May 08, 2024, 11:10:25 PM

News:

Which drive belt OE or aftermarket

Started by kwikt, January 09, 2011, 06:00:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

kwikt

Well I found that the teeth on my 01 Fatboy drive belt are all split so while I had the bike apart for starter replacement, I am going to replace the drive belt while I'm in there. So, should I go with OE (how much do they run have'nt checked yet) or..... J&P sells Gates and a few other brands around $180 and they are local also. What do you guys think?

Jeffd

hard to beat OEM on belts and batteries.

kwikt

Anyone price an OE belt lately. I think I can get 10% off from my local dealer.

HV

HV HTT Admin ..Ride Safe ...But Ride informed with HTT !!
Skype HV.HTT

johneb48

Call Jenny at Tri County HD --20% off on parts plus shipping--great to deal with.

xzo124

xzo124

Quote from: johneb48 on January 09, 2011, 06:46:40 AM
Call Jenny at Tri County HD --20% off on parts plus shipping--great to deal with.
:agree: :up:...xzo

Glide-Rider

For a replacement Final Drive Belt for 97-03 touring bikes Price: $239.00  This was found on Harley's web page.  Gates is a great belt.  I found a Dayco Panther Belt on Ebay: $195.00 this belt is for 93-03 touring bikes and FREE shipping.  I know nothing about Dayco Panther Belts nor do I know anyone personally using their brand.  I would go with either a Gates Belt or the Harley OEM replacement belt.
Pete
Warner Springs Ca.

slik rik

not to bash the panther belts but a buddy of mine trashed one in under 5000 miles.....adjusted right..replaced with oem 8000 mi. so far....bought the panther on egay. no warranties.  he saved 50 bucks with the panther :hyst:.......Go with the oem my .02
Lots of toys, but no time

hbkeith

been there done that, ive been threw alot of belts ,HD makes the best

kwikt

I just got a great price with shipping from Jenny at Tri County HD. Hopefully I'll get it by Thursday.

retyddone

The last that I knew Gates makes the HD belts.
Have had one on my 2000 RG for 30,000mi.

Martin
Tuna
When you turn on your bike
Does it return the favor

RevFastEddy

Gates poly chain... 40% cheeper and besides Gates makes HD belts................
SAEPE EXPERTUS, SEMPER FIDELIS, FRATRES AETERNI
Vietnam 67-68, Red Beach

HD/Wrench

The new good year belt is a winner. Price wise they are making them for drag. we have put them on 124's that have 10k+ on them without issue.

partycrasher

the oem belt has worked just fine on my 131 jims motor.

kwikt

Oe it is along with a new tssm from Jenni. Thanks for the tip johneb48.

dave629

You might ask about the belt for sidecar equipped bikes. If I remember correctly, they are sturdier than the std. piece. Double check me on this.

DYankee

Quote from: kwikt on January 09, 2011, 06:00:19 AM
Well I found that the teeth on my 01 Fatboy drive belt are all split so while I had the bike apart for starter replacement, I am going to replace the drive belt while I'm in there. So, should I go with OE (how much do they run have'nt checked yet) or..... J&P sells Gates and a few other brands around $180 and they are local also. What do you guys think?

How many miles did you get on the OEM belt?
Double Dark 13 Ultra Limited
11 Wide Glide

kwikt

33,000 miles with a hell of a lot of clutch dumping and gear shifting burnouts. I guess I am paying the price. But it's fun.

Eglider05

Quote from: kwikt on January 11, 2011, 03:33:48 PM
33,000 miles with a hell of a lot of clutch dumping and gear shifting burnouts. I guess I am paying the price. But it's fun.

Yep, it sure is fun but sooner or later we pay for it  :teeth:. My guess is you're not too far from a tranny rebuild like I just got done with. It's not too pricey if you do it yourself just a PIA, but it was worth all the fun.

Rick

kwikt

Yep....3rd gear is getting a little finicky so I'll add that to the bucket list sometime in the very near future. It can't be that difficult :potstir:

trex

Quote from: GMR-PERFORMANCE on January 10, 2011, 11:48:41 AM
The new good year belt is a winner. Price wise they are making them for drag. we have put them on 124's that have 10k+ on them without issue.
I tried to find information on a Goodyear belt and didn't find any.

hbkeith

Quote from: RevFastEddy on January 10, 2011, 11:23:34 AM
Gates poly chain... 40% cheeper and besides Gates makes HD belts................
Gates makes HD belts to HD specs,they cant use those specs on belts sold as GATES