May 09, 2024, 12:09:39 AM

News:

Picking base cal for TTS.

Started by hrdtail78, January 11, 2011, 12:56:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

hrdtail78

Steve,

Now you show up.  I started a 08 RK with 48's this afternoon.  Finish tomorrow.  I used PS176-002, lowered the ci and used the CAA176-002 timing tables.  I'll try the CVO cal.  BTW Stock A/C.
Semper Fi

hrdtail78

Quote from: mayor on February 08, 2011, 06:10:20 PM
Bob, I don't think Ron was suggesting a problem being created by the TTS...just the issue with a shop not being able to view the new file format without the dongle or the lack of being able to reflash back to the stock flash if need be.

Restore ECM calibration.  Take to dealer.  Reload your finely tweeked cal.  If that is the only thing to bitch about the new MT8 files.  We "tuners" :hyst: have it good.
Semper Fi

mayor

Quote from: hrdtail78 on February 08, 2011, 06:37:04 PM
I started a 08 RK with 48's this afternoon.  Finish tomorrow.  I used PS176-002, lowered the ci and used the CAA176-002 timing tables.  I'll try the CVO cal.  BTW Stock A/C.
am I looking at the cals wrong...it looks like the ones you listed not intended for DBW...but isn't the '08 RK DBW?   :nix:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

hrdtail78

Semper Fi

mayor

you posted '08 though  :wink:  I thought you were doing one of the "tuner" tricks... ala freeze plug and 2' section of 4" pipe.  :teeth: 

HD/Wrench

Sorry Jason, If you had called I would have freely given you that info  :teeth:

Hogflash

Quote from: rbabos on February 08, 2011, 05:56:22 PM
Quote from: FLTRI on February 08, 2011, 05:50:25 PM
Quote from: rbabos on February 08, 2011, 05:45:20 PM
Mayor: Why not wait for the mt8 files unless you're waiting for the warranty to end?
Ron
How could the TTS in itself cause a warranty to be an issue?  :nix:
Only way I know is if the calibration caused the failure due to improper tune, which is applicable to any tuning device.  :scratch:
Bob
Well, for one thing if it goes into the shop with the mt8 the dealer can't read the ecm should it be needed. Other than that, nothing.
Ron

The dealer can run diagnoses and read the ECM just fine with the MT8 files.  They just cannot FLASH the ECM.  If this is an issue, return the ECM to stock using the MTE file you originally uploaded (you DID save the original cal, right?). All the dealer tools will then work normally.

--Gary

rbabos

Quote from: Rufus on February 09, 2011, 08:08:33 AM
Quote from: rbabos on February 08, 2011, 05:56:22 PM
Quote from: FLTRI on February 08, 2011, 05:50:25 PM
Quote from: rbabos on February 08, 2011, 05:45:20 PM
Mayor: Why not wait for the mt8 files unless you're waiting for the warranty to end?
Ron
How could the TTS in itself cause a warranty to be an issue?  :nix:
Only way I know is if the calibration caused the failure due to improper tune, which is applicable to any tuning device.  :scratch:
Bob
Well, for one thing if it goes into the shop with the mt8 the dealer can't read the ecm should it be needed. Other than that, nothing.
Ron

The dealer can run diagnoses and read the ECM just fine with the MT8 files.  They just cannot FLASH the ECM.  If this is an issue, return the ECM to stock using the MTE file you originally uploaded (you DID save the original cal, right?). All the dealer tools will then work normally.

--Gary
Gary: Good to know they can read it for diagnostics should something go for a chit on a road trip and no way to reflash it.
Ron

Steve Cole

Well we had 2 choices with the new code that we have developed, let the factory tools try and reprogram it which would render the bike to a no run condition or stop them from reprogramming it..................... which would you choose?
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Steve Cole on February 10, 2011, 09:04:24 AM
Well we had 2 choices with the new code that we have developed, let the factory tools try and reprogram it which would render the bike to a no run condition or stop them from reprogramming it..................... which would you choose?

