May 09, 2024, 08:12:08 AM

News:

Harley warranty info/prices?

Started by Nebraskarider1, January 07, 2011, 09:05:24 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Nebraskarider1

Anybody know if there is a link on Harleys website that I am missing that tells what the prices are for the extended warranty coverage? I have an 09 that the factory warranty expires on in March and was thinking about purchasing the extra 3 years. I just wanted to see what the options and prices were before I went in to the dealer so I was "armed" with info if ya know what I mean.

stillhere

the harley extra will kill you because you did not get it when you got the bike,and i think you have to get it before th eold one becomes no good,allso there is a time thing that you have to buy it with so many monthes left on the factory, because of the cost of the harley one for my fxstc. i went with xtra ride ( power sports ) it is sold at the harley dealers and damn near every dealer will fix your bike under this policey,it covers all the same things, it has a 50 dollar deductabel, there are low mid and full coverage you can get depending on what you want, mine covers vevery thing xcept tires and wheels. but you can get tire and wheels,its worth looking in to if you find harley to cost to much,

heres a few of the things covered
tranny / motor / seals and bearings / calipers / hell it covers most every thing. i would have to dig out th ebook to tell you all of it. a good part is it covers break downs away from home ( 100 miles ) it will pick up some of your hotels / rental bike  / ect,  for me it was about saveing money, it sdont say harley on it but it works just as good,

stillhere

forgot to add
i picked up a 5 year policy. dealer cost for that is 1200 so im sure they will mark it up on ya,
i cant tell you what i payed because mine was a back door freind to a friend thing from the mgr at the harley dealer. but even he said why pay for the name harley on the paper

stillhere

harley54

Nebraskarider1

Quote from: stillhere on January 07, 2011, 09:38:43 AM
the harley extra will kill you because you did not get it when you got the bike,and i think you have to get it before th eold one becomes no good,allso there is a time thing that you have to buy it with so many monthes left on the factory, because of the cost of the harley one for my fxstc. i went with xtra ride ( power sports ) it is sold at the harley dealers and damn near every dealer will fix your bike under this policey,it covers all the same things, it has a 50 dollar deductabel, there are low mid and full coverage you can get depending on what you want, mine covers vevery thing xcept tires and wheels. but you can get tire and wheels,its worth looking in to if you find harley to cost to much,

heres a few of the things covered
tranny / motor / seals and bearings / calipers / hell it covers most every thing. i would have to dig out th ebook to tell you all of it. a good part is it covers break downs away from home ( 100 miles ) it will pick up some of your hotels / rental bike  / ect,  for me it was about saveing money, it sdont say harley on it but it works just as good,

The dealer checked (called the MOCO) and I could extend the factory warranty for 3 more years as long as I did it before the original 2 years was expired but he didn't know the price and the guy that handled them wasn't there when he did the checking. I just wanted to see if there was a set price or if it was something that varies at different dealers before I committed. He thought it was around 1400 for it but wasn't sure. Same $50 deductible as the original 2 years and no coverage on tires, brakes or clutch, since they are all wear items. I know I will keep the bike 3 more years and even if I didn't it might be a selling point. I ride 7-10k per year.

stillhere

mine can be sold with the bike aswell / the tire and wheel is a good thing to have. if you hit a curb or what ever it will replace your rim and tire,

Jeffd

If you have not had any problems todate you probably won't.  Put the money in a pickle jar and save it for any little problem that comes up.  I put 80,000 miles on my 04 and never had a claim to speak of. 

Justpassingas

Quote from: Jeffd on January 08, 2011, 06:11:58 AM
If you have not had any problems todate you probably won't.  Put the money in a pickle jar and save it for any little problem that comes up.  I put 80,000 miles on my 04 and never had a claim to speak of.

If it were me ....what Jeff said....I'd save my money
For Duty and Humanity

e-glide90

Just checked  on same two days ago.  Prices were  1yr- 799,  2yr-999,  3yr-1299,  4yr-1499,  5yr-1699. Was also told if purchased before end of Jan. they would knock off  100 off each price.  This was on 09 FLHX.      Think I will pass on it.         

ultra 08

I ask my dealer about this when I got my 08 ultra he said I would be money ahead just to pay for the repairs then buy the extended warranty. The new iron is alot more reliable the the older ones. But you will always find a dealer that is willing to take your money. I have known  my dealer for 30 years and I trust him. I don,t know many dealers that when I call to get my bike serviced they have something there for me to ride while they are doing the work on mine.It doesn,t  matter if they have it for an oil change or if they had it to put cams in they send me home with a bike to ride.
2008 105th Anniversary Edition Ultra Classic

Nebraskarider1

Thanks for the replies, I think I am gonna just save the money the only stuff I was really concerned about was electronic stuff and I think they got the bugs worked out of the HK stereos and I haven't seem a lot of issues with the TBW either. I might just put the money towards some 204 cams and tuning.  :bike:

brokenwing

I just traded my '09' FLHX with 20,000mi. for a new 2011. I trade every two yrs. when the warranty is up. It usually costs about $4,000.00 difference for a new bike. I never worry about clutch cables, brakes, headlights, taillights, tune-ups, extended warranty, etc. Plus I get all the model change updates every two years. Not bad for $2,000.00 a year. Been doing this since 2002.

HroadhogD1

I just traded today, and I was quoted the same prices as e-glide.  Dealer told me I could buy it now, at the end of the two year, anytime in between, or decline it all together.  I decided to wait for now anyway.  I have been told you can talk them down on the warranty prices.   :nix:

whitebagger1

In 06 bought 7 yr with my Ultra. Already paid for itself. Cost was high but got it anyway. If you can afford it it is worth it.
Seat Doctor

Snorth

I'm with Whitebagger.  I got the 7 year Harley extended warranty on my 06 Ultra Classic.  Cost me $1800.  So far I've had over $6000 in repairs covered by the extended warranty and have over 111,000 miles on the bike.  I still have about 2.5 years to go on the extended warranty and I'm sure I'm going to double the $6000 in covered repairs I already have received.

I liked it so well that I'm going to get it again when I buy a new bike when my extended warranty runs out.

Flat Dog

Some dealers offer an extended warranty by another company too, which covers high performance parts/modded bikes. It's the same price as the HD warranty MOL.

2glides

I'm with Whitebagger and Snorth, I bought the 7 years and got ALL my money back and still have two+ years left. They just put a brand new crate motor with my original #s stamped in it in my 07 ultra @ 60k miles. If your going to keep the bike and put a lot of miles on, then I would buy the warranty.
2Glides

IndyHarley

It's just like most insurance - darn if you don't have it and darn if you do have it. I know of as many people that got warranty repair worth more than the warranty price as there are here saying don't get it. I'd rather have it and not use it than not have it and need to spend $4000 for a new engine or over 6 years get nickeled and dimed to death. We all know that not all HDs are made equally nor are they ridden equally nor are they maintained equally. I had an 01 Ultra that over time the warranty price was far less than what I would have paid for the work done on it that was covered by the warranty.
Member since 1865
Founder of IN PGR - Legion Post #186 Commander