April 27, 2024, 04:43:24 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Replacing lifters question

Started by sw8tstr8t06, December 22, 2008, 06:04:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sw8tstr8t06

I have a '06 FLHXI 106 stroked. I've been hearing some tapping when I get on the throttle. This happens even when the bike is warm. I'm thinking my lifters might need to be replaced. I believe the builder used the stock lifters.

The question is this...I'm going to replace them with the screaming eagle lifters that I already have. Will I need to do any adjustments? It does have adjustable push rods. Thanks.....

MJ

Tsani

Yes. You will have to deadjust them to remove them to replace the lifters, so yes, you will have to adjust them when you reinstall them. Have you considered readjusting them now? It may be all they need. How many miles on the lifters you have in now?
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Don D

A lifter has a very distinct sound when there is lash. I would be sure that is the noise before digging into it.

sw8tstr8t06

Quote from: Tsani on December 22, 2008, 06:07:53 AM
Yes. You will have to deadjust them to remove them to replace the lifters, so yes, you will have to adjust them when you reinstall them. Have you considered readjusting them now? It may be all they need. How many miles on the lifters you have in now?

They have about 33,000 miles on them.

sw8tstr8t06

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 22, 2008, 06:27:38 AM
A lifter has a very distinct sound when there is lash. I would be sure that is the noise before digging into it.

I think I've checked the typical noises i.e. exhaust, clamps, accessories, fairing etc. or anything that could be making the noise externally. However, my ears are not keen on distinct mechanical noises. It is definitely more pronounced before the motor warms up. Any suggestions/thoughts? Thanks...

FLTRI

I would simply readjust the lifters from scratch and see if/how that affects the noise.
You may just have a lifter a bit on the loose side and it takes time to pump up, but not enough to completely quiet the lash.

Or you you could have a bit of piston slap, which is common if it got real hot along the way and damaged "they call it collapsed", a piston or 2.

Or you could have a lifter with a bit of debris keeping it from getting all the oil and pressure needed.

Or you could have a lifter roller taking a hike and has a bad needle or damaged surface.

Or you could have a rocker arm with a little excess play side to side or damaged contact area between the valve stem and the rocker.

So, with that said, good luck in your endeavour to find the noise and please let us know what you find.
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

02FYRFTR

Quote from: sw8tstr8t06 on December 22, 2008, 06:04:18 AM
I have a '06 FLHXI 106 stroked. I've been hearing some tapping when I get on the throttle. This happens even when the bike is warm. I'm thinking my lifters might need to be replaced. I believe the builder used the stock lifters.

The question is this...I'm going to replace them with the screaming eagle lifters that I already have. Will I need to do any adjustments? It does have adjustable push rods. Thanks.....

MJ

I would not install any Screamin Eagle lifters as they are made for H/D by Jim's and they have a pretty poor track record.  I had a set in a 95' with 50 cams that let loose at 2500 miles broke trunion off front exhaust lifter, no warning.  Better off wwith stock lifters or aftermarket but not Jims/SE.  JMHO

sw8tstr8t06

Quote from: FLTRI on December 22, 2008, 02:41:35 PM
I would simply readjust the lifters from scratch and see if/how that affects the noise.
You may just have a lifter a bit on the loose side and it takes time to pump up, but not enough to completely quiet the lash.

Or you you could have a bit of piston slap, which is common if it got real hot along the way and damaged "they call it collapsed", a piston or 2.

Or you could have a lifter with a bit of debris keeping it from getting all the oil and pressure needed.

Or you could have a lifter roller taking a hike and has a bad needle or damaged surface.

Or you could have a rocker arm with a little excess play side to side or damaged contact area between the valve stem and the rocker.

So, with that said, good luck in your endeavour to find the noise and please let us know what you find.

