April 28, 2024, 05:56:24 AM

News:

lifters

Started by bigjon460, December 22, 2008, 04:40:44 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

bigjon460

I have a set of S/E lifters in my bike that I want to change out. I also have a set of AMS lifters. my question is what is the concensus on AMS lifters I know the Jim's have a bad rep but what kind of issues if any are being had with the AMS. I just don't want to exchange one problem for another
Bigjon

sgliders

I had a new set of AMS that one lifter malfunctioned and siezed a valve guide. Its not worth expirmenting! Use the factory stuff. :emsad:

02FYRFTR

Quote from: sgliders on December 22, 2008, 05:09:57 PM
I had a new set of AMS that one lifter malfunctioned and siezed a valve guide. Its not worth expirmenting! Use the factory stuff. :emsad:

Factory or Crane Chevy lifters all the others that I have used are only more expensive.  JMHO

Kleetus

I had a friend with a Road Glide that had the typical Twin Cam noisy top end. AMS sold him a set of their top secret lifters with promises of curing everything from noisy valve train to warts on his feet. He had the shop install the lifters and there was no difference in the noise. Seems like most of the guys around here recommend the HD "B" lifters unless you are racing and need high RPM applications.

He got discusted and sold the RG and bought a FJR1300. I guess he wanted to go fast quietly.

Kleetus

Sonny S.

Quote from: Kleetus on December 22, 2008, 06:08:08 PM
I had a friend with a Road Glide that had the typical Twin Cam noisy top end. AMS sold him a set of their top secret lifters with promises of curing everything from noisy valve train to warts on his feet. He had the shop install the lifters and there was no difference in the noise. Seems like most of the guys around here recommend the HD "B" lifters unless you are racing and need high RPM applications.

He got discusted and sold the RG and bought a FJR1300. I guess he wanted to go fast quietly.

Kleetus

well, what about the warts ?  :wink:

Kleetus

Not sure about the warts. He goes so fast on the FJR I never see him. Maybe the high speed of the Yamaha will blow the warts off.

Kleetus

Eglider05

December 22, 2008, 06:38:50 PM #6 Last Edit: December 22, 2008, 06:41:15 PM by Eglider05
Quote from: bigjon460 on December 22, 2008, 04:40:44 PM
I have a set of S/E lifters in my bike that I want to change out. I also have a set of AMS lifters. my question is what is the concensus on AMS lifters I know the Jim's have a bad rep but what kind of issues if any are being had with the AMS. I just don't want to exchange one problem for another

I don't what is meant by them being "top secret" but I replaced a set of lifters (not HD) supplied with my engine kit with the AMS and they did help quiet my top end down. Maybe the original lifters were bad but in my case the swap helped.

Rick

Kleetus

That's great that the lifters worked for you. My friend wasn't so happy though. I have a Ford F-150 with 230K miles on the original lifters and they are still quiet. I wish Ford built an F-150 motorcycle. I'd be first in line to get one.

Kleet....

Boris

I have used the AMS lifters, they helped big time. I did have one that acted up and starte making some noise. They sent me a new one. I have another AMS set that is going to go in the S/O's bike this winter yet. Her B lifters make lots of noise.