May 09, 2024, 06:20:03 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

05' electra glide cannot remove oil filter,strap wrench didn't work.crushing it

Started by badbags, January 12, 2011, 08:29:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

badbags

This oil filter was torqued on. can't seem to budge it.strap wrench,end cap no go,any ideas was would be appreciated.Thanx

rawshog

Happened to me also.  I took a ball joint seperator and hammered into the end of the filter and then turned it loose with a pair of pliers.  If you don't have one of those, use a scewdriver to punch a couple of holes in the end of the filter.  Jam plier handles into those holes, use screwdriver to turn pliers.

Dennis The Menace

Badbags, I moved this to General to help you get the right folks to help you out.

CraigArizona85248

I've always just punched a long screwdriver through a stuck filter and used it to get the filter off.  Makes a mess but has never failed.  When you install the new filter, only tighten by hand.  Never tighten a new filter with a wrench unless you want it to be stuck when you go to remove it.

-Craig

Rugby_fxdwg

1996 80" Wide Glide 10.5-1 85HP/85Ft; 1999 Ultra 95" 6speed; 1989 FXRS

Princess Butt

Shiny side up, rubber side down.

hbkeith

had that happen once,everything i tried just ripped filter apart, finally got it to turn tapping it with a punch

kik

Hopefully you fugured it out by now, but if not. Try taking the strap wrench and place it as close to the front as possible. The oil filter will not collapse there because of the threaded area. Last time it happened to me though I used the biggest pair o channel loks that I had and twisted it off.

Good luck.

Super Dave

I use a pair of Harbor Freight "vise grips" that are in a 1/2 circle shape. In fact I think they're in the oil filter strap wrench department at HF. I've done the screwriver through it before but I've also been left with a really screwed up filter and bike that can't be ridden until the filter is replaced.

hd06myway

It's probably happened to everyone at some time or another, I used the screwdriver approach too when I couldn't budge it.  But just s reminder, DON'T OVER TIGHTEN THE OIL FILTER... hand tight is all it needs, as it it tightens up more over time on it's own.

badbags

Quote from: badbags on January 12, 2011, 08:29:43 AM
This oil filter was torqued on. can't seem to budge it.strap wrench,end cap no go,any ideas was would be appreciated.Thanx
I appreciate all of your advice!finaly got it off...it's a new bike to me and this is first oil change.i never torque down a filter like that...hand tight thats it!!

frito1

That's why I like K&N filters.  Call me lazy, but I like the nut on the end.

I've had similar experiences to yours, always with the first change on a new vehicles.  I'm guessing the mfg's use a power tool for filter instalation.
"frito"  '11 FLHTP
www.eddiekieger.com

Neckball

If you have one tight enough that a strap wrench is starting to collapse the filter, try a large hose clamp.  Try to get the clamp on close to the top of the filter, less chance of collapsing there.  Tighten the clamp to where it won't slip.  Then using the proper size socket on the clamp screw head and a long extension as a punch, give it a few taps. 

With the strap wrench, the harder you pull the more pressure it exerts which is good most of the time but can be bad on something relatively soft like an oil filter housing.  The strap wrench is pushing harder in one spot, where the handle is, which causes the collapsing of the filter.  The hose clamp will keep the load evenly distributed around the filter.
05 RK Classic, Black Cherry
IBA member #32738

moose

great idea with the hose clamp have to keep that one stored in my pea brain for future use.
Moose aka Glenn-

Glide-Rider

Don't feel like the lone ranger on the oil filter.  I have done it too.  Getting ready to leave in the morning for a Laughlin Run and changed out all the fluids the night before.  Got to the oil filter and it just would not budge.  Used strap wrench and it just crushed oil filter.  Called up a buddy and he came over and he started laughing.  "I told you not to over tighten that filter, hand tight only."  Just what I wanted to hear at the time.  We tried the screw driver trick and it just tore the filter.  Had to remove the whole oil filter unit off the bike and put in vice.  He cut off the oil filter leaving about two inches sticking out.  We got a chisel and hammer and sprayed WD 40 on it.  Slowly tapping it out with chisel and it finally broke free.  Inspected unit and it was fine.  From then on I hand tighten only.  When the oil filter gets hot it will expand and that is what happened.  Take your time on it and I am sure you will remove filter.
Pete
Warner Springs Ca.