Will you confirm that they will be able to read it for diagnostics ?

Good to see you posting info on this and thanks for the additional  improvements to you tuning tool.
"Never hang on to a mistake just because you spent time or money making it."

hrdtail78

What codes can they pull or diagnostics can they do that the TTS can't pull?  Save the stock calibration.  :rtfb:
The program also reminds you of that before you load anything into the ECM.

This has what to do with selecting base cals?  The chicken little's have already come up with something to worry about, and discredit before the update is even released.  Priceless. :wtf:
Semper Fi

1FSTRK

Quote from: hrdtail78 on February 10, 2011, 10:03:58 AM
What codes can they pull or diagnostics can they do that the TTS can't pull?  Save the stock calibration.  :rtfb:
The program also reminds you of that before you load anything into the ECM.

This has what to do with selecting base cals?  The chicken little's have already come up with something to worry about, and discredit before the update is even released.  Priceless. :wtf:

Not sure if this was a reply to my post to Steve or what?????

Steve Cole

The diagnostics will work the same for them as it has in the past. This is no big deal but some want to make it that way. Follow the instructions and do what you were supposed to have done all the way along and you will not have any issues.
The Best you know, is the Best you've had........ not necessarily the Best.

1FSTRK

Quote from: Steve Cole on February 10, 2011, 10:35:56 AM
The diagnostics will work the same for them as it has in the past. This is no big deal but some want to make it that way. Follow the instructions and do what you were supposed to have done all the way along and you will not have any issues.

Thanks for the reply. When it comes to your product it is better to hear it straight from you, less chance of a problem of miss understanding someone that thinks they know and are speaking on your behalf. I talked with my dyno shop and will be updating and tuning with the MT8 as soon as they are released.
Thanks again

wurk_truk

February 11, 2011, 07:45:07 PM #139 Last Edit: February 11, 2011, 07:49:49 PM by wurk_truk
Hey Mayor.  I think this  bit of pot stir over the MT8s is a non starter.  The dealer can still read the codes.  AND... they can NOT change your cal.  That sounds like a good deal to me and an 'upgrade' over the tuning device you REALLY know quite well.  It's another step UP away from a TMax IMHO.  You were NOT afraid to ride the TMax from Heck and back.... the newer MT8s at least lets a dealer into diagnostics.

PLUS.....  everyone is forgetting that MT7s won't disappear.  Worried about a trip far away from home?  One could load an MT7 file and go to dealer's all day long.  I feel that quite a few folks will stick with MT7s and be happy, you know?  MT7s for the worry warts and MT8s for those that don't.

I lost my base cal when the laptop froze a couple years ago.  I'm think of getting a flash at the dealer... pull into the parking lot and flash my present tune back into the bike... and THIS time put the base cal on a thumb drive.  THEN... start with the MT8 as soon as available.
Oh No!

mayor

Quote from: wurk_truk on February 11, 2011, 07:45:07 PM
I feel that quite a few folks will stick with MT7s and be happy, you know?  MT7s for the worry warts and MT8s for those that don't.
yea, I think right now I'm a on the worry wart side of the scale.   :teeth:  My issue is there's a whole lot that I don't know about the TTS system, so I'm not real comfortable adding one more variable to the equation.   :embarrassed:  I'll probably stick with MT7 format until I know for sure that that one won't work with my set up.  The only issue I have with the MT7 is the base cal's are somewhat limited for '08-'09 DBW's.  Luckely for me, I'm not smart enough to know the limitations that this might cause...so in reality it's a non issue.  As I posted before, I'll let you smarter folks figure it out first...then I might jump in...but not if I feel that the MT7 is getting it done for me at the time.   :nix:

