May 08, 2024, 10:18:26 PM

News:

HILLSIDE 131 twin cam build

Started by partycrasher, December 30, 2010, 05:35:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

partycrasher

pwmorris

You might want to let everyone know where you live-so they can tread lightly cruzin' your streets...
There is a new Sheriff in town!

partycrasher

pwmorris---Except for the bass note barking from the boarzilla, i like to surprise folks with the power......as Sun Tzu said concerning the  "Nature of Surprise".....

"In conflict, direct confrontation will lead to engagement and surprise will lead to victory.

Those who are skilled in producing surprises will win.......In directing a conflict, there is only ambush or direct confrontation. Yet their combinations produce a variation of possible battle plans"

partycrasher

well the motor work is complete and soon i will ship it off to the tuner to see how it shakes out.....

mark mpdc

Quote from: partycrasher on January 10, 2011, 03:25:18 PM
well the motor work is complete and soon i will ship it off to the tuner to see how it shakes out.....

Hey Partycrasher can you take a video of that monster build and post it up so we can see it? :pop:
04' RoadKing Classic 117",54cams,60mm TB,10.7.1/210/195x195ccp,60mm TB

partycrasher

the tuner is about 4.5 hours away from me so when it returns back i will try to get a vid of it running.....unfortunately--just got 14 inches of snow here today............

Harleytwostar

How the heck do you hold on to something like that................... :scratch:
2002 Fatboy
2004 883

mark mpdc

January 12, 2011, 11:12:58 AM #32 Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 07:06:02 AM by mark mpdc
Hey Partycrasher,
let me ask you this question.Do you feel with this build that you should be able to ride cross country?I ask this because
i have gotten different opinions about big build bikes that aren't made to do that kind of riding and i wanted to get your take on it because i myself might go with a build that similiar later next year and for me a bike should be built to run across country no matter what the size of the motor if it runs on the highway.

xzo124

Quote from: Harleytwostar on January 12, 2011, 11:09:09 AM
How the heck do you hold on to something like that................... :scratch:
Two hands and a darn good set of BUTT CHEEKS  !!!...xzo

03deuce

I would certainly consider a rider back rest to keep you on the saddle and not sliding backwards!

Do these big inch motors produce more engine vibration than say a basic big bore engine?

Congrats.  Looks like a nice ride.

partycrasher

03 deuce....when joe the tuner got the bike, he called me a said he was amazed at how quiet the motor was and that he could not believe how little vibration there was. The jims motors have come a long way. And with some head mods, there is plenty more power to be had.

x52gnr

[xzo124--i had scott at hillside fashion me a seat belt to lock me in place for those hard launches... :teeth:
[/quote]

Seatbelt, heck I think you need a 3 point harness...lol :up:
2012 Heritage Softail
2008 Gl1800 (Gold Wing) Airbagger

xzo124

January 12, 2011, 04:48:47 PM #37 Last Edit: January 12, 2011, 08:30:55 PM by xzo124
Partycrasher , there will definately a learning curve that you have to go thru riding that thing it will want to boil the tire instantly with any accessive throttle givin to it . And when you get to where you can launch  and hook up You WILL be going to a chain, because it will strip the teeth right off the belt . Been there Done that...xzo

timtoolman

Hillside 117 ,  2009 ultra
HTCS (AW/SW) USN RET.

mark mpdc

Quote from: partycrasher on January 13, 2011, 05:19:48 AM
xzo-- Riding curve you say.....Indeed!! These HILLSIDE builds are asphalt shredders. Let me break it down for you. In the past 5 years, Hillside motorcycle and machine in NY has built be the fillowing builds:

HILLSIDE 96 inch twin cam stage 2head;
HILLSIDE 103 inch twin cam statge 3 head;
HILLSIDE 117 inch twin cam stage 3 head;
HILLSIDE 124 inch twin cam stage 3 head..........and now, the coup de gras, the piece de resistance, the icing on the cake..the bull in the china store......
HILLSIDE 131 twin cam custom head build-- 

EVeryone one of these builds were monsters....but the 117, 124 were off -the- chart tire shredders....and this 131.....well....we will soon find out!!!!

