April 27, 2024, 04:50:47 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

andrews j cam question

Started by moose, December 25, 2008, 03:24:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

moose

anyone have any comments on a andrews j cam on a stock 1950 hydra glide.

how is it compared to stock?
Moose aka Glenn-

iiggii

Thats the only cam i use ,But that is just me ,A little better then stock or flh.

ROG

I use and like the J , easy starting - nice running.

wreck74

I run the Andrews J grind cam in my 59 panhead,  :up: :up:

ModelABob

"I" use the 'A' grind in my '65 Pan and before that I used an 'A' grind in my '66 Shovel.  Worked for me, I think the 'A' gives
a little more go-faster boost then the 'J' grind.  Just my 0.02 for what its worth. :teeth:

Happy New Year & AMF/Ride Safe :wink:
To Ride, Shoot Straight & Speak the Truth.....  J. Cooper

Pzokes

January 02, 2009, 07:32:31 PM #5 Last Edit: January 03, 2009, 03:25:53 PM by Pzokes
A stock FL or FLH camshaft will run cooler when sitting in heavy traffic.  The cam timing is retarded on the rear cylinder on the stock camshaft to do this.  The "J" is a nice mild camshaft.  I wouldn't bother using the 1950 hydraulic pushrods.  They never worked that good.   
The "J" was developed about 30 years ago.  You might also look at some of the newer profiles developed by Crane.  Are your cases modified for the later inner cam bearing or is your inner cam bushing reamed out to fit the later or aftermarket cam??

I've run the "A" camshaft too.  To me, the "A" in a Pan seems to run like a "B" in a Shovel...I think that it seems to start "coming on" at a little higher RPM.

All aftermarket Pan camshafts are made for the later (+1958?) inner cam bearing size.  All aftermarket camshafts eliminate the retarded cam timing on the rear cylinder.  The Pan has a higher ratio rocker arm than a Shovel, but all the manufacturer's camshaft descriptions are of how the cam operates in a Shovel.  I think that someone should look at the next milder cam, when buying a cam for a Pan, because of the Pan's higher ratio rocker arms.
There's miles to go before I sleep.