New Tuner - Rev Performance Precision EMS Wide Band Unit

Started by hotroadking, December 28, 2010, 08:51:25 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

hotroadking

December 28, 2010, 08:51:25 AM Last Edit: December 28, 2010, 09:04:25 AM by hotroadking
Some good reports from a few people on other sites

Link to Product

You will get two wide band O2 sensors and 
an add-on module that allows the wide bands
to be calibrated and connected to the ECM

Your ECM must be sent to them for modifications
to allow the Rev Perf to hook up to the ECM tuner.

Click here for install Video

Looks like a simple install and they basically load
a base map, then the bike uses wide band sensors
to monitor and report.

Not much other detail yet, not sure how you can set
Idle, speedo settings, timing etc...
However here is a link to some FAQ's

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

HV

HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

Don D

I have installed it on my 117". I am the ultimate skeptic and have to say I was amazed at how well it works and how fast it learned. So far so good. This is my own bike so I don't care about dyno numbers all that much but will spool it up just for a test. All I know at this point is I like it now and the trouble spots I had are no longer there and I now don't have to worry about road tuning a 130ft/lb bike which I was not looking forward to.

TXP

Is this a Daytona Twin Tec developed product? It sure bears a resemblance to the Twin Tuner. There are only a few manufacturers who design and produce these products. The Zippers T-Max is actually a Thunderheart made product. Just wondering..

Don D

Heck no
This is a reprogrammed OEM Delphi ECU with an interface box to run wide bands.

Jeffd

That would actually be the perfect tuner for a computer dummy like me.  I just wished you could use stock 2010-11 headers without changing the bungs.

Don D

TXP

I noticed they were reprograming the ECM and was reviewing the installation pdf. on the RevPerf website and noticed they made reference to free air calibration, and the appearance of the controller resembled a DTT product. It just looked like Chris Shroeder's handywork. Even if they are unrelated it does look similar to a DTT WEGO device to me. Keep us posted as to how it performs, always interested in new products.

TXChop

Don, did you talk to brian about what afr's it tunes to or which timing tables? Was just curious.I am sure it varies by the base map they install in the ecm. I think it sounds like a great system, but leaves no door open IF there is a pinging, heat, mileage, idle, warm up, tinker, issues...

TXP

The I-Sheet indicates the use of 09 headers or welding in bungs for 2010-11 Bagger models.

Ken R

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 28, 2010, 11:32:29 AM
Heck no
This is a reprogrammed OEM Delphi ECU with an interface box to run wide bands.

I wonder how stable the sensors' free-air adjust trimpots are going to be over time in real-world heat and vibration environments.  My WEGO-II seem to be stable, but I only have 10 - 20 hours of actual run-time on 'em.  (rechecked the calibration between runs and my sensors didn't require any additional tweaking; but that was only after a few  hours of playing).

This uses their canned ignition maps?  If "Timing is Everything" (and I've seen a lot of timing maps and discussions here on the forum); wouldn't advanced users want a gateway into the ECM for timing adjustment, etc?  TTS, Direct Link, and others have a lot more capability than just tuning VEs. 

I wonder if this will evolve into a system in which the ECM can be accessed and flashed by the end user like the other tuning packages.  I think I'd want the ability to record and view the results of the self tuning, correct my speedo, play with the timing tables, etc.   

Their video library is informative. 

Ken

Jeffd

Quote from: Jeffd on December 28, 2010, 11:33:04 AM
That would actually be the perfect tuner for a computer dummy like me.  I just wished you could use stock 2010-11 headers without changing the bungs.

I inqured on thier web site and the responded that the wide band sensors needed to be located differently like on the 09 pipes.

Ken R

Quote from: Jeffd on December 28, 2010, 11:33:04 AM

Jeff, that's the main reason I replaced my headers with the Fuel Moto headers that use the stock heat shields and eliminate the catalytic converter.  They have auxillary O2 bungs already in place . . . two sets of bungs, one for the narrow-band and another set for wide band.  That gives me a lot of flexibility. 

Don D

I went into this thing skeptical and quite frankly I have no heating issues or pinging. I really have to evaluate the product as a consumer that wants a good running bike and it passes. Sure maybe in some cases a dyno tune may make a few more HP but I didn't care. I had low speed tip in issues that are gone. I just dummy up and ride and port heads.

TXChop

Don, was it the slight opening of the throttle jerking from a low speed(5mph) cruise?

Like i said, think its nice, but a door in the system with some basic adjustments seems like a nice option as well??

TXChop

I am just thinking worst case scenario btw...I am sure you could send the ecm back if needed.

Dennis The Menace

Brian answered a lot of detailed questions on another site about this product, and hope he joins in here.  He does have a HTT account (revperf).

He indicated that nothing is done to the ECM that would look any different to a HD tech at a dealer.  It will not, therefore, void the warranty of the system, like a Tmax might.  They use your stock ECM, for 2005 and up bikes.  2004 bike just needs a 2005-up ECM, which they sell cheap.

One can still use a TTS or SERT/SEPST to tune the bike, it desired.  You would just pull off teh WB O2s and go back to stock O2s, and remove teh box inline with the O2s.  You are then back to stock and can tune with whatever product you use.

This is meant to be a product for riders that just want to set it and forget it.  Its not for those who want to fiddle with settings and tweaks.  Its a closed system in that respect.  But, it is a better setup than a stock HD download, as Revperf has a huge database of dyno'ed maps to load to get you a very close tune to start with.  The input from the WB O2's and their tweaks allow them to do whatever it is they do to give a great running bike.

