April 27, 2024, 05:09:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

gen n oil light came on

Started by trash, November 16, 2010, 10:05:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

trash

i was ridden then my gen light n oil light both came on i stop check my oil it was full  so i took off agian on it it started to cut in and out  it had power then it didn't i took the cable off the battery it stay run still not right this is my first bike so i don't know much about if anyone can point me n way to check  i do know this is runny down the battery plus if i give it gas the two light get brighter at ideal they dim down it a 1980 sporty                                thanks for any help

Lew

Just a guess, but the first thing that comes to mind is the ignition switch is going bad.  Bad contacts there, either internally or on the back at the wire terminals, could cause all the symptoms you described.  Good luck!

Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

saltcaveminer

check for loose or corroded ground.sportys sometimes have lit indicators at idle but the lights should go out at higher rpm.check the battey voltage at idle and then when reving above 2000 rpm.Salty

trash

thanks ill check boyh when i get home