May 01, 2024, 09:38:38 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

case decking ?

Started by LilBill, December 25, 2008, 10:03:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

LilBill

i've got a '69 right case and a 71 left case that i'd like to use together to build a motor with. when bolted together the rear motor mount pad (on the bottom) is uneven and so is the rear cylinder deck. i don't have access to good "harley" machine shop but i do have a local machine shop that is pretty damn good and has really good tools. has anybody ever trued up a combo like this or have any tips ? i can get the crank bearings align bored but the decking has me scratching my head.

Old Crow

Yeah, I had that done on my shovel when I changed out the left case half. 
In the process they found that the rear cylinder was not square to the crank from the factory.  Kinda explained why I had a cylinder crack around the base flange the first time I ever thrashed on the motor after break in was done.
Bolt the cases together and have them line bore the crank and check the deck at the same time.
I forgot to have them check the motor mount pad until the whole thing was assembled, so I spent some time with a set of feeler gauges and a straight edge.  Got me some shim stock and just shimmed up the low side.  The bike's an FLT, so that was fairly easy to do on the bench.  Next time I have the lower end apart I'll take it back and have that corrected.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Hillside Motorcycle

Your local machine shop should be able to handle that, no problem.
Not that hard to do, just takes time.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

LilBill

how do you hold the cases on the mill so they can be indexed ? i assume it's done with a mill ?

Hillside Motorcycle

December 26, 2008, 01:19:36 PM #4 Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 06:18:30 AM by Hillsidecyclecom
We have a Brown & Sharpe angle plate, that is bolted to the table, and the cases bolted to it.
The cylinder deck is positioned 90* to the quill, then the spigot hole is indicated to center. Ain't nothing to it.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

LilBill

moosemush

What should one expect to pay for a deck and line hone? I've got a mis-matched set myself.

Old Crow

I'll let Hillside take this one.  It's lost in the dark recesses of the huge, forgotten amounts of cash I've poured into this old girl.
This ain't Dodge City, and you ain't Bill Hickock.

Hillside Motorcycle

Quote from: moosemush on December 27, 2008, 06:50:33 AM
What should one expect to pay for a deck and line hone? I've got a mis-matched set myself.

Call us on that.
Scott