Stripping Heritage for Top End Work / Question?

Started by tinkerman, December 22, 2008, 06:46:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tinkerman

Hey Folks,

Stripped the Heritage down last night so I can dismantle the topend of the motor. No big issues but I had to cut off one of my allen keys to loosen the allen bolts on the intake mainfold and then taper the long end to make it easier to spin the bolt out.

I remember having to alter a few wrenches when I was working on the Nortons as well and I still have the wrenches in my wrench drawer with an elastic around them. Any other suggestions for working on that that allen bolt (front cylinder, right hand side). I tried a bunch of different allen drivers but nothing would fit except the MacGuivered one. I was thinking more along the lines of something that you could get a torque reading on when it goes back together.

No big deal, I can just snug it up by feel when the time comes but for sure someone out there that works on these machines on a regular basis has a better solution.

I'll be hitting this board up on a regular basis through the winter as I go though the top end.

Thanks in advance.

Tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

psyco369

kiwidave

I do recall  last time I had my manifold on/off that a little hex bit (the kind that fits into a socket, like out of a kit) *REALLY* helped in one or two of those tight corners.

Now, the socket and handle did not fit, but one of those bits and  the right size RING (closed-end) spanner sure got the job done.

Ball-end allen keys, cut down or not, had to go in at such an  angle that when the going got tight, slippage occurred.

(this was on a Ramjett manifold, your mileage may vary!)

crash1292

on my twin cam I found its a lot easier to pull the intake if the rocker boxes are removed first

buzzurd

Cut off an allen wrench and use that size combination wrench to remove or loosen bolts.Worked for me.
Buzzurd

Wicked

The bolts on the right side of the motor - use a ball end long allen socket.
On the left side - replace them with 5/16" X 3/4" UNC hex head bolts. Life will be much easier!