May 08, 2024, 08:02:01 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Dunlop E3's ... in the snow

Started by Sonny S., December 05, 2010, 06:50:18 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Sonny S.

Anyone have any experience with E3's in snow ?
My 402's were good, but the E3's don't look like they will be. That's what I'm runnin on my 01 Ultra.....and winter is here  :cry:
30% chance of snow showers in the AM, gotta 35 mile ride to work
That means 70% chance of no snow  :teeth:

I don't intentionally ride in it but, ..chit happens

Tsani

What makes you think they won't do well?
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

PoorUB

What makes you think they won't do well?

My guess is the thread on the E-III is not very agressive looking.

To Sonny, I have run the E-III's in snow and they did fine. My guess the 800 pound Ultra had something to do with it too.

Personally, I would avoid riding that far in the snow and find some other mode of travel. 5-10 miles is doable, but if the roads are really slick, it will not matter what you have for tires it may be a dangerous ride. If you there are cars in the ditch, it is definately not motorcycle weather!
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

Sonny S.

yeah it's the tread. heck most of the tire is slick. They are great on dry road and rain.
I agree, it's dangerous no matter what the tire.
I need a side hack  :wink:

Tsani ...are you running E3's ?  Wednseday is looking dry....just a little chilly .. 20-30*  :wink:

tinkerman

I don't know guys..

I have been riding a bike for my share of years and I have unintentionally got them out on some slippery stuff from time to time,,(early morning black ice and such)  but this whole snow thing blows my mind. Every now and then I run across someone who is expecting winter conditions and where I would park the bike they are planning on cruising on through it. Worked with a couple of guys down in Nevada 10 years back or so and they used to come across the mountain passes when trucks were putting on their chains...or at least that is what they told me when they arrived at our job site with their bikes crusted up pretty good with road crap.

So, not to hijack the thread, but how many folk here would set out for a ride knowing they might be riding in snow before the end of the day. I vote "no f&%king way". Not to start an argument here...just wondering if I am missing something. Maybe I need to upgrade my riding skills....

tink
Living on a rock out in the North Atlantic, HTT member since 8/1/2003

marc

Quote from: Sonny S. on December 05, 2010, 06:50:18 PM
Anyone have any experience with E3's in snow ?

Nope...I would stay home, call a friend, rent a wreck, or take a cab...

Good luck...

mayor

Sonny, U R In sane.....  :teeth:  with that said, I wouldn't try my luck with those tires.   :nix:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

IndyHarley

December 06, 2010, 06:11:53 AM #7 Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 06:14:04 AM by IndyHarley
I ride year around regardless of temperatures and will ride in the rain of course but not in the snow. It has to many possibilities of being very hazardous, temps usually can get to and below freezing when it snows - snow being driven over by anything will eventually result in ice or at least a  slippery road - When it's ice covered or slippery it doesn't matter what tires you have or how many wheels you have (and that includes jokers that think 4x4 will stop you from sliding) you will have negative results.

I've been living nearly 64 years and life has taught me many things and two things are to not think I am invincible and don't ride on motorized two wheels in the snow.
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander

Big Dan

When I was in my early 20's I spent a winter riding back and forth to work. My truck croaked, and I was broke. My bike at the time ('76 XLCH) was torn down so I had to borrow my brother's highly modified Water Buffalo (GT750 Suzuki). There's not too many things that are quite like a hot 2-stroke when it "gets on the pipe"...especially in the snow. Good times.

Never follow the Hippo into the water.

Tsani

December 06, 2010, 07:33:18 AM #9 Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 07:46:06 AM by Tsani
Sonny, I am running  :smileo: Metzelers. Haven't had the problems some say they are having. Been icing up around here a bit.

As for riding in snow, well, it does induce a pucker factor at times, but so does things like rain or coming across a fuel oil spill suddenly! . I have been caught in a ice storm in Abilene Tx. It was either go or freeze to death. Got caught in the beginnings of a blizzard in Boston. Did you know it can snow in June in the mountains? Yup. A lot of my riding in snow occured before today's access to weather technology especially while mobile. And while I do not actively seek to ride ride in the snow, snow happens. I didn't learn to drive a car till I was 28. Been riding since I was 9. I ride every chance I can get. Weather happens and like life, I deal with it. That being said, it's not for everyone.
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Sonny S.

