May 08, 2024, 10:56:58 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Who makes a good quality dial indicator?

Started by Jim Bronson, January 08, 2011, 02:26:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jim Bronson

I'm looking for an indicator to check runout, bearing endplay, etc. Which ones do you all recommend? Thanks.
Going down that long, lonesome highway. Gonna live life my way.

prodrag1320

Sc00ter

Skullfork

My vote is Starret, it's all we use in our shop. Nothing wrong with Mitutoyo either, but they're made in Japan, Starret in the USA ...easy choice for us.

chopper

Either are top shelf stuff!  Can't go wrong with either of them.  I'm still using the Mitutoyo mics I bought back in 1971.
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

mor pwr

Jim Bronson

Wow, there's a name from the past. In my previous life as an engineer, we used Mitutoyo microscopes to examine integrated circuits. I'll check out Starret too.

Thanks.

prodrag1320

Quote from: mor pwr on January 08, 2011, 03:30:50 PM
BUY AMERICAN
buy a new HD,get rid of everything that aint made in america,and youde have a motor,frame & trans

Jeffd

Quote from: prodrag1320 on January 08, 2011, 03:50:06 PM
BUY AMERICAN
buy a new HD,get rid of everything that aint made in america,and youde have a motor,frame & trans

and tires LOL.  course the crank would still have runout lol.

prodrag1320

dunlops are made in japan,pretty sad if ya ask me!

Dan89flstc

January 08, 2011, 04:23:42 PM #10 Last Edit: January 08, 2011, 05:17:23 PM by Dan89flstc
Quote from: prodrag1320 on January 08, 2011, 04:07:55 PM

Dunlops are made all over the world. They are the only company that manufactures motorcycle tires in the United States.
http://www.usstuff.com/mototire.htm

We use Starrett indicators, micrometers, depth mics, calipers etc. at work (jet engine experimental shop).
US Navy Veteran
A&P Mechanic

Uncle Salty

chopper

BUY AMERICAN

unless its a Vrod...   engines are cast and machined overseas

mark61

Buy American is right!

Having said that, even the cheapos from Harbor Freight do what they are supposed to well enough most people will not regrett buying them.

mark61

Bigs

I agree with mark61 that Harbor Freight dial indicator is plenty accurate to check runout and end play and also their magnetic base is very good. I have a Starrett and a German dial indicator and if you are going to use them all the time I would recommend the higher quality indicators and naturally they are more expensive. For occasional use the Harbor is fine. I bought the better of the 2 dial indicators that Harbor Freight has as well as the magnetic base. I think it cost me $25 for both.
   Bigs

WVULTRA

Quote from: Jim Bronson on January 08, 2011, 02:26:57 PM
I'm looking for an indicator to check runout, bearing endplay, etc. Which ones do you all recommend? Thanks.

Jim:

I bought a Starrett 25-131J several years ago on ebay, and IMO it's one of the finest indicators available for runout, etc.

http://cgi.ebay.com/Starrett-25-131J-Dial-Indicator-125-Range-New-/230569090358

Not cheap as the offshore ones, but if your looking for a top end tool this is a great one!

:up:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

mor pwr

You can make fun of what I said all you want. But bottom line it all gets down to how you spend your dollars $$$$$$$$$$. I like to see americans WORKING.

Big Dan

The last time I checked the domestic content of a Harley-Davidson motorcycle, as it rolls off the line, was well over 80% and I believe it approached 90%. Parts & Aceessories, as well as Motorclothes, are a whole different story but the bikes themselves are highly American when they come off the line.

Please stop spreading nonsense.  Just because you read something on the internet 3 times, that does not make it true.
Never follow the Hippo into the water.

chopper

Please stop spreading nonsense.

Indeed!  Please post your source of that "approaching 90% " domestic content statement then.   Otherwise...  its in the category of  "something you read on the internet"

HroadhogD1

I would first figure out how much you will be using the indicator.  I realize you want an accurate reading, but it doesn't make much sense to pay high dollar for something you will only use once or twice.  If you are going to use it allot then buy the good one.   JMHO

WVULTRA

Quote from: HroadhogD1 on January 09, 2011, 05:27:15 AM
      I would first figure out how much you will be using the indicator.  I realize you want an accurate reading, but it doesn't make much sense to pay high dollar for something you will only use once or twice.  If you are going to use it allot then buy the good one.   JMHO

:agree:

Big Dan

Quote from: chopper on January 09, 2011, 05:17:35 AM
Please stop spreading nonsense.

Indeed!  Please post your source of that "approaching 90% " domestic content statement then.   Otherwise...  its in the category of  "something you read on the internet"
I got it from a friend that was rather high up in the MoCo, but is now retired. The number is very liquid, changing constantly to meet demand and quality criteria, but it has always been well above 80%.

Here's a supposedly legitimate source that claimed 95% for 2002. I'm somewhat skeptical, but the "liquid number" may actually have spiked that high at that given time.

http://www.howtobuyamerican.com/bamw/bamw-020503-harley.shtml

Jeffd

Quote from: prodrag1320 on January 08, 2011, 04:07:55 PM

every set of stock 402 dunlops I bought (a bunch in 80,000 miles) and the new 407 and 408's say made in the USA on them.

chopper

I got it from a friend that was rather high up in the MoCo, but is now retired.

So...  what you're saying is that you really have ZERO documentation for that 90% "statement" then..  Other than some guy told me.   That sure seems to come under the "stop spreading nonsense" heading then.

As far as 02's?  I HAVE one.  Lessee, Jap forks, Mexican electrics, Aussie wheels (unless they're Jap also)  Lots of the electronic stuff is from Taiwan or Mexico.

