May 08, 2024, 01:42:51 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

883's. Is there a difference ?

Started by motorplex88, December 16, 2010, 04:33:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

motorplex88

My son is looking at a 05 883R to buy as his first street bike. He asked me what the difference was between the 883 and the 883R engines. I could not answer him as I don't mess with them much other than do some odds and ends for others [oil change, tires, ect]. I know this is the place to find out as I'm just an old shovel guy. Also if anybody has an opinion on them would be great. Thanks.

FSG

The Engine is the same, the R suffix refers to the Sporty being a Roadster Model, Cast Wheels, Dual Disc Front, different colour scheme, .........

Check out http://www.motorcyclespecs.co.za/  a good site for comparing models.

Bigs

Are you sure it's a '05 and not a '06. They don't have a 883R listed for '05 line up. The engines are the same on all the 883's. The R means roadster. It is a little taller for leaning into the turns more and has dual front brakes which is a big help vs. the single left side brake.
   Bigs

FSG

2005 New model: XL 883R:
- Aesthetically "racing" enhanced model 
- two-piston Dual-disc front brake system 
- two-up seat 
- Over three dozen unique components 
- Refer to corresponding service literature for proper servicing procedures

Refer Page 45 of the 2005 Model Year Technical Forum => http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,11173.0.html

motorplex88

Yes it's an 05. I wasn't real sure if the "R" was for roadster or racing as I've heard both ways. Either way it does not matter cause he's pretty excited about trying to get it. He has been saving coin for a while waiting to find something he likes. Found this one at a Ford dealership with 2900mi. on it. Looks showroom new. Gonna go hagle for today. Thanks guys.

motorplex88

Quick update. The 'kid' ended up gettin er bought. They started at $4900 and ended up at $3800. For the miles on it I did'nt think he did to bad. Bike has also got new SE pipes and air cleaner kit. They must not have done anything else cause it sneezes and pops through the carb on acceleration. Found a post by the Mayor for some carb tune tips and will try to get things dialed in. Anyways I'm kinda proud of the kid earning/saving enough at 17 to pay for his own way. Thanks again for the info. [we may need more :hyst:]. This thing came with no books of any kind so we gotta dig some up. 

mayor

$3,800 for an '05, your boy did well.   :up: 

sounds like the bike is probably lean, first thing you want to do is remove the "tamper resistant" plug from the air/fuel screw (plug may already be removed) and see if you can straighten it up by turning the screw out some.  here's a thread that covers lean issues a little more: http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,11234.0.html
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

motorplex88

Yeah, thats the thread that I dug up  :up:. Not gonna mess with the carb to much for right now, colder than a whores heart. Don't fell like warming the shop up.

mayor

yea, it's too cold here too.  :emsad:  my garage is climate controlled too.....it's what ever the climate is outside.   :banghead:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: FSG on December 16, 2010, 06:52:00 PM
2005 New model: XL 883R:
- Aesthetically "racing" enhanced model 
- two-piston Dual-disc front brake system 
- two-up seat 
- Over three dozen unique components 
- Refer to corresponding service literature for proper servicing procedures

Refer Page 45 of the 2005 Model Year Technical Forum => http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,11173.0.html

Those bikes looked fast, sitting still. :up:
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

ricochet

I'm really happy for you guys doing this.  I bet he'll love it.  There's probably no greater motivation for hard work and saving than a toy he'll appreciate.  Unless it's doubling as a babe magnet!

ricochet

motorplex88

The temps yesterday got to around 70 degrees so he got to ride some. I would have gone with him but had to work. Could'nt have slapped the smile off his face if you tried. :teeth: Now all three of my children ride including my daughter. She went out behind my back and bought a Sportster from a buddy of mine that he built from spare parts and sold it to her cheap. I've rode my whole life so I guess it should not bother me cause I've had em riding since they could walk, but seeing them on the streets now kinda scares me. What's weird is it does'nt seem to bother the ol lady. :wtf: 

bigfoot5x

I have to tell ya one of the best days I remember riding was leading a group of 4 bikes. Wife and 2 of our 3 kids behind me riding their Harley's through the country on a pretty spring day. Our son was on a 1200 Custom he bought himself after graduating from college. The daughter was riding an 883L we bought when she turned 15. That 05 883L has close to 20,000 miles on it. My daughter quit riding it because she decided it wasn't "cool" to ride with us. (Her boyfriend helped her make that decision, the SOB) We passed the 883 to my father in law for a while because he always wanted a Harley and now my son is riding it. He had traded his Sportster for a Nightrain and then had a baby. The Nightrain had to go. He was tickled s***less to get the Sportster so he could keep riding. We may never get rid of it now. Sorry about the reminiscing but we have had a lot of fun with these things!

04FLHP

An 883R was my first Harley also. Later turned it onto a 1200 and I now have an 04 Bagger too. For all out fun and good looks you can't beat that Sportster that is why I just couldn't sell it.
I'm sure it will make him a great first bike.