May 09, 2024, 02:09:15 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Break in secrets

Started by hogsty, December 23, 2010, 02:20:36 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

harleyjt

Quote from: hombre912 on December 26, 2010, 08:45:25 AM
My doctors tell me one thing about my condition, my barber tell me otherwise.  Who am I supposed to believe?
The harley engineers say one thing, MotoMan says another.  Who am I supposed to believe?

:agree:

Good analogy.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

Ken R

What are his credentials? 

Where did he get his education and training?

Has he been published (self published on the web doesn't count) 

He's showing 14 pistons.  That's not many motors.  Are we to simply believe what he says regarding those pistons?

He claims 300 motorcycles?  HD does that many in a day.

Looks like he gets a lot of ad income from his site.   

I'm sticking with the factory-recommended break-in. 

RandR

Mmmmm........ The Motor Company, BIG, Been around awhile, responsible for the warranty on 100,000's of engines. Read and follow your owners manual. At least. When you build a hot rod, follow the guy that built it. Your Internet guy has 0 responsibility to anyone! Bob.
BUY MADE IN THE USA
BUY LOCAL

harleytoprock

Motoman claims that if the hone peaks are worn off, you loose the window of opportunity for the rings to seat in. Well, what wore off the hone peaks? The rings! So if the rings wore off the peaks , they must be seated in as well. Therefore the ring irregularities have worn off also. But rings aren't the only thing that are being broken in. Shafts, bearings bushings etc are all being polished in with each other. The biggest enemy of a break-in is heat. I think every one has their own recipe for break-in.  But in the end, unless they are over heated, the end result is all the same.

Ridetard

What you all are missing is a NEW engine is ran for 15 minutes under controlled load at the factory before installation.   I would assume this is when the rings are seated. 

So to build your engine and putt around for a thousand miles would be a waste of time without performing the initial heat cycling.   

A new set of rings will never seat properly unless you heat cycle initially..

RK101

Quote from: hogsty on December 24, 2010, 06:12:49 PM
Quote from: RK101 on December 24, 2010, 11:48:42 AM
I'm not a Motorcycle wrench but when I got my 04 RK I changed the oil and filters in all three holes and at 100,500,and 1000 miles. At that time I switched to Syn oil. I just rode my bike the way I ride it from mile one. Didn't beat it ,didn't baby it. Never had a problem in 56 k. IMO the 100 mile oil and filter change is a must. All three holes might have been over kill but for the amount of money we're talking about it gives you a little extra piece of mind.

How did you ride it the first 100 miles?  Did you happen to screen the oil or cut the filter open?  Just curious how much suspended or filtered material you would find after only 100 miles that would make you call a change at that point a must.   :scratch:

Like I said I just rode it as I always do. Mostly short trips under a 100 miles for the first 1000 miles
No I did not cut open the filter but I did find a lot of junk on the drain plugs and in the bottom of the drain pan. Like I said I believe it's a must. I'm sure others may disagree,but I'm not one bit sorry I drained the oil in all three holes at 100 & 500 miles. If I was to buy a new bike I'd do it all over again. I'm not a wrench but it worked for me and I'm sure it did more good than it did harm.  :teeth:
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

skeets

Hell dont worry about it just freekin ride,,, if its going to be fast it will be if its going to be a dog it will be,, sorry but thats the way it is,, RIDE IT LIKE YOU STOLE IT
Am fear nach gleidh na hairm san t sith, cha bhi iad aige'n am a' chogaidh

Skullfork

I tried that break in procedure when I bought my new '08 SG. At 5,000 miles I took the bike in to the dealer to have a big bore kit installed and this is what the pistons looked like when they opened it up. I've since traded that bike in on an Ultra Limited and took it easy this time on the break in ...just my experience.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

moose

it looks like a lot of carbon probably from the breathers into the intake.

I put mine to the ground (just don't call the EPA on me)
Moose aka Glenn-