I don't see snow on the road and say..hmmm, think I'll go for a putt.
I do ride year round, and have been caught in snow several times.
Weather forcaster's aren't that accurate....you know ? Snow can sneak up on you just like rain....not the same hazard..I know.
My vehicle ain't the greatest, and both my bikes are pretty reliable....so I ride most times. I keep the truck close to home. I'm not saying it's the smartest thing to do.....but I never claimed to be.......

Tsani

Well according to all the "normal" people, if we was smart, we wouldn't ride murder sicles!
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Sonny S.

Quote from: Tsani on December 06, 2010, 08:27:32 AM
Well according to all the "normal" people, if we was smart, we wouldn't ride murder sicles!

I AIN'T SKEERED !!   :hyst:

Princess Butt

Last time I rode in significant snow, it was on a set of Avon's.

Around here, I wouldn't ride in the snow if given the choice. It's not the motorcycle I'm scared of. it's all the maroons in cages who would just stare and forget they have to stop before they plow into me or someone else.

Shiny side up, rubber side down.

Justpassingas

30% chance of snow showers in the AM, gotta 35 mile ride to work
That means 70% chance of no snow  :teeth:

I'll take those odds anyday....
For Duty and Humanity

Sonny S.

BTW....I never said I was riding 35 miles in the snow.
I just asked about how the E3's do in snow incase I got caught in it.

Yup....it's happened before

R.Bingham

I'll ride when its cold and I'll ride when its wet. But I ain't riding when its cold and wet unless I absolutely life and death situation am required too. :smileo:

Tsani

December 06, 2010, 09:43:05 AM #17 Last Edit: December 06, 2010, 09:50:52 AM by Tsani
First off, a legit question was asked and like most things on this forum, it spun into several areas. So no, I don't think it was a shot about asking if it was okay to ride in the snow or bad weather. Second, Sonny never said he was going to start out riding on snow covered roads and like you said hd06myway, "Potty mouth" happens. 70% chance of no precip is pretty damn good. Third, Sonny never said anything about thinking it was cool to do so. As for the corrosive crap spread on the roads, if I parked my bike untill the stuff was off the roads, I wouldn't ride till June. Not going to happen. I know how to clean my ride. I bought the bike to ride it and ride it I will. I have friends that that have 12000 on a 1999. Why bother IMHO. But it's their bike, their life, not mine, so I woun't judge them. They do what they do and I do my thing.

As far as I am concern, the biggest cause of death is living. There is a 50 percent chance you will die today. Better stay in bed! No, wait a minute now, how many people die in bed?.....
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Tsani

BTW Sonny, I will try the E-3's when they make them in WWW. Gotta have those gangsta white walls!
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Sonny S.

Quote from: Tsani on December 06, 2010, 09:46:54 AM
BTW Sonny, I will try the E-3's when they make them in WWW. Gotta have those gangsta white walls!

You and Mayor   :wink:

TXChop

I know how ya feel Sonny..Got caught in the snow this morning taking a customers trike to work a test ride..

Trikes can be a little slippery in the snow too. Front tire didnt want to hold on a turn.. :wink:

mayor

Quote from: Sonny S. on December 06, 2010, 09:52:15 AM
Quote from: Tsani on December 06, 2010, 09:46:54 AM

You and Mayor   :wink:
:up: yep, I'll be second in line.   :teeth:

see Sonny, TX just found the answer to your earlier trike question.  You was thinking back wheel traction....the front's the problem.   :wink:  looks like you need to go side hack.... :teeth:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Sonny S.

Dave Mann did a spread of a Trike with a Ski mounted up front instead or a tire    :bike:

calgary56

Not intentional, but sometimes, sh_t happens

Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !

calgary56

"Weather forcaster's aren't that accurate" ... 'bout the only time they're right, is when they're talkin' 'bout YESTERDAY'S weather
Live Long, ... Out Ride the Reaper !