April 27, 2024, 05:31:37 PM

News:

shock boots for stockers?

Started by HDSlowride, December 22, 2008, 04:27:21 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

HDSlowride

My shock boots on my '02 dresser have both split in several places at the sharp creases. My parts book doesn't show a part number for the boots themselves. Aren't they replaceable?
'07 Ultra Classic

FLTRI

I believe you can obtain those from a Honda dealer as they use the same shocks on their touring rigs as well.

However, if it were me I would opt for a set of new take-off shocks from eBay or a dealer. Or just buy new ones.

Your shock probably have many miles and are over 6 years old so their performance is degraded.

Aftermarket shocks can be an alternative but most do not allow for air adjustable preload, and the ones that do are very pricey.

Money being one of my many limitations  :wink:, I have found new take-offs every year or 2 keeps my bike handling like new as long as I maintain and replace the other wear items suh as swingarm mounts, engine alignment links, tires, wheel bearings, etc.
HTH,
Bob
The best we've experienced is the best we know
Always keep eyes and mind open

Kleetus

I stopped by my local HD dealer and inquired about this. One of the mechanic's gave me a boot off a spare shock laying in the shop. I later purchased a pair of take off shocks for $50. But as you suspect, HD doesn't list the boots separately.

Kleetus

FLTRI

Well yes, I believe you can get them as well as other replacement parts from a Honda dealer (they use the same shock), however those shocks are probably over 6 years old and have a few thousand miles on them. :smile: Typically replacement IMO, should be after 20k. After all, they are a wear item yet a lot of owners assume they last forever. Some folks even buy add-on dodads in an attempt to return their bike's handling to its original state, when simply replacing wear items such as shocks, tires, swingarm bushings, wheel bearings, and engine alignment links will do the trick.
Here's a suggestion: Go to eBay and find a set of new take-offs from someone who is vertically challenged or simply wanted to drop their bike an inch or so.
These will be upgraded shocks both in dampening and spring rate, not to mention they will make your bike feel new again. :teeth:
As always, JMHO, Bob

tireater

Got a set of new takeoff 09 bagger shocks off e bay for less than $50 delivered... :up:
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

HDSlowride

Thanks for the advice about the take-offs. Guess I'm used to the ride but at 74,000 miles, they might be getting a little tired. They do still hold their air pressure for a couple months at a time. I usually run 8-10 lbs for a firm ride. I like the firm feel for the hard twisties.
'07 Ultra Classic

FLTRI

Quote from: HDSlowride on December 22, 2008, 08:24:59 PM
Thanks for the advice about the take-offs. Guess "I'm used to the ride but at 74,000 miles, they might be getting a little tired". They do still hold their air pressure for a couple months at a time (not an indication of spring and dampening quality, just air tightness). I usually run 8-10 lbs for a firm ride. I like the firm feel for the hard twisties.

Typically my experience with these shocks are the older they get more air pressure is necessary to keep them from bottoming on undulations and sharp bumps. This is due to the relatively inexpensive springs that sag over time and use, as well as dampening valving relaxing causing less dampening capability, which induces pogoing.

Typically I start with fresh shocks with 5-10lbs - solo no extra load and 15-20lbs - 2up loaded to, after 20k miles, needing 20-30lbs solo no extra load and 40-50lbs 2up loaded to keep the suspension working in its sweet spot.

I am certainly not saying this to contradict your own findings but it is based on my personal evaluations from 3 FL chassis' (1 ULTRA & 2 RGs) with a combined 250,000+ miles on over the past 15 years.
I do spend a lot of time in the Sierra Nevadas and local NorCal twisties hauling AZZ as much as I can get away with. :smilep:

As always, JMHO, Bob

crazy joe

If I was to get some take off shocks for my bikes, 98 and 03 how far back can I go
from 09 or will 09 shocks fit a 98 and a 03?  I doubt that I can find some new take
off shocks for a 03 or a 98. Thanks in advance.

FLTRI

Quote from: crazy joe on December 23, 2008, 04:57:55 AM
If I was to get some take off shocks for my bikes, 98 and 03 how far back can I go
from 09 or will 09 shocks fit a 98 and a 03?
  I doubt that I can find some new take
off shocks for a 03 or a 98. Thanks in advance.
They are all the same mounting with minor, but better improved spring rates and, most importantly, better dampening.

crazy joe