April 28, 2024, 01:05:38 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Internal Twist Clutch

Started by 58panman, December 26, 2008, 06:48:47 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

58panman

Anyone running an internal twist clutch with a mousetrap?

Tony

Tsani

Do you mean the timing retard/advance control on the left bar?
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

CraigArizona85248

I think he actually means a twist clutch.  Works like the old timing control but has the correct pull travel for a late model clutch.  I think Exile was the first to sell that part (at least they were the first I saw selling it).

-Craig

58panman

Craig,

Roger that on the exile twist clutch, I just picked up a set of 16 inch apes for my 58 and I'm going to install a set of internals, clutch and throttle. I asked Russel Mitchell at one of the Bike Shows here in MI if he knew if it would work and he told me" I'm not familiar with a Mouse Trap, is that some type of clutch assist". I'm going to give it a go and I'll post the results.

Tony

CraigArizona85248

Tony,

I'm betting it will work pretty well with your mouse trap.

-Craig

Tsani

Don't see why it won't work. The cable just actuates the mousetrap, simple enuf. The mousetrap handles the pull (twist) pressure seen by your fingers and the distance required for engagement and disengagement. Heck, I actually ran a mouse trap both by hand when a cable broke and with a lever on it which was a ton of fun btw!
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

Pzokes

The cable pull distance should be the same.  I would stay away from the cheap copy that is being sold on Ebay.  You'll get what you pay for.
There's miles to go before I sleep.

mark61

Could this set up be grafted on to a new model, say a TC? One of the reasons I love the old pans is the cleaner handlebar set up..

mark61

CraigArizona85248

mark61,

The twist clutch is made by Exile and was designed for a TC/Evo clutch.  You should have no problem using it.

-Craig

stroker800

Pat Kennedy also makes a twist clutch,,,has been for years.. I can't see why it wouldn't work as long as the mouse trap was set properly,,,,I used to sell lots of the "eliminators" at the shop. I have never set up a mouse trap,,,,never tried the twist clutch either.
Dave

mark61

Got an actual web site for Pat Kennedy?  Search gets me all kinds of sites but none that seem to be his.

mark61

mark61

I had found that before. Everytime I click on -supposedly- his website it just takes me to another search directory.

Thanks,
mark61

Kuda

Quote from: 58panman on December 26, 2008, 06:48:47 AM
Anyone running an internal twist clutch with a mousetrap? Tony

It should work fine, but here are a couple of things to think about:

1) The adjustment of the mousetrap is gonna be pretty critical, or you'll have forearms like Popeye in no time.

2) Depending on the clutch springs you're running and the quality of the adjustment on the mousetrap, you STILL may end up with Popeye forearms.

For me, as much as I can appreciate a set of clean bars (run internal throttle and jockey shift on mine), that's a TON of pressure to run through a delicate bushing/bearing for an internal clutch. If this is a bar hopper with a light clutch, you might be all right for a while. But if this is something you're likely to thrash cross country, I'd stear clear.  At a minimum, you'd better get really good at pullin' it all down to grease and check it frequently. Like I said, it's a lot to ask of some small parts...

-Kuda
'49 panchop