May 09, 2024, 02:04:08 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

05' electra glide cannot remove oil filter,strap wrench didn't work.crushing it

Started by badbags, January 12, 2011, 08:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hunty

Think we've all been there with a tight filter from time to time....the old flat head screwdriver always works for me but use plenty of shop rags prior to doing so to catch any excess oil flow. My 05 RK has a oil cooler which is a bear. cause the (2) oil lines run directly across the face of the filter. Generally I will remove the oil lines at the filter housing before going after the filter....the Harley removal tool pictured above works fine but make sure it has the crank sensor cut-out. If I find mayself fooling around too long on the filter, out comes       the screwdriver attack tool.....good luck as all the methods used above are tried and true.   :up: :up:

truck

Quote from: PoorUB on January 17, 2011, 04:39:13 PM
Quote from: truck on January 17, 2011, 11:29:32 AM
I have a 2001 TC and I bought an oil filter wrench at AutoZone like the one shown in the service manual and it didn't work very well, just slipped a lot.
I made my own with a cut out to clear the crank sensor and it needed a hose clamp to keep it from expanding and slipping.
Then I found an aluminum one that works great.
I sometimes use the wrench to install the filter, BUT I mark the filter and only tighten it 3/4 turn after contact.

You screwed up, son. Don't cut all of the wrench away, just a bit around the "dome" of the wrench, leave the part with the flats intact. You can see it on this one from HD's site.

I just had a startling revelation!
After seeing your picture of the black cap wrench, I went to the garage and found the wrench that I made and tried putting it on the end of the filter placing the cut out 180* from the crank sensor and the darn thing got past the sensor. That wasn't the case when I tried to do my first oil change in 2001.
Maybe the black filters are a different length than the chrome one that came with the bike? (I think it was chrome)
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

mark61

Some filters are smoother on the ends than others. I too like the K&N but can't use them.  Look at a couple different brands and black -vs- chrome and you will see what I mean about some being smoother and some having more pronounced lands/corners for the wrench to grasp. The old fiber can in the oil tank sure were easier to work with, and cheaper!

mark61