April 27, 2024, 05:43:25 PM

News:

Handlebars on a Road King.

Started by Admiral Akbar, December 23, 2008, 12:08:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Admiral Akbar

Since I got the RK, been enjoying it but one think I noticed is that the stock bars make me reach a little and they seem a little wide.. I've sort of been looking for replacement bars that come back, up and a little closer together. There are the "reach" bars that claim to come back 2 inches but they look like they need cables.. The ones I've been looking at is the heritage bars. They are stainless (my favorite shinny metal) and seem to do what I want.. Any one install these on a circa 02 road king. Did they need any cable changes? Don't want to change the seat as the like floorboards where they are.

Number is 56902-08

TIA
Max

JBarrettB

Max, consider the Heritage bar. It will solve your reach problem and will not require the replacement of anything. All of the cables, the wiring, and the brake line will reach without issue.

Merry Christmas!
CAUTION: Comments may be sarcastic, clarification available upon request.

RK101

I also removed mine.
Another option is the RK high bars. I like them set at the same angle as the front fork. Everythings in line from the axle to the top of the handlebars. I'm 5'11" tall so if your shorter than that maybe the Heritage bars would be the best for you.  Hope this helps.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

gtmalone

might think about the seat, too.  I have a friend with an RK with the same problem.  He put on higher bars and a Corbin close seat.
2002 Heritage Springer - "Ruby"
95ci - 44mm carb - Andrews 21N cams

oldmansbike

I would go with the Heritage bars. No cable or brake line changes. Had them on my 01 Roadking and put them on my 05 Fatboy too. Alot better than stock bars.
RIDE TO EAT AND EAT TO RIDE

markymark

This is just a suggestion. I just installed a set of Heli-Bars on my wifes 07 Deluxe. The enourmous of omount of adjustment is a big help for riders of all sizes. Go to their website at www.helibars.com and check them out. Excellent quality. The adjustment range is huge. I will tell you that they are rather pricey, but it was well worth the cost. They also have them for the touring bikes.

Admiral Akbar

Thanks Guys,

Went down to SDHD, ashed the salesman if he had a heritage I could look at for the bars. He said, "The 09s are taller but I run the older ones on my Roadking"  I go over to the parts department and ask the one of the guy if he's got the bars.. He hunts around and digs out a set.. Al, one of the old timer parts guys says, "heritage bars eh, run those on my roadking, 56569-86". Sure enough the numbers match.. I suspect that the number below is for the newer bikes...

Max   

Admiral Akbar

December 23, 2008, 09:35:00 PM #7 Last Edit: December 23, 2008, 09:37:37 PM by MaxHeadflow
Here ya go

Before...

After...

Sorry about the blurriness of the second pic.. One of those short earthquakes we have here in socal...  :wink:  Max

Admiral Akbar

FWIW,

I like the looks of the original bars better but the Heritage bars are so much more comfortable.. The stock bars turn my wrists at a bad angle, made them hurt.. I've busted both hands at one time or another.. One twice.. Max

FSG

now if you could just pan to the right.    :teeth:

Al

I have used stock dyna wideglide bars on a preious rk i owned and also a freinds, same height as a heritage but more comfortable.
al

Ricinflorida

I went with wild1 508's and at the same time ran the wires inside the bars which cleaned it up a bit. The bar came a little more which allows me to bend my arms a bit. As with any bar change keep in mind you may need to change cables if the change differs too much from stock.

http://www.wild1inc.com/

Ric

Bob04RK

I installed Heritage bars on my 04 RK and I think they work really good. No more pain between the shoulder blades.

mayor

December 24, 2008, 06:06:34 AM #13 Last Edit: March 02, 2009, 08:13:06 AM by mayor
Thanks for posting pics Max.  .....as you might realize this thread would have been worthless without pics.  :wink:  I test drove (to buy) a '02 RKC a couple of weeks ago, I know what all of you are talking about with the stock bars.  I din't care for them at all. 

:teeth:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

bouncingVman

December 24, 2008, 06:25:10 AM #14 Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 06:29:21 AM by bouncingVman
I have 12" ape hangers on mine. They are just a little taller than the heritage bars. I like them. Very comfy. They are about as tall as you can go without changing the brake lines. You can go to my hobby page and see them on one of the slide show links at the bottom of the page. The address is in my signature below.
"Todd"
(Northern Iowa; United States)

02roadcling

I now use the HD Pullbacks. Much more comfortable than the Heritage bars I tried for a year.
Stock cables etc.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

ICANTD55

December 24, 2008, 07:23:23 AM #16 Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 07:28:08 AM by ICANTD55
Your gonna like the heritage bars.  :up:
I put the wild ones on wo513 ,they were wider and I had to extend the wireing to run it inside . no problem with the heritage bars I miss the heritage bars though.
RICK , MA

ICANTD55

December 24, 2008, 07:31:50 AM #17 Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 08:08:41 AM by ICANTD55
Looks like you need more space in the garage . I will let you store that V bike at my house. :wink:
Rick
RICK , MA

Admiral Akbar

I think that the heritage bars are almost perfect for me. They'd be a little better if the ends bent down 1/2 inch.. One of my favorite bars is old style sportster buckhorns, I'd bet they'd fit but they are a little harder to steer the bike when you are pushing it around in the garage.. Especially on a bigger bike.. Have a set on a softail evo..

Sonny, plenty of room the garage..   :wink:

Max.

EagleFTE

Stock RK bars are meant to be replace by design I think.  Just another way for the Mo Co to get more money out of us.  The best combination I have used is the RK high bars with a Mustang touring seat and driver back rest.  Better than any set up I have used or I have in my house for that matter!!