April 28, 2024, 01:43:54 AM

News:

Run without headlight.......

Started by ModelABob, December 22, 2008, 09:40:56 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ModelABob

How do I "correct" the wiring on my '94 FLSTN Softail from the way the factory has it.  You know, so I can turn the switch to ignition and start the bike without the headlight coming on.  And then have the bike running with the headlight at the lights position on the ignition switch?  :teeth:

Merry Christmas & AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

dubepj

There is a short yellow jumper wire on the ignition switch that has to be removed, then it will start without the headlight and if want lights go to the next position.
Caution If you live in Canada it's not legal to run without the headlight.

ModelABob

Hey dubepj,

My bike has only orange and tan jumper wires connecting different posts on the ignition switch, same as the factory
wiring diagram!  Is the orange wire the one you mean, but you accidental said yellow? :smileo:

harleydave51

My 89 FXRS is set up that way and it almost killed me.
I started the bike with lights out and forgot to turn them on.
Couple miles down the road a cager coming the other way
didn't see me and left turned right into me. Life flighted.....
yada yada. I was laid up almost a year. I always turn lights
on when I start it now. Better safe than sorry.
WTF, Run amuk
89 FXRS
MASShole

ModelABob

harleydave51,

I know what your say'n bro, but I still like the idea of not running the headlight if I don't want too!
Thanks for your input. :teeth:

sandrooney

People do not see motorcycles. Our minds are trained to look for cars,we see them because we ride. Please run your lights. I you disconnect it you WILL forget to turn them on.
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

choseneasy

I think it is a little easier on the regulator also to run with the headlight on.

Mark222

My 85 came factory with a 3 position switch.  OFF - RUN w/o Lights - Run with Lights.

I have only been stopped 3 times on this bike since purchased back then, once for speeding, twice for no lights burning, IL and FL, about 20 years apart.  Got warnings both times :smile:

I changed the switch a few years ago (age) bith bought another just like it.

Mark

paulkay

Pull the dash and look at the switch, if necessary turn the switch to on and then to lights. If there is one wire connecting the two positions remove one end and see if you have the change you wanted. If the change is OK tape the heck out of the removed terminal and set it under a little, if you sell the bike or want to change back it is easy to do. I disconnected mine while under warranty on my '87 just to ease starting battery load.

surf

While it's off look at the bottom/underneath it and you can see which terminal is hot in each position. Put the lighting wire on the lug you want. I have the accesory wire and ignition going on in first position, and all on in the second. Accesory circuit runs the brake lights.

Red=ignition
blue=lights
orange=accesory
tan=hot

ModelABob

Thanks for all the info. guys, mucho appreciated. :smile:  Hope everybody had a save and sane Christmas! :teeth:

Happy New Year & AMF/Ride Safe :wink: