May 02, 2024, 03:27:28 AM

News:

rubbermount trans question

Started by Old Crow, December 25, 2008, 05:28:09 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Old Crow

Howdy.  I'm re-doing an '82 FLT rubbermount 5 speed.  I've also got an evo FLT to keep it company. 
Was out in the shop looking at them the other day and got to wondering if I could find a tranny end cap from a later model bike with the clutch cable going into the bottom of the cap and put it on the shovel in place of the end cap with the lever coming out the top.
I have some issues with wear where the shaft comes thru the top of the cap and figured this might be the time to upgrade.  This would also allow me to use the EZ clutch dealy.
Anybody know if I can do this mod?   :tea:
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Mule

It might be possible to change the trap door and use the later model clutch release, I have never tried it. The stock 82 flt trap door has a different end cap and bolt pattern I believe...Mule...

panjs

Yes you can.  :up:
The release lever pivot shaft on my '81 FLT had over 1/8" of slop in that small upper bushing and the newer style looked like a much better design.
Had the trapdoor, cover and cable replaced.

Can't remember the part numbers but the door is a Sifton and the cover is a Jim's billet. The new style cover has a different bolt pattern and won't fit the old trap door.

It works very well and shouldn't wear out like the old one.
Jim 

Old Crow

OK, I was just checking out the J&P website and Jim's makes a trapdoor that'll fit my trans and will take either the early or late style end cap.
Not just the simple mod I had envisioned, guess it'll wait for next year. 
I'll just find a bushing to fit my release lever shaft and drill out the end cap to whatever external dimension I need.  Ought to work OK for this season.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.