April 27, 2024, 02:42:53 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

THINKING ABOUT A V ROD WHAT R GOOD AND BAD POINTS FOR 66 YR OLD MAN?

Started by burgies08ultra, January 15, 2011, 12:37:33 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

burgies08ultra

i have been thinking about a ssmaller bike like the vrod to run around on.. we r moving to ft worth area, and was thinking a water cooled bike would be nice for daily riding...  i need a nice ride cause i have back problems and was wondering how the vrod is in the comfort area?? i have an 08 ultra and would like to know what year vrod is the best for reliability and updated by hd...
any info would be appreciated.. thanks   burgie
2013 road glide,2009 road king

ViennaHog

There are only two VROD models left in the line up and both have rather awkward riding positions. The Ultra wins hands down in the comfort department. Why not a Sportster Custom with a few add ons if it has to be a lighter bike with some comfort?

Sc00ter

Quote from: ViennaHog on January 15, 2011, 01:48:29 PM
There are only two VROD models left in the line up and both have rather awkward riding positions. The Ultra wins hands down in the comfort department. Why not a Sportster Custom with a few add ons if it has to be a lighter bike with some comfort?

Got to agree...  The VROD is not the most comfortable riding position for us old guys...

burgies08ultra

mu buddy used to have an 01 sporster and it didnt ride too good, my 02 deuce and 02 dwg rode better...i was tinking about 06 to 07 vrod
burgie

bcrichard

the VRSCAW VRod has the best riding position for my old body (72+ yrs, 5' 8", 155 lbs) better than my Evo Fatboy  unfortunately Harley has discontinued this model for 2011 and just offer the Night Rod Special and the Muscle now. I have an '08 and am very comfortable on it all day long. I test rode both the NightRod and the Muscle and felt they would need a bar change in order to be comfortable on either of them for any length of time. Love the VRod

chaos901

I have an Ultra and a Road Glide, but one of my sons has a V-Rod.  It is fun to ride every onve in awhile (to me) but I would not want to do any serious miles on the bike.  Fine for him though.  For comparison purposes, I am 55 and do not have any back trouble. 
"There are only two truly infinite things, the universe and stupidity." AE

burgies08ultra

yea i sat on the new vrods and they would definately need longer bars or someting,, i was stretched to far forward on them..
thanks for your input... burgie

sfmichael

Haven't tried a V-Rod, hope to some day. But I've got an '03 Deuce and used to have an '01 Wide Glide and I've gotta say the FXDWG was super comfy with absolutely no mods. Rode it to Sturgis while on the mend from an injured tailbone and it never bothered me. That couldn't be said for the Deuce (both with stock saddles). It's the m-cycle equivalent of a Lazy Boy in my eyes. I'm sure the HD boats are comfy too, but the Glide's gotta have 'em beat by a hundred pounds or better in weight and that makes a huge difference for in town, low speed driving and maneuvers.
Just my .02
Colorado Springs, CO.

burgies08ultra

yes i agree the dwg was more comfy than the deuce..and handled better for me too...
yes the ultra is the best ride of all, but thinking of smaller since i will be riding in a lot of traffic around ft worth- dallas area when we move...burgie

cig

I traded in an 08 roadglide in on a vrscf. The fltr was very comfy, but just seemed boring to me. I have done several 400+ mile days on the v-rod and still ready to ride when I quit. Right now I have NO desire to go back to a bagger. I am also 53 years old. Not a kid anymore though the wife might not agree with that statement.   :teeth: 
cig 
Alton, Illinois

burgies08ultra

do u have the forward controls on this bike?? and what kind of milage do u get??? thanks  burgie

cig

Yes , I have forward controls. I raised the bars 1 1/2 inches and added the windshield for more compfort. Milage sucks. I only get about 30-32 mpg. I understand that is pretty normal for this bike. The fun makes up for it though. here's the bike.

cig 
Alton, Illinois

burgies08ultra

thats a nice bike for sure...   i sat on a yamaha raider and it fit me perfect.. nice looking too..but dont think i would make that leap..  but u never know. lol...burgie

Tbones

I have an 06 VRSCD and an 07 FLHTCI.  For long haul comfort, hands down the FL but, there are some things you can do to that V-Rod to get it long haul ready.  http://www.cyclevisions.com/road-rod-conversion-kit/road-rod/

These bikes are very smooth and you can get them comfortable.  If you have any questions PM me.  I would get atleast an 08 or newer rod, you can pick one up for 8k these days with low miles.
=IF IT DON'T DO 150 IT AIN'T WORTH HAVING=