May 02, 2024, 02:27:36 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Anybody put a deuce rear wheel on standard softail?

Started by -deuced-, November 30, 2010, 03:08:34 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

-deuced-

Got a little project coming up. Going to put a deuce rear wheel on a 01 standard softail and looking for heads up on anything to look out for. My parts book shows only difference is pulleys but I think that's only because of the finish, paint v polish. Know we'll need a pulley seal. Others have told me only spacers need to be changed. We'll have a better idea this weekend when we can put the bikes together and compare. Haven't even had the tape measure out yet, just been looking at the softy. Rear caliper anti rotation bracket is different. If we have to alter brackets or make spacers, that's no problem. Will deuce tyre fit between standard frame horns? Anyone ever done this? Any pointers?

Velocity1

I've done several fxst 200 tire upgrades using all HD parts, with the exception being the fender struts needed to retro the newer '06-later bobtail fender to the older style frame. On the standard softail, the inner frame horns have to come off in order to get a tire larger than a 150-160 inside the stock swingarm. The second part of making it all work is ultimate tire diameter, (profile), on an 18" rim and rear ride height, including turning bolts around in the outter struts and in some cases machining away a considerable amount of the bolt head for sidewall clearance.

While I know guys that have engineered their own 180mm tire kit using the Deuce wheel on a Deuce, it's no where near the work of putting a wider tire on a standard softail. I think the Deuce wheel can work on the fxst as long as you don't expect to put a tire on it much larger than a 160. Larger than that and the inner frame horns have to come off.  Even the 160 will require you to center the wheel in the swingarm, (stock fxst's are off-set), change wheel spacers to do it and adjust the brake caliper to maintain its relationship with the brake rotor. Then there's the belt pulley that must be adjusted to allow the stock 1 1/8" belt to clear the tire, swingarm, etc. (A 180-200 will require either a chain or a 1" belt/pulley).

What you want to do can be done, but careful planning and taking measurements, (clipboard diagraming), has to be spot on as once you cut/commit there's no turning back. 
'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...