April 27, 2024, 12:38:27 PM

News:

Popping sound . . . Intake leak ?

Started by Ruby, November 03, 2008, 08:01:36 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Ruby

I'm having this ongoing issue with my 02 sportster it's hestitating , popping and stalling
It only seems to happen taking off gearing up 1rst, 2nd, 3rd and then gearing down for a stop
Dosen't seem to do it at cruising speed.
It has this same popping sound rolling on and off the throttle in Nuetral also

Here's my question . . . has anyone ever heard of or tried spraying a shot of brake
cleaner on top end of the motor, to check for a leak.
I had previously checked the pipes, and the intake on the exhaust is snug.
I was told over the week end that this would be a way to tell if there was an intake leak behind the carb
I'm not even sure where to spray it ,
Help please, Thanks in advance, Ruby

Phantom

Spray some WD-40 behind carb where the rubber boot is. I believe brake cleaner spray maybe too combustible.Also if bike had been sitting too long before all this started try a little bit of STP carb cleaner in your gas tank, try a couple tablespoons.

Ruby

Hi Phantom , had posted this on general board too and had gotten a few replys, suggestions, anyways was checking back here before I went out to try the brake cleaner test. Darn ... I was wondering what would happen with the brake cleaner if it was combustable, just didn't ask  :o , yikes now I know. Ummmmmm, what to do , what to do ?
Waiting for the battery to charge back up right now and some courage , lol  dont want to cause an explosion.
I can tell already this is gonna be a fun day !

Panzer

Ruby,
I guess by now you tried the spray trick?
I don't advise brake clean, simply it might be kinda rough on painted surfaces should you over spray.
Let us know how you made out on the spray bit around the carb. mount.
Can advise further if that had no effect.
Panzer
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

Ruby

Hey Panzer, nope haven't got to check for the leak as yet.
Now havin' probs getting the bike to start
I'll post once I get that starting issue lined out
Wish me luck
Ruby

Panzer

Ok.......as you said good luck.
Oh...........put gas in it........then hit the start switch.
Boy-o-boy.....women!
Just kidding  ;)
Everyone wants to change the world but, no one wants to change the toilet paper.

afghanlander

I'm pretty much dumb as a rock, but a couple years ago I had a similar problem.  The metal end was burned off a spark plug wire inside the coil.  I couldn't see it.  I was about 150 miles from home.  I made it all the way home before I found what was wrong. ??? ???

majorboot

Ruby, from your pic you posted you look like your on an 04 1200 Custom? If so, what fuel are you running in it? I was running high octane (98) and it had a rough start and popping so I went back to standard fuel and away went the hard starts and popping. When I actually typed popping sounds and shudders for 04 sportster custom into google...guess what...said to change my fuel to standard not high octane...DOH! Not saying this will fix your problem but give it a shot.

Ruby

Hi Major , Nope . . . It's an 02   
and I've always run reg gas in both my bikes
Thx for the heads up on the fuel tho.

Afghanlander, never thought of checking the plug wires
when I get the starting prob lined out and its running
will definatley check that out.
Thx

Panzer !  >>>  :D

hdsporty481

rube have you checked your air adjustment screw under your carb its a little round tube type thing that hangs down  sounds like you might be running kinda lean  look under your carb and see if the plug is still in it if it is your running way lean  its a little tower type thing that sticks down youll be able to see it,s plugged if it is take out the plug if you know how and close it all the way  tturn it to the right i beleive and turn it back out about 2 and 1 half tunns  dont know if this is the problem but sounds like it could  mabee be good luck ride safe sporty481

harvey

I had the same problem with my 01. I found the diaphragm in the accelerator pump had a hole. Works fine now.