April 27, 2024, 04:31:14 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

09 UC Head pipe question-*UPDATED WITH PICTURES* of completed pipe

Started by Tre_11 FLHX, December 21, 2008, 10:15:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Tre_11 FLHX

Yesterday I removed my exhaust, See picture: thought about shooting some 1500 degree hpc ceramic paint on it, for nothing more than Esthetics .  The purple/blue reflection off the transmission looks like "Potty mouth".  Anyone?

11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

jvcazcm

Please post a picture when you are done doing the work.  I agree with you it does look like crap that is why I have always used Hooker Headers on all of my bikes.  This one I won't.  I have a 09 UC also, love it in everyway, I even like the exhaust setup don't like the burnt look though.

jvc

Tre_11 FLHX

JVC- thought about using either flat black or a gloss black, think it will be a nice contrast with the heat shields.  Just not sure if it will hold up.

Mike
11 103 FLHX-TW555 cams,10.5:1, FM 2-1-2 ex, FM heads, VPC, JP mufflers, PV tuner

Clintster

Not long ago I bead blasted a Fatcat header pipe and painted it with Krylon grill hi-temp paint.  It came out very good the fella who bought it is going to run it without shields.  Should do fine for what part of that that is showing.
Drive fast, take chances

randyman

rigidthumper

Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

PoorUB

It is not the pipe you need to paint, it is the chrome cover on the tranny. Krylon flat black on everything!!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

TN

are there any restrictions in the collector??  i have a 110" and there is. heard there wasn't in a 96".

thanks

TN
Just Ride..........

tomp

This ia a really good idea to keep the discoloring from reflecting in your chrome parts. This is very important to me, right along with replacing the header bolt studs with a set of stainless steel bolts with 12-point nuts. These come as a kit for the TC and work well so you dont get frozen/rusty nuts.

I just the High Temp paint from Home Depot and it's never come off. Just tape off the chrome and spray the backside with flat black.

Tre_11 FLHX

TN,
There is no restrictor in the collector, pipes are hollow.  I heard that they were in all SE UC for 09.

Mike

tomp

Hey Mike..please confirm the collector is open on all 09 exhausts, only on SE bikes, or only on bikes that are not SE?

Tre_11 FLHX

Tomp I can only Confirm that my 09 UC collector is open.  Ran a fishtap thru it, its open.

Mike

Tre_11 FLHX

Yesterday I did the prep for painting, I used an air grinder with a 3m paint strip wheel, it actually removed 90% of the blue and prepared the surface for paint.  Since it is cold here (18 degrees) I kept the pipe and the paint in the house last night.  This morning I hand sanded the pipe with 400 and then cleaned it with acetone (brake Klean) let that evaporate-, taped off the collars and 02 sensors and sprayed the first coat.  Helped the drying process with the O/L hair dryer  :embarrassed: (glad she is at work!).  I have sprayed a total of 3 coats.  Will more than likely do 2 more and call it done.  I have used the HVT flame proof ceramic/silica paint before on a set of headers with great results.  Pics below:

Modified due to public school education  :crook:

tireater

Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Tre_11 FLHX

Tireater, bought the paint at Autozone, can't recall the price.

Going to send you a PM in regards to your TB question yesterday.

Dennis The Menace

Hell, I like it!  It will look good on that Blue.  Those flat black or black-gray pipes just look right on a bike, IMO.

I do wonder what the OL is gonna say about the overspray on her "parts heater" however.  lol

menace

GoFast.....

It will not stay that color which is the problem with the hi temp paint. turns a shade of black/ gray . Did it on my Sons thunderheader
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

aquaman

Looks good.  I see you have chains on the back tire for cold weather riding ; )
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock.
Will Rogers

Tre_11 FLHX

gofast- I have used the HVT Flame pain previously- seemed to hold up decent, tried other brands and they did as you stated.  Bottom line for me is it will look way better than the yellow. blue it did in the past.  Still plan on using the chrome heat shields.

mtnmotorrider

I used Dupli-Color ceramic aluminum color on my hot Mustang exhaust pipes and it is holding up well.  It is rated for 1,000 degrees, I belive.  Looks just like perfessionally applied ceramic header coating.  Jusy make sure you heat cycle it to cure it or it my peel or discolor.
I like most dogs better than most people.

tireater

Dupli-Color ceramic didn't work for me...Came off and made a big mess of my heat tape... :down:

DaleW

I spray the flue for woodburners,use cans of either Charcoal or metallic black.I imagine that the same paint should work on exhausts.
2009 RoadKing Classic

tireater

I only found 2 paints that worked...both 1500deg paint...Hi Temp silicone coating by DEI I got from Summit racing was one...
The other was a 1500deg flat black paint I got from Napa...Both only last a year here...I'm doing my pipe over after the rain...