May 01, 2024, 04:41:19 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Any regrets and if so......

Started by RKC03, November 03, 2008, 07:26:39 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

RKC03

Just wondering if anyone envies the improvements of the 09's Touring models with it's redesigned frame and if they are gonna trade or wait until we see what 2010 brings?
RKC03

crazy joe

I don't plan on buying a bike any time soon , but if I was
I would wait till 2010. It seems to me H-D makes a change
every year. A big change not something that you can buy
and make work on the bike you have now.

RK101

Not envious a bit of the 09's. Mine has no payment book attached to it. It's and 04 and they'll be no more.
When I get off a bike for the last time it will be the one I already own. ;D
I just can't see me never owning this bike I have. I think it was made on a Wednesday morning right after morning break. I've never had a single factory related problem.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Mike52

If you get caught up in the envy game, you will always lose out, you'll take a beating every time you trade up to the next model. There will be improvements/differences every year, but if you have enough money to flush away, go for it.  JMO

Mike
Mike52   Tampa Bay,FL
www.harleytechtalk.net

x52gnr

I will consider another Ultra when they are watercooled, still look and sound like a Harley and have gone through a couple model years to hopefully get the bugs out......
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

rdf24

Kinda like whats happened to the frame but to go out and buy 09 because of it NO.

Rydr2

I don't envy the new design, but I think I'm going to move towards the touring model.  I will wait to see what the 2010 designs looks like though.

FLH

The new chassis seems nice, but I doubt I'll ever buy a new one. I'm not all that enthusiastic about the TBW stuff and all the computerized crap that makes em run (or NOT run). It kinda takes away from the simplicity of these  V twins which for many of us (me anyway) is what the attraction is. Kinda like putting fuel injection and 02 sensors on an old Johnnypopper JD two cylinder tractor.  Sorry.  :(     

Actually, I'm lookin for an old one. An old shovel project for the winter. Seen a few on Craigslist I'm gonna investigate

RevFastEddy

Regrets... not really. I got my 01 Deuce and she is a beauty queen, both then and now. No payments and no regrets. Trade in... NO  Why would I want to get a new model that I had to start breaking in again.  Like getting a divorse to go and chase a red head in a tight skirt. Eye candy is nice but it is just eye candy. I really am going to stick with my Deuce.
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach

goup811

November 03, 2008, 10:50:02 AM #9 Last Edit: November 03, 2008, 10:59:01 AM by goup811
No regrets, however I agree with X53GNR.  When they hook the VRod motor to the 6 speed tranny and drop it into the touring frame, I'll seriously consider the upgrade.
-- Paul
'03 FLHRI

88b

I'd like one and could buy one ,but it's taken me so long to get a Road Glide into England. Plus I've become attached to my undercarraige and if I get another bike the wife's going to detach it  ::)

Hellraiser

It boils down to your style of riding, if you are into sweepers and fast touring than the 09 is a better choice, as the new frame is more rigid with less flex and wobbles encountered on the older models, as far as i have read no changes tot he turing line up till 2011 with the introduction of the controvorsial water cooled engine.

DarrellV

Quote from: Mike52 on November 03, 2008, 08:07:26 AM
If you get caught up in the envy game, you will always lose out, you'll take a beating every time you trade up to the next model. There will be improvements/differences every year, but if you have enough money to flush away, go for it.  JMO

Mike

Well Said

HIPPO

fltharleyman

I test rode the 09 standard, and I was really impressed with the bike.  I have a 99 fltci, and the 09 definetly handles better, seems lighter to handle, and is more responsive.  But my Dad taught me, never, never buy the first mode year, let them iron out the problems with new manufactruing.  I like the bike, but not enough to get rid of my 99.

HDDOC

The newer case bearings seem to be holding up well, But they still need to do something about the crank and flywheel assembly, then I will be up for a new one again. Nothing worst than buying a new bike just to have it chit the bed, because it was cheaper and easyier for the MOCO to make.  Doc
2019 Tri Glide

Eglider05

I was thinking about this recently, if I were to by an 09 I'd need to spend at least $9K to get it to the point where I would be close to as happy with it as I am my 05. Due to an accident earlier this year I now have a color I'm not seeing next to me at every place I stop.

