April 27, 2024, 07:58:02 AM

News:

short in lights

Started by kelly73fx1, November 03, 2008, 06:41:29 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kelly73fx1

I ride no lights.  I put the lights on ride 50mi battery very low.

It reads 14v at 2000rpm / lights on.maybe a short  ???

Lew

Quote from: kittykitty on November 03, 2008, 06:41:29 AM
I ride no lights.  I put the lights on ride 50mi battery very low.

It reads 14v at 2000rpm / lights on.maybe a short  ???

It's possible...but unlikely that there is a short in the light circuit.  A short there would burn out a fuse, trip a breaker or if no protection, would toast some wiring.  If there is a short, voltage would be much lower than 14v with the lights on and testing. More likely the battery is tired and has lost it's ability to hold a proper charge when under the added electrical load of the lights.  It also possible the regulator is not working consistently...but less likely.
Check battery voltage with the battery charged and without the engine running, then turn the lights on and note the voltage drop. If the voltage drops below 12v shortly after the lights come on that would indicate the battery is tired and needs replacing.  Good luck
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

harpo1313

kelly73fx1

What lewy 1313 says. i will let you no. The battery is new 3 mo old.

kelly73fx1

Battery had 13v. Motor not runinglights on . The batt .goes down.

If i run it, it goes to 14v @ 2000RPM lights on or off.

Lew

All sounds OK.  Something is intermittently open keeping the battery from charging or something is intermittently shorting to ground.  I'd inspect for solid connections and look for a possible short.  Battery cable connections...check for a good stator plug connection too.
Lew
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

MMOCGuy

What year and model bike?
How many lights do you have that come on when you turn the lights on?

Norm.

kelly73fx1

IT A 73FX  HEAD TAIL DIREC.

kelly73fx1

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

MMOCGuy

Quote from: kittykitty on November 04, 2008, 06:10:07 PM
IT A 73FX  HEAD TAIL DIREC.

OK, Thanks,

The reason I was asking is because I was wondering what battery you had and if the draw of the lights was too much for the alternator to handle.

While the '73 FX does have a small battery and the alternator is also small, just running a headlight, taillight & directionals should not be too much of a load.

I'd follow the suggestions already made - especially the one advising to check all connectors & contacts for a good solid connection and no corrosion.

Let us know what you find.

Hope this helps.

Norm.

kelly73fx1

It a new die-hard bat. ( see pix) And a 32 amp .