LDB187

has anyone ever used the HD filter wrench that the manual says to use?  I've tried to buy one but have never found one.
Clarksville, TN

harleyjt

You can buy essentially the same wrench at AutoZone for about a tenth of the cost of the HD one.  Depending on the year model of your bike, you may need to modify it by cutting a section out with a hacksaw or cutoff wheel to clear the crank sensor.
jt
2017 Ultra Classic - Mysterious Red/Velocity Red

rad3766

Quote from: harleyjt on January 17, 2011, 05:37:11 AM
You can buy essentially the same wrench at AutoZone for about a tenth of the cost of the HD one.  Depending on the year model of your bike, you may need to modify it by cutting a section out with a hacksaw or cutoff wheel to clear the crank sensor.
jt

Yup, got my modified strap wrench setting in the tool cabinet and thats where it stays. I switched over to the K&N filter.  :up:
98 FLHTPI Miss Suzy HOG, AMA, IBA, PGR

f-x-d-w-g

I've got the HD oil filter cap wrench with the cutout for the TPS.  It slips if the filter is tight.  What a waste of money!

I like the hose clamp idea.  I think I'll get a clamp of the proper size today...
Dan
Tijeras, NM

truck

I have a 2001 TC and I bought an oil filter wrench at AutoZone like the one shown in the service manual and it didn't work very well, just slipped a lot.
I made my own with a cut out to clear the crank sensor and it needed a hose clamp to keep it from expanding and slipping.
Then I found an aluminum one that works great.
I sometimes use the wrench to install the filter, BUT I mark the filter and only tighten it 3/4 turn after contact.

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]
Listen to the jingle the rumble and the roar.

PoorUB

Quote from: truck on January 17, 2011, 11:29:32 AM
I have a 2001 TC and I bought an oil filter wrench at AutoZone like the one shown in the service manual and it didn't work very well, just slipped a lot.
I made my own with a cut out to clear the crank sensor and it needed a hose clamp to keep it from expanding and slipping.
Then I found an aluminum one that works great.
I sometimes use the wrench to install the filter, BUT I mark the filter and only tighten it 3/4 turn after contact.

You screwed up, son. Don't cut all of the wrench away, just a bit around the "dome" of the wrench, leave the part with the flats intact. You can see it on this one from HD's site.
I am an adult?? When did that happen, and how do I make it stop?!

03deuce

Quote from: LDB187 on January 17, 2011, 03:04:35 AM
has anyone ever used the HD filter wrench that the manual says to use?  I've tried to buy one but have never found one.

I bought one from Jenni, 20% off, and it works fine. It is metal and works much better than the cheap plastic ones.   

06RoadGlider

I have used the clamp trick before and got me out of trouble. Another thing I have done is add alittle heat as close to thread end to expand filter just to get it to start to turn. I do try to do my oil changes with everything heated up and seems to have eliminated that problem. I have one of those oil filter wrenches HD  sells bought mind from Canadian tire cheap. It has worked for me but like all have said here HAND TIGHT is the key.

JJ :up: :beer:
" to all a great ride and return safe"

MaxxV4

I have found that it is easier to loosen the filter when it is cold. I have loosened the filter just 1/8 turn before starting the motor to warm it up. (Just make sure it isn't so loose that it leaks.) Then it comes off easy. If you have both filter wrenches, (Strap and the cut-out one) Try using both at the same time. I used to do that on car filters when some one had over tightened them. Of course with the older cars, you had enough room for two wrenches, on these bikes it is a different story.
Mike

FSG

QuoteThat's why I like K&N filters.  Call me lazy, but I like the nut on the end.
:up: