April 27, 2024, 08:35:41 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

high idle AFTER warm up

Started by Podunker, November 03, 2008, 06:35:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Podunker

'71 flh (stock Bendix carb) idles fine upon startup and slightly warm, but after it is fully warmed up it idles way too fast.  Intake leak after it warms up from heat expansion?  Or is that idea totally boneheaded?  Anybody have an idea?

Mule

Sounds like it could be an intake leak, the Bendix has seals on the throttle shaft that can wear out and cause the symptoms you describe. If you have the stock mechanical advance it could be weak springs and worn parts causing it to stick in the advanced position after it gets hot, causing the fast idle also...Check the manifold seals as well..good luck...Mule...

76shuvlinoff

November 03, 2008, 05:01:41 PM #2 Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 06:04:35 PM by 76shuvlinoff
  Gotta agree check those advance springs and intake leaks. The first problems I overcame on my sled 15 years ago were both of those issues at the same time, had me running in circles.

....then there was the wirin'   :'(

Mark
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

Podunker

Thanks to both of you.  I will look into your suggestions.  I have all winter now to get it right.  I might just slap on the CV I have sittin' around and see how that works.  Thanks again.

MMOCGuy

I too have to agree.

It is likely one of the things mentioned by the other guys.

Norm.