I think I misunderstood what you posted earlier about the MT8's not being able to be read by the dealers.  As you pointed out, that's not really that big of an issue for me since I've run the last couple of years like that.  Although, that was one of the reasons I'm running TTS on my new bike rather than T-max.  I like the T-max, but it does leave you with some vulnerability issues if there's a problem that needs diagnosed with someone smarter than the end user.  I experienced this myself last year when I fried two auto-tune modules (due to a broken ground wire connector which wasn't apparent at first).  Truth be told, I carry a lap top and cables when ever I tour on my T-max bike so adding a dongle isn't really too much more anyway.   :nix: 

whittlebeast

February 12, 2011, 05:53:48 AM #141 Last Edit: February 12, 2011, 08:03:25 AM by whittlebeast
Post Moved
Dynos are great for getting the motor close enough to get on the data loggers.

Texasvet

Hopefully I can get some assistance from this forum.  I am trying to pick a starting map for my 08 UC with 96 and 255 cams.  I also have stage 1 breather and Rinehart 2:1 exhaust. 

Thanks for any assistance.

Hilly13

Wow! That is some thread, thanks to all the contributer's, one tough classroom but lessons galore.
Cheers
Hilly
Just because its said don't make it so

hrdtail78

Quote from: Texasvet on March 15, 2011, 06:19:12 AM
Hopefully I can get some assistance from this forum.  I am trying to pick a starting map for my 08 UC with 96 and 255 cams.  I also have stage 1 breather and Rinehart 2:1 exhaust. 

What have you narrowed you choices down to?  There are a couple in the Cal listing that would suit the 255's.
Semper Fi

Texasvet

Quote from: hrdtail78 on March 15, 2011, 08:24:08 AM
Quote from: Texasvet on March 15, 2011, 06:19:12 AM

What have you narrowed you choices down to?  There are a couple in the Cal listing that would suit the 255's.

I tried UH205-002 and inputted my engine size of 96 and not 103 but during the test runs the bike backfired a lot and didn't really run worth a hoot.  I have utilized TD205-002 and it seems to run okay but unsure if the timing is correct for the 255 cam.  There has been suggestions for the UJ205-002, which is the CVO 110 and inputting the 96 engine but have not tried that download.  Figured I'd ask the forum to see what others, if they have my configuration, have tried and if successful.

mayor

Quote from: Texasvet on March 15, 2011, 10:06:55 AM
I tried UH205-002 and inputted my engine size of 96 and not 103 but during the test runs the bike backfired a lot and didn't really run worth a hoot.  I have utilized TD205-002 and it seems to run okay but unsure if the timing is correct for the 255 cam. 

There has been suggestions for the UJ205-002, which is the CVO 110 and inputting the 96 engine but have not tried that download.  Figured I'd ask the forum to see what others, if they have my configuration, have tried and if successful.
The TD205-002 cal has a good bight of timing in the early cruise rpm's, but the timing should be ok once you get the fuel dialed in.  Just do a few v-tunes, then run the Datamaster to see if it pulls any timing out anywhere.  I don't think the adaptive spark retard is usually set for the first column (40 kPa), so you will want to make sure that is set to pull timing out of that area while you are datalogging:

The timing on the UH205-002 cal looks like it's designed for the higher compression of the 103" w/ 255's.  It doesn't have much advance in the early rpm's, so that might be why that cal gave you some trouble.  I would think that cal would have felt very lazy based on the timing. 

I'm running UJ205-002 with my 96" Andy 48's. I changed the engine displacment to 97.9 at the direction of Herko and hrdtail.  I've been posting comments on my tuning progress on another thread, might be some usable info for you in here:  http://harleytechtalk.com/htt/index.php/topic,35308.0.html
I've been able to advance my timing in the cruise areas, but I haven't tried as much as what the TD205-002 cal has yet. My next datamaster run will have close to that timing, but I'm not sure when I'll be doing that.  It's still winter here, so I probably won't know for sure how much timing I can run for another couple of months when the temps warm up. 

hth,
mayor