Big Dan

Quote from: chopper on January 09, 2011, 09:38:46 AM
I got it from a friend that was rather high up in the MoCo, but is now retired.

So...  what you're saying is that you really have ZERO documentation for that 90% "statement" then..  Other than some guy told me.   That sure seems to come under the "stop spreading nonsense" heading then.

As far as 02's?  I HAVE one.  Lessee, Jap forks, Mexican electrics, Aussie wheels (unless they're Jap also)  Lots of the electronic stuff is from Taiwan or Mexico.

A trusted friend of many years is not "some guy told me." I even provided you a link where a published writer claimed 95 percent. What have you documented other than the fact that you're clearly looking for an argument? Nothing.

Well, you did name a handfull of parts that come from overseas... out of the many thousands of parts it takes to construct the motorcycle. I'd estimate you've now "documented" one tenth of one percent as being imported. Good luck finding the rest.

JimB

Having worked as a Quality Engineer for 20+ yrs & was a certified metrologist once ....I say buy a measuring device based on its use.
If you need something to keep in your tool box like a dial caliper, Craftsman or Harbor Freight will work fine, just zero the dial before each use.
If you use these devices for a living then Brown & Sharpe, Starrett or Mitutoyo is a preferred choice for accuracy.
But, regular calibration is required to maintain accuracy & most people do not have the skills or tools to do this so the device must be sent out.

Anyways.... Just my opinion

Bladesmith

BUY AMERICAN

We all want the jobs to return and for America to be the greatest manufacturing nation in the world as it once was.........but unfortunately that ship has sailed....

I have a Dodge pick-up assembled in Mexico and a BMW assembled in South Carolina......I can no longer figure out who's supporting the American worker !

I would love to buy an American TV...but there ain't any ....I spent my working years in precision metal fabricating and except for limited market products such as Jackpot/Fuelmoto that industry no longer exists in the USA.....I don't know what our grandchildren will be doing...we seem to becoming a nation of paper pushers..
If my thought dreams could be seen they'd  put my head in a guillotine.. Dylan

Jim Bronson

Quote from: FastAire on January 09, 2011, 10:06:45 AM
Having worked as a Quality Engineer for 20+ yrs & was a certified metrologist once ....I say buy a measuring device based on its use.
If you need something to keep in your tool box like a dial caliper, Craftsman or Harbor Freight will work fine, just zero the dial before each use.
If you use these devices for a living then Brown & Sharpe, Starrett or Mitutoyo is a preferred choice for accuracy.
But, regular calibration is required to maintain accuracy & most people do not have the skills or tools to do this so the device must be sent out.

Anyways.... Just my opinion
Good points. I have a gift card for Sears, so that may be a good use for it.

HroadhogD1

Jim, I think you have made a good decision.      :teeth:

mark61

Any one here remeber what  the flywheel run out jig for pre-TC had for indicators? I saw most have a mechanical indicator.....

mark61

brunothedog

Quote from: chopper on January 08, 2011, 05:50:08 PM
BUY AMERICAN

unless its a Vrod...   engines are cast and machined overseas
And thats what makes them bullet proof

Upswept

BUY AMERICAN

In my opinion, it's still better to buy it from an American based corporation.  The money stays here and helps the American economy and not an Asian economy.

hrdtail78

Jim,

If sears doesn't have what you are looking for I recommend Enco.  If you watch the sale fliers you can buy a name brand indicator reasonable.  If getting down to the nats azz is real important might want to look at buying a .030 dial test indicator also.  The graduations are .0005.
Semper Fi

Skullfork

Quote from: Upswept on January 10, 2011, 07:45:04 AM
BUY AMERICAN

In my opinion, it's still better to buy it from an American based corporation.  The money stays here and helps the American economy and not an Asian economy.

You know, no matter how hard you try, in today's world you're not always going to have the option to buy American ...but when I do have that option, I'll buy American everytime!

Hillside Motorcycle

If looking for the one of the best test indicators available, then Federal, is one that is used in many gauging, and inspection areas, in shops across the US.
Interapid is another name (Swiss made) that stands alone, and one they offer, is a very handy indicator for using in a vertical mill, for a variety of work, as is also a Starrett Last Word.
These tools I have mentioned are creme-da-la-creme,(we have these here) and do come with a cost.
Scott
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

speed limit

Interapid is the standard of the industry. but for checking runout All you need is one that will repeat any cheapo will do that federal, yuasa, enco. a good rigid holding setup is critical
If it don`t scare you, It ain`t fast enough.

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

WVULTRA

A good thread:

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,16405.msg165360.html#msg165360

The Feuling rig has become my preferred tool for checking RO, and I can use the supplied indicator or the Starrett.

hrdtail78

Quote from: WVULTRA on January 12, 2011, 06:53:48 AM
A good thread:

http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,16405.msg165360.html#msg165360

The Feuling rig has become my preferred tool for checking RO, and I can use the supplied indicator or the Starrett.

Thanks for posting that link.  Looks pretty easy to make.
Semper Fi

Ultrashovel

As far as dial indicators, if you have zero runout, even a cheap one will stay where it's put.

For good ones, a Mitutoyo is good, so is Starrett. I have a vintage Federal that reads to .0005 that I can use, also. I'm almost afraid to look at my crank. LOL. I will check it if I ever change the chain adjusters but it will be a while.

Be aware that there a dial indicators and also dial test indicators. The dial indicators have a straight shaft with longer movement, sometimes an inch or so and the dial test indicators usually have an offset shaft with less movement. They tend to be more sensitive when set up properly.