my riding style/bike and where my cams (Andrews 67G) turn on which is about 2450 rpms.

Hope that helps.

BTW, the tall first gear is really spot on.  And, the 28 tooth compensator gear allows my bike to start just a tad easier since I have the Rivera 66 tooth ring gear which tended to load the starter up a tad when used with the stock compensator gear.  I thought it would take 2 days to put it in.  I think it took four days but I put on a new drive belt and rear sprocket on too and took out the swingarm ---- it was tiring.

Seabrook

Seabrook
Seabrook

Kleetus

Quote from: Rock4gzus on December 22, 2008, 09:25:30 AM

Rock4gzus,
If you're gonna leave the motor stock @88 inches and you run lots of highway miles you might consider the Andrews 21's instead of the 26's. I have the 26's in a 95" build and they work great with my increased compression (ccp 185psi) but the stock 88's seem to get a lot more bang for the buck from the 21's.
Just my humble opinion.

Happy New Year Bro....Kleetus