May 02, 2024, 05:37:27 AM

News:

Garminzumo 550

Started by Candy_Red_Ultra, December 23, 2008, 06:33:32 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Candy_Red_Ultra

Anyone have the Zumo 550 ? How do you hear this GPS if you dont have Bluetooth ?

IBARider

It usually comes with a vehicle mount cradle w/internal speaker that needs to be powered up with 12v cig lighter plug in.  Or... 1/8' coax plug from your motorcycle cradle to your stereo.  If you're running this thing on battery and no cradle.... no sound.  It does not have an integral speaker... Who would steal one of these guys without all the 'stuff' that goes with it?
It slid 112 feet and I had no road rash

Candy_Red_Ultra

glad to hear it has a speaker... local HD has one but doesn't know anyting about it yet. I was hoping it would go into the MP3 port on my 08 Ultra but was afraid to find out the hard way.

mark98012

I have a 550 (only used it once) and there is no speaker in the car cradle. Of course if my wife is correct (most of the time) then I've missed something. Well?

Mark
Mark98012

Candy_Red_Ultra

and did it come with a cable to put it into a stereo ?

italianheritage

I picked up a black cable, approx 36 inches long, at Radio Shack.  I also bought a 90 degree adapter for the aux port so it would fit tighter to the radio.  I think I spent about $13.00 for the two pieces.  Might be cheaper cables out there but RS is only a mile from my house.
Mark

Coyote

Quote from: mark98012 on December 23, 2008, 07:23:44 AM
I have a 550 (only used it once) and there is no speaker in the car cradle. Of course if my wife is correct (most of the time) then I've missed something. Well?

Mark

The car cradle for the zumo does have an amp and speaker inside it. The motorcycle mount does not but if you really want the audio, you can add a patch cable from the motorcycle mount to the aux jack on your bike radio. When I installed mine, I used an RF modulator so the zumo audio would be available on FM 105.9 (without any cords showing) but I rarely use it.

Tsani

Providing your Zumo didn't come from the dealer, it should have came with several mounts. The one to mount on the bike does not have external speakers, the one for the car does, but requires an external power source. You can do like others did and get an extra cable or use a blue tooth earpiece or head set. You don't need a phone to use it. However, this unit will also link to your bluetooth capable phone as well, if you want to get phone calls while riding. I usually don't use the sound, the damn things as bad as my OL when I deviate from the flight plan! Here's a link showing my set up: http://fullthrottlegaragehawgtalk.mylava.net/index.php?load=13&gid=9264&arg=470&page=2
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Flat Dog

If you buy the ZUMO from Garmin, you get the cradle and extras. If you buy from HD-the extras are a lot of extra $. Buy Garmin, skip Harley version.

chaos901

Coyote got it right.  The car mount has a speaker, the unit has an accessory plug that can be run to the radio for motorcycle use.  Personally I do not use that feature, reminds me of backseat driving I suppose.
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

tc88hog

December 23, 2008, 03:59:12 PM #10 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 04:19:00 PM by tc88hog
The MSRP of the HD unit is not much more than the MSRP of the Garmin branded unit and you get a 2 year warranty if you have the the dealer install it on a new bike purchase. The HD unit also comes with all the HD dealer POI's preloaded. You cannot get the HD POI's on the Garmin branded unit. The HD handlebar mount is superior to the RAM mount that comes with the Garmin branded unit IMHO. The HD Zumo  mounts to the clutch perch rather than using a U-Bolt over the handlebar.  I think it's much cleaner and a more secure way to mount the Zumo. Just my .02.

Here's the cost breakdown:

HD              Garmin
Zumo                    $799.95         $964.27
Handlebar Mount     $ 79.95          included
Car Mount             $119.95         included
                         =======         =======
                           $999.85         $964.27

Flat Dog

Minus the extras Garmin gives you free-Harley makes you pay for.  LOL

seattledyna

how are they going to keep up with all the POI's with the dealers closing left and right?!

Tsani

Quote from: tc88hog on December 23, 2008, 03:59:12 PM
The MSRP of the HD unit is not much more than the MSRP of the Garmin branded unit and you get a 2 year warranty if you have the the dealer install it on a new bike purchase. The HD unit also comes with all the HD dealer POI's preloaded. You cannot get the HD POI's on the Garmin branded unit. The HD handlebar mount is superior to the RAM mount that comes with the Garmin branded unit IMHO. The HD Zumo  mounts to the clutch perch rather than using a U-Bolt over the handlebar.  I think it's much cleaner and a more secure way to mount the Zumo. Just my .02.

Here's the cost breakdown:

HD              Garmin
Zumo                    $799.95         $964.27
Handlebar Mount     $ 79.95          included
Car Mount             $119.95         included
                         =======         =======
                           $999.85         $964.27

I believe you may be mistaken.
I bought my Zumo 550 at PCNation.com, $599.00 shipped. And My Ram mount which came with the kit was the ubolt type. Third, you can download and load the HD POI's, free.
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Coyote

You can get the Garmin version for much less than $964.

Coyote

Quote from: seattledyna on December 23, 2008, 04:25:54 PM
how are they going to keep up with all the POI's with the dealers closing left and right?!

There's a guy who sends out a HD POI file every 6 months or so. You can also edit the file yourself. The dealer locations are built into the HD model. I have no idea how you update those. Much easier to use the Garmin branded unit.

Candy_Red_Ultra

Those are a wide range of prices.... worth looking around I think.

Ken R

The Zumo 550 is great.  I've had mine for about 18 months, maybe more.  I use it every time I travel out of the city.  Also I take it on airlines when I travel by air.  It's fun to watch the progress on the little map.  Flight crew thinks it's a game-boy, they've never asked. 

Buy from TVNAV.com.  I've purchased several Garmins from his establishment.  His price is good and discounted with store credits.  You can easily do your own mount from aftermarket sources.

Ken

Bakon

wasting time