May 02, 2024, 03:34:24 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Busted a throttle cable this morning!

Started by still_on2_wheels, December 24, 2008, 11:42:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

still_on2_wheels

December 24, 2008, 11:42:00 AM Last Edit: December 24, 2008, 03:17:34 PM by still_on2_wheels
Right at the light. It just would not go. Ha! Fortunately it was only a mile from the office and I idled in. At lunch I was able to pull the inside cable from the housing and am sporting a manual throttle now.

Pull up with the right hand....clutch with the left.

I should make it home when the holiday shopping traffic dissipates.

Argh!

Jeff
Shiney side up please.

CraigArizona85248

Jeff,

Another option that I've used in the past is to disconnect the idle cable and move it to the throttle side of the linkage (at the carb or throttle body).  You can keep both hands on the handle bars... but the throttle is backwards.  Roll forward to accelerate, roll back to idle.

-Craig

4DWUDS

Craig, I can't think of how many times per second I would have to remind my self that this is gonna hurt if I forget on is off and go means stop.
To Err is human, To Forgive Divine. Neither of which is Marine Corps Policy.

CraigArizona85248

You can fix that by swapping the cable up at the throttle end too.  A little more work, but then everything will operate normally.  :teeth:

-Craig

Sonny S.

One more reason not to have a FBW bike.
Doubt you can rig them to get ya home

Ratfade

I actually did the cable swap on the side of I-95 in Wisconsin 500 miles from home. That was one of my proudest, cleverest emergency wrenching moments. :teeth:

still_on2_wheels

Thanks for all the tips. Made it home safe, just in time for the in-laws. Dang...can't use the bike ride excuse now!

Merry Christmas!

Jeff
Shiney side up please.

aquaman

Glad you made it home, always good when you can improvise yourself out of a jam.  Just out of curiosity - how many miles on the cable and how many times did you lube it.  Did you disassemble it for grip,lever, or switch housing changes or when working on your motor?  Trying to get a feel for the life expectancy.
thanks.
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock.
Will Rogers

CraigArizona85248

Jeff,

Now you have the "I need to go out in the garage and fix the broken cable" excuse.  That one works too  :teeth:

aquaman, on my bike I replace the throttle cable about every two years.  That's probably more often then needed but I run a single cable setup and I don't want any fraying inside the housing the might cause the cable to bind and throttle to stick open.  I use an OEM sportster throttle cable on my bike and it only costs about $20 to replace.  During the two years I will lube the cable about every 4 to 6 months.

-Craig

aquaman

Thanks Craig for the good info.  Instead of a single cable pan that you're running, I like to think of mine as a dual single cable setup for my twin cam ; )  It has been over two years so I will add that to my winter maintenance program this year.  Merry Christmas.
Diplomacy is the art of saying 'nice doggie' until you find a rock.
Will Rogers

Ratfade

Quote from: aquaman on December 24, 2008, 09:15:22 PM
Glad you made it home, always good when you can improvise yourself out of a jam.  Just out of curiosity - how many miles on the cable and how many times did you lube it.  Did you disassemble it for grip,lever, or switch housing changes or when working on your motor?  Trying to get a feel for the life expectancy.
thanks.
I'm not the OP, but I don't think there's a specific life expentency. Both the original and replacement cables were on and off my bike for various reasons. I always lubed both of them. The replacement has lasted longer than the original. Now I always keep a spare in my saddlebag.