May 05, 2024, 12:50:46 AM

News:

Lowering front springs less than 1 inch

Started by aal, December 26, 2008, 02:02:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

aal

December 26, 2008, 02:02:06 PM Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 08:42:10 PM by aal
I've seen kits to lower front springs by an inch to two inches.  I don't want to lower my front end that much.  Are there any kits that lower about 1/2" or so, or any other good method to do this?  This is for an 04 fsxt.

aal

December 26, 2008, 02:20:14 PM #1 Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 08:43:16 PM by aal
In trying to research this futher, I've come across the Progressive Suspension Drop In Fork Lowering Kit.  It looks like this can be used to adjust the height, but the web site doesn't say what the standard lowering amount is.  That is, for an fxst is says to use a 4.5 inch spacers, which can be lengthened up to 1 inch to raise the front end.  They can also be shortened to lower.  However, it doesn't say how much lower than stock a 4.5 spacer results in.  Does anyone know? 

Also, since typing the above, I've noticed some advertisements that say you can use the drop in kit to lower up to 2".  Per the Progressive product instructions, it looks like you can go as short as a 4 inch spacer, which I'm guessing would then equal a 2 inch drop, meaning the 4.5 spacer would be a 1.5 inch drop.  If you can add 1 inch to this, it looks like this would equal a 1/2 drop.  Anyone know for sure?  Also, anyone have any experience with the product.  It looks really easy to use.

By the way, from what I can tell, this is a new product; out about a month or so.

Here's what an ebay seller has to say about them:

THESE DROP IN FORK LOWERING SPRINGS WILL DROP IN THE FRONT END OF THE BIKE WITHOUT THE HASSLE OF DISASSEMBLING THE FORKS, PULLING THE WHEEL OR EVEN CHANGING OUT THE OIL AND THE WHOLE PROCESS CAN DE DONE WITH BASIC TOOLS.  SHORTER SPRINGS AND PROGESSIVE'S NEW SECONDARY COMPENSATOR SPRING MAKE SHORT WORK OF THE FORMERLY COMPLICATED ACