April 27, 2024, 08:59:35 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

"Check Engine Lamp" remains on.

Started by OVRDO, December 22, 2008, 05:28:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

OVRDO

With 100,000 miles on my 96 FLHR-I, and an on going base gasket leak, I decided to do a top end rebuild. New pistons, lifters, cam, and a complete valve job, etc, along with all new gaskets. Since my Roadking has fuel injection and in those early years, not much in the way of performance could be done, so I have kept this bike as close to stock as possible.After the assembly, the bike started right up, but the engine lamp stayed on. Everything seems to run fine, but the darn light won't go out !!!
Any suggestions would be appreciated. Duct tape is not an option here !!!
Thanks, OVRDO

rigidthumper

Either plug in some kind of diagnostic device (Scanalyzer, Digital Tech, TSII, etc) or follow the procedure in the service manual, to pull the diagnostic trouble codes (DTCs) . Post the results, and someone may be able to get you on the right path.
HTH
Robin
Ignorance is bliss, and accuracy expensive. How much of either can you afford?

OVRDO

After checking everything I possibly could on my bike, I took it in to the Harley dealer and had the scan done. What they found was a code 15, so they wiggled the wiring around the intake air sensor, and it started to run better. I guess when I removed the wiring for the fuel injection, as to do the motor work, I must have pulled a little too hard and yanked a wire out of the connector. The dealer checked out the sensor and it was fine, so, they just had to install a new connector and clear the history codes. I would have never found that broken wire without them doing the scan. It wasn't like the wire was hanging out or anything, I couldn't even tell by looking at it because it was broken inside the shrink wrap. The connector also gave a positive snap when I put all the wiring back on. The dealer really did a nice job for me, and only 2 hours labor. The one thing the dealer did say that was helpful to me, was, if the "Check Engine Light" ever does come on, it will be something electrical not mechanical. As for the motor, thanks to you Paul I'm back on the road. The bike starts right up, there are no more leaks. I got the power, and I'm ready for another 100,000 miles.
OVRDO