April 27, 2024, 09:00:49 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Relocating the ignition switch on the Dyna low rider

Started by camel, December 25, 2008, 04:28:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

camel

My '02 Dyna Low Rider's ignition is located on the right rear area, and I would like to relocate it more forward so I don't have to turn around to insert the key. Has anyone ever relocated their Dyna ignition switch more forward? and if so where?  thanks

chopper

Kuryakin once listed a kit in their catalogs that moved it to the handlebare clamp.  It was REAL nice..
Sadly, it never actually was produced...

I keep wanting to move mine, but never seem to get around to it...
Got a case of dynamite, I could hold out here all night

Kansas

I recently sold my`94 Low Rider. I marveled every time I put the key in it that there could be somebody so stupid as to place the ignition where they did. Maybe the bean counters decided they could use shorter wires and save $12.00 over the length of production despite pi$$ing off all future owners of the machine on a daily basis. Trying to insert the key while sitting on the bike was impossible, and it was a pain in the butt bending over and dealing with it.  If there was a Turnip Head Award for Bad Design the placement of that ignition key would be a worthy candidate.

fuzznut5197

They make keyless ignition kits that are pretty slick, but not cheap.
I too am tired of bending down to find the frickin' ignition, and was thinking
about making a round housing for the switch, and bolting it between the seat
and tank via the rear tank bolt.

camel

fuzznut, great idea on the location...jeffscycle said that's where he mounted his ignition switch except on the left side near the module driling a hole on the seat plate, and he used the stock wiring....thanks camel

fuzznut5197

Yeah the only thing to worry about is making the wires inaccessible so nobody can come along and snip and join the wires and run off with the bike.  :smileo:

mokeypoole

I am thinking of wiring a toggle switch into mine.  I am going to put it on the acessory output and run it to the ignition also.  Then I can put the key in and turn it to acessory, remove the key,  flip the toggle and be ready to go.  At gas stations and such I can just use the toggle switch.  Then when I am away from the bike, I can turn it back to off with the key and it should be safe as factory type

mokeypoole

any one see any electrical problem with wiring the toggle switch in as described above????

Velocity1

monkeypoole, That's how my FXST is wired now.  Just an extra security measure.  Trick is to get creative with the location of the switch so it takes the average thief a little longer to find it.
'02 FX"Custom"ST
Go Big, or Go Home...