$1800 - decent seat/shocks/fork springs/handlebars/cables (so it would be as comfortable as my current bike)
$4000 - motor work/exhaust/TMAX (so it would perform close to my current 98" build)
$3000 - (min) on items I have on my current bike that most likely won't fit the 09.
$300 Bagger Brace? - (I hear the 09's still aren't rock steady, maybe a little better than before)

I can't afford a new bike because I know myself too well and I'd be starting the cycle all over again (my wife would kill me), but it would be fun to start from scratch again, maybe in a few years.

Rick

fxstbob

Quote from: fltharleyman on November 03, 2008, 03:24:59 PM
I test rode the 09 standard, and I was really impressed with the bike.  I have a 99 fltci, and the 09 definetly handles better, seems lighter to handle, and is more responsive.  But my Dad taught me, never, never buy the first mode year, let them iron out the problems with new manufactruing.  I like the bike, but not enough to get rid of my 99.

/quote]

Huh, You have a first model year.

Hawg Holler

If I had the money I'd buy an 09 Road King. That's because I'm getting ready to retire and do a lot of long distance riding for the next ten or so years.

Those who talk about simplicity are only talking about the simplicity of working on them without modern technology. I used to wrench a lot. But I'd rather be riding than tinkering and sitting on the side of the highway with my tools laid out on the shoulder. That was OK when I was 21, but it's not for me now.

The new machines, including my 05 Road King, are just so much simpler to operate and are way more reliable than their predecessors. I ride from sea level to 12,000 feet here in Calif. and never have to change a jet. Never have to file and reset points every few miles or dry them off when it rains.

I demoed a new Road King at Sturgis. The new frame is definitely better, the kinks are worked out of the drive train, albeit in a kind of band aid way with that dampener assembly on the rear wheel. The six speed is really nice (although 5th has a whine) The rear fender styling is really nice and clean. And the extra length and bigger rear tire give the bike a little more hauling capacity.
I'm going to wait until 2010 and then probably buy a used 09. That's if my 401k ever comes back up. If not, my 05 is a really nice bike and I only have 57,000 miles on it. I'll do an overhaul at 110,000 or so.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away
Hawg Holler 2005 Road King Classic

PC_Hater

HD don't bring Road Glides into the UK any more - see above! So my 99 RG genuwine UK bike gets modified to make it work better for me in the UK and Europe.
Making the things even heavier for 2009 (why? why? make it lighter!) puts me off. A V-Rod based tourer might tempt me though.
1942 WLA45 chop, 1999 FLTR(not I), 2000 1200S

Dennis The Menace

I have a 07 RG now, and have put a few bucks into it.  I am contemplating a '10 SE Road Glide since I have wanted one for years.  But, my current ride is still putting a smile on my face every ride, so she is gonna be hard to give up.

If I keep my current ride, she is going in for paint and a Baker 7-speed.  Maybe beef up the bottom end of the motor too, then ride her for another 6-8 years.

fattmann101

only if they get rid of tbw. what a night mare. cables worked too well, i guess!

StreetKing

I have a 2008 RK the only thing that I would want from the 09 is the bigger baloney in the back.

Baghr

After six years I'm finally getting my '02 King where I want it.  Seems pointless to start over with a new one to me.  TBW still has some kinks left into it, and I generally try to stay away from new technology in its first year from HD, as there seems more often than not there are bugs to be worked out.

So nah, I'll keep my old one; I only have 60K on the mill and I'm ready to get into the motor soon and play. 

wtxflx

It's AMF all over again. During AMF days they changed almost annually and what fit last year was obsolete this year making it hard to get parts and long waits.
When a new model came out it had a problem like today's cranks

But they still have that HD sound and we all love em'