I have to ask most of you with these builds listed above that who ever the builders are or kits that you get for these size motors that you can't ride these bikes on long distant trips? If you can't these motors across country then let me ask how far can you ride them on a trip that is safe were they won't break down.

build it

Mark, why wouldn't these big inch builds be long distance friendly? I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from. S&S markets their 124 with a change in cams as a touring build, actually, they (S&S) say that the stock 640 is fine, but if you don't care about top end performance stick the 5er in there and be all set, no need to worry about the bump in ccp. Star racing markets their 126 as a performance orientated touring motor that is track friendly.

There are a number of other factors that make a build less touring friendly, like not knowing how to ride, or even poor assembly, or a poor tune. If those bases are covered, you should be just fine.
Get the principles down first, they'll never change.

partycrasher

January 13, 2011, 07:36:54 AM #41 Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:56:49 AM by partycrasher
marc---perhaps you need to start your own thread to get other opinions.   ANd, Maybe you need to clarify what size build you are asking about. I think you are  missing the point. ....do i think a big inch motor can do the trip--absolutely--especially if set-up for that style of riding....consider cam choice. Would i personally do it on my own bike--no. Not for fear that it will break down....but because that is not the intent of the motor as i have had it designed. However, two years ago i drove from NH to LA with my 117 Hillside build...and it was a blast...no problems....can the motors do it--yes they can.   So--build it, ride it and enjoy it.

mark mpdc

January 13, 2011, 08:01:14 AM #42 Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:04:53 AM by mark mpdc
Quote from: build it on January 13, 2011, 07:35:11 AM
Mark, why wouldn't these big inch builds be long distance friendly? I'm not sure I understand where you're coming from. S&S markets their 124 with a change in cams as a touring build, actually, they (S&S) say that the stock 640 is fine, but if you don't care about top end performance stick the 5er in there and be all set, no need to worry about the bump in ccp. Star racing markets their 126 as a performance orientated touring motor that is track friendly.

There are a number of other factors that make a build less touring friendly, like not knowing how to ride, or even poor assembly, or a poor tune. If those bases are covered, you should be just fine.

Listen i am not downing any kind of build here.All i am asking is shouldn't any of these big builds be versitile enough to were they can be bar hoppers and can ride across country if you choose to ride it there. I myself and i am just talking about me because if i get a g2 145ci next year and the builder tells me that the motor will not make it across country their is no way for me i would buy that motor and put in my bike.Now i like to ride hard just like the next guy and i also like to just cruise and later this year i am riding to california from the eastcoast so to me why can't a street-race motor do all these things that you ask of it?

BONERACIN

xzo-- Riding curve you say.....Indeed!! These HILLSIDE builds are asphalt shredders. Let me break it down for you. In the past 5 years, Hillside motorcycle and machine in NY has built be the fillowing builds:

HILLSIDE 124 inch twin cam stage 3 head..........and now, the coup de gras, the piece de resistance, the icing on the cake..the bull in the china store......

EVeryone one of these builds were monsters....but the 117, 124 were off -the- chart tire shredders....and this 131.....well....we will soon find out!!!!

This doesn't even take into consideration the heads that Scott has done  for other combos.  I know of a 106 with a set of his stage3 heads that isn't no slouch!!!!!!
Boneracin
"Uncle Sam made me cut off my mullet"

xzo124

:up: :up: It'll be a peice of work for sure , cant wait to see results .Have fun....xzo

mark mpdc

January 13, 2011, 08:42:58 AM #45 Last Edit: January 13, 2011, 08:45:43 AM by mark mpdc
I ask shouldn't any 131 no matter what the set up of the motor that if you ride it on the street that it should make it across country if you wanted to ride it there? If a builder tells you up front in no matter what size motor he is building you that this motor can't or won't make it across country or that he wouldn't trust it then why bother getting that motor put in your bike?I am not pointing the finger at any one person this is just a general question/opinion based upon motors getting bigger and bigger and running on the street.

partycrasher

mark--please go start your own thread.......Thank you

partycrasher

joe at joescyclerepair just called and said he has a good custom map started...has finished up with the idle and low speed driving phases and is slowly making his way up the powerband.............

xzo124

mark mpdc