So, while it may seem a canned map, its going to be very close to what your setup needs.  They ask a lot of detailed questions about your motor setup to get the best map loaded from day one. 

When I first fired the bike after install, it immediately ran smoother at idle, which I was having a lot of problems with.  It only got even better as it dialed in the 5 minute calibration it needs to adapt to the bike.  After that, it was just go ride the snot out it.  It ran better than it did with the SEPST tune I had before installing, especially idle and low rpm cruise (which I never could get tuned right with the SEPST).

Caveat--I am NOT a tuning guy in any fashion, and I presume that a tuner program  (TTS, SEPST) in the hands of a competent tuner would yield better results.  But, for a closed system, IMO this will beat anything the MoCo offers as a "download".  That is the sweet spot for this product, IMO.

Hope this helps.

Dennis

hotroadking

Dennis JMO that is the "market" for tuning in the HD world

While there are several of us self induced masochist would be tuners
out there thinking we can pull off  the "ultimate" power increase
in reality a huge segment of the HD just isn't into that much work
They don't know the particulars of how to adjust timing and JMO
for the most part they want to load n go....

revperf

Gentlemen,

Thanks for the interest in our product!  The free air calibration of the interpreter box is now pre-done before any of the systems leave and the pots are sealed.  Some are still on the Drag Specialties shelves that need it but those are the last.  They can be accessed for future adjustment if necessary but have not required it to date.  The reason we load the base map in is really more customer service to completely eliminate customers having to hunt and hunt for something close.  We just pull from our database (which is extensive) and get you where you need to be and then commence with the re-calibration of the firmware (that we must do anyway) from there.  That way the initial start-up is seamless.  Honestly, the original base map is really only there until the system goes adaptive anyway.  This is done as soon as the bike gets to (depending on outside temp) half operating temperature in about 5 minutes.  Then the process is essentially real-time from that point on.  We do wish that the '10 and up bikes had the bungs for the wide bands in them from the factory.  The aftermarket has obviously helped us out but we try to help customers by providing the service here for $50.00 plus the bungs.  That way we can Tig them in and then vacuum check the pipes for leaks.  More than one system has been sent out in a box big enough for customers to ship their head pipes when they ship the ECM.  We generally knock them out in a couple days.  Whenever we are on-site at the rallies this coming year doing installs we will have the welder on site and can take care of it then also.  A question was asked about the AFR settings that we use.  The numbers are 13-13.2 at idle, 14-14.2 at low load cruise, and 12.5-12.8 for WOT.  These are the bulk of the builds but there are some larger or smaller engines that we may tweak these values just a bit but not much.  These are the values that, +/- a couple tenths of an AFR, 99% of the tuners are shooting for anyway.  We can also install an AFR value that the customer desires as long as the value is not out in left field and could potentially hurt the engine.    As far as timing tables go, we spent over a year gathering data from different builds (displacement, CR, exhaust, etc.) around the country from CO to AZ to Vegas, to Florida and then Southern CA. to build an extensive database.   We then sort the appropriate table for the engine based on an algorithmic process and let the firmware do the rest.  So it isn't really a canned timing map per se'.  The computing power to do this really exists guys.  It really does.  The toughest thing we have had to deal with going forward with this product has been skepticism until people have tried it.  Once they do it sells itself.  Listen, I have said it before, TTS, T-Max, PC are all great products in their own rites and are extremely well thought out, powerful tools.  This product was not developed for people who want to tune their own bike or take and have it professionally tuned or ride it for a relatively extensive period of time to let it adjust the tables.  This is a rider’s product for a rider’s market.  Sorry for the long post and I have tried not to “sell” too much and just answer questions.  Please feel free to call on our dime at any time 866-892-2109.  I respect the board moderators and don’t want to get in hot water!

Brian

Jeffd

hotroadking

revperf

Yes to Daytona.  As of today Destination Daytona (Rossmeyer's).

strokerjlk

QuoteA question was asked about the AFR settings that we use.  The numbers are 13-13.2 at idle, 14-14.2 at low load cruise, and 12.5-12.8 for WOT.
forgive me if it is in plain black and white,on your website. it has been a while since I read the particulars.
so my question is ....when you say 14-14.2 cruise, is this a closed loop area? or are you shooting for 14-14.2 open loop? seems like logic would tell me it is all open loop since you are most likely using Bosch LSU4 sensors to collect data.  so in a nut shell do you /consumer collect data with a LSU4 ,log it, and then you take the data and apply this to a open loop map.
another question..... it sounded as if some of the testimonies I have read were indicating that the bikes were running better,just installing the system and riding it.
I dont see how this could be possible,other than a canned map that you installed was a improvement over whatever they had in the ECU to begin with, because  the ECU goes back to you for the process of computing data and reprogramming the ECU. is this correct?
so basically I want to know is it a all open loop tune? after you reprogram the ECU ,does the LSU'S stay out and the bike is ran ,until a need arises to re tune?
or is it closed loop and the factory sensors go back in after the reprogram by you?
or... bear with me.... are you using the LSU'S to try and maintain a closed loop system?
when you say 14.0 is possible in cruise, I just dont see how that can be maintained in closed loop.
not that all open loop is a bad thing...IMO :up:
A scientific theory summarizes a hypothesis
repeated testing establishes theory

BVHOG

The question I have is can the bike still be data logged by systems such at the twinscan or a digital tech to troubleshoot should problems arise in the various sensor outputs?
If you don't have a sense of humor you probably have no sense at all.