April 28, 2024, 05:35:09 AM

News:

Help!!! Adj. carb in Colorado???

Started by sandrooney, December 26, 2008, 05:50:21 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sandrooney

I have a 95 RK stock W/ SE/AC and turn out slip on's, I am not sure what brand. It seems to run good once it is warmed up, I have to run choke for like 10 to 15 miles after letting it warm up for 10 minutes( I don't run choke during that warm up ) I use the throttle stop. It will spit through the carb from time to time through out the day. I got a dyno sheet with the bike and it was running at 14.2 to 14.6 with a 170 main and a 45 slow and n86f needle and bleed screw at 1 turn. I changed the main to 180 and opened the screw to 2 turns which seemed to make it smoother in the cruise range but no help with the spit at the low end. I live at 6300 feet and ride up to 11,000 feet and down as low as 4,000 feet . I did put new intake seals.
Any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Thanks,
SR
Patience is such a waste of time .

Sonny S.

" I did put new intake seals."

Before you chase jetting check for leaks .....again

sandrooney

Sonny S.

As you know it definitely sounds lean. Have you pulled the slow jet and checked it for a blockage ?  I bought a brand new jet once and the bike acted the same way, pulled the jet and found a piece of brass stuck in it.
I would also check for other vacuum leaks suck as petcock hose, petcock diaphragm, torn slide diaphragm etc.
There are probably better choices for a needle, if you don't have others to try then I would shim yours .020-.040 and see what happens.

oh, also make sure the slide diaphagm is not pinched in the cover

sandrooney

Thanks Sonny.I will check those things out. I have seen where some use #4 brass washers as shims , where would I get those at?
SR

RoadKingTrooper

Thanks SS, Sandrooney helps me with my tires and stuff, good guy

RKT

Sonny S.

Don't have to be brass or anything special. If it fits the needle OD good, doesn't stick out past the top much, an is the right thickness go for it. Just take the, needle, and the plastic retainer that sits under the spring and holds the needle in place with you. You just want the top of the needle to sit in the retainer like it normally would. The washer will go on the needle shaft between the needle and slide, not between the needle and retainer.
If you've got a hardware store near you, you should be able to find something that works. Can even be plastic ( nylon).

RKT   :up:

sandrooney

RLPOS1

Sounds like you need to go up an the slowspeed. I ended up runing a 46 but some folks run a 48. Then make adjustments to the adjustment screw located under the aluminum cap.This should improve the cold naturedness
:teeth:
1996 FXD
T/Jet kit, S/E 6000 RPM Ignition, Hooker Tunable's, EV27, HyperCharger