I'll be pulling the rockers etc. off to check it out. Since it's so cold I'm not too eager to ride. Thanks for the direction.
MJ

RK101

When I put the new tensioners in my bike I went with the AMS lifters. There some fine people to deal with. I tossed my OEM lifters at 22,500miles one of them on the rear cylinder had the clip that holds it all together dancing aound on the base of the pushrod. The only thing holding it together was the pushrod. So far at 46K it still runs fine. No problems. I'd deal with them again.  :up:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

sw8tstr8t06

Quote from: 02FYRFTR on December 22, 2008, 02:54:14 PM

MJ

I would not install any Screamin Eagle lifters as they are made for H/D by Jim's and they have a pretty poor track record.  I had a set in a 95' with 50 cams that let loose at 2500 miles broke trunion off front exhaust lifter, no warning.  Better off wwith stock lifters or aftermarket but not Jims/SE.  JMHO

Thanks, I've heard that somewhere before. I didn't know SE lifters were made by Jims.

sw8tstr8t06

Quote from: RK101 on December 22, 2008, 03:06:44 PM
When I put the new tensioners in my bike I went with the AMS lifters. There some fine people to deal with. I tossed my OEM lifters at 22,500miles one of them on the rear cylinder had the clip that holds it all together dancing aound on the base of the pushrod. The only thing holding it together was the pushrod. So far at 46K it still runs fine. No problems. I'd deal with them again.  :up:

I'll check them out. Thanks...

les

My suggestion is one thing at a time.  If it were me I'd put the new lifters in and see if it made a difference.  That is a very quick and easy thing to try especially if you've already got the lifters.  Remember, if you need to go deeper the lifters are reusable...so no loss.  If not lifters making the noise then move on to examination of the rocker arms (examining the shafts and end-play), then checking the pinion runout, and as a last effort popping the heads and taking a look inside the jugs.  But in my opinion...one thing at a time.

Last time I ran into this situation was on an EVO and throwing in a set of lifters solved the problem without breaking the seal on the engine.

Deye76

SW8, hope it's only a lifter caught early. Many documented failures of SE/Jims lifters. That said.....33,000 and the short skirts on 106 pistons,.... well let's hope all is well. :up:
East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

1sg

are you running Rinehart TD's if so there is an O2 sensior just under the cam plate, if it get loose it will give you a variety of sounds, bad lifters, cam chain tensiors, and so on.

noliners

S/S lifters work great for my build. very quiet - dont know who makes them for S/S-- 131 t/c woods tw68/ HP inc 56/boarzilla sleeper
131 Roadking "No Replacement for Displacement"

Bakon

Quote from: sw8tstr8t06 on December 22, 2008, 03:21:38 PM
Quote from: 02FYRFTR on December 22, 2008, 02:54:14 PM

MJ

Thanks, I've heard that somewhere before. I didn't know SE lifters were made by Jims.

Have them for 16,000 miles with .650 lift cams, no problems. Feuling pump and support plate. Would have went with Feuling lifters too but already had them. If any down fall to SE lifters to me, its the cost.
wasting time

sw8tstr8t06

Quote from: 1sg on December 23, 2008, 04:10:07 AM
are you running Rinehart TD's if so there is an O2 sensior just under the cam plate, if it get loose it will give you a variety of sounds, bad lifters, cam chain tensiors, and so on.

Yes, I am running Rinehart TD's. However, I don't have senors in the bung. The '06 didn't come with sensors. Thanks....

sw8tstr8t06

Quote from: Deye76 on December 22, 2008, 05:03:12 PM
SW8, hope it's only a lifter caught early. Many documented failures of SE/Jims lifters. That said.....33,000 and the short skirts on 106 pistons,.... well let's hope all is well. :up:

Mannn....I'm with you on that one...  :emsad:

Neckball

When you pull it down, check the inside of the pushrod tubes at the top.  Sometimes, especially with adjustable pushrods, they'll rub and possibly cause a little noise.  It's an easy thing to fix, though.
05 RK Classic, Black Cherry
IBA member #32738

1sg

sorry, I mean the sensior plug. it's between the can cover and trans cover,on the inside of the pipe,  mine has come loose 2 times, 

sw8tstr8t06

Quote from: 1sg on December 24, 2008, 03:42:20 AM
sorry, I mean the sensior plug. it's between the can cover and trans cover,on the inside of the pipe,  mine has come loose 2 times, 

Thanks, I would not have thought of that.

MJ