May 08, 2024, 01:29:31 PM

News:

cylinder head shoot out

Started by sbcharlie, January 05, 2011, 06:00:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Maru

The original proposal was for a "Budget" head challenge. Most budget headwork  presumably involves insuring a concentric valve and seat along with a good valve job along with blending of the seat into the head and maybe some relief around the valve in the combustion chamber. While i find this thread very interesting it seems to me to have some qualities of a stacked deck. SBC's equipment may provide an advantage in a limited challenge of this type. Despite this potential, a careful review of his work may not have been as favorable as he claims. I have seen some flow charts comparing 45 degree seat angles with some less conventional contact angles and the results were subject to interpretation. From memory the greater angle had more flow at higher lifts but less flow at lower lifts. It would take someone more knowledgeable than I to determine if that is progress. Without seeing SBC's work it is not clear if this is the case, maybe not. Who knows if nothing comes forward. The thread is 9 pages long, clearly there was some interest here.

Unbalanced

Quote from: mayor on May 07, 2011, 01:24:58 PM
Quote from: Maru on May 07, 2011, 10:19:22 AM
Charlie why not post your results, define your price for the work, and describe what you have provided for service and see how your competitors respond.
that's probably not advisable.  We practice a very strict no first hand marketing policy here on HTT.  Charlie is free to talk about the technical aspects of what he's doing, but defining price would easliy be viewed as first hand marketing.

Mayor is there or what is the policy for all the low level trolling for business that goes on?

mayor

the only official rule that we have in the site's code of conduct regarding that is no first hand advertising.  Generally it has to be a blatant attempt to promote a business/service before a post or thread gets pulled, and whether a post or thread that's not so blatant gets pulled for violating our site rules of conduct is generally a judgement call from the admins and many time the admins will consult on whether a particular post or thread crosses the marketing line.  One of the things that will generally get a post pulled is if the benefiting party posts pricing for their products or services.  This will sometimes get overlooked if a member directly asks beforehand, but the site prefers that any pricing be discussed through PM or through other off site methods.

Preventing or eliminating soft marketing (trolling) is tough, since we want to encourage the professional members of our site to participate and share their experiences but we do not want that to come in the way of spam towards our members.  If you look at this particular thread, this whole thread just screams soft marketing and it hasn't been wacked yet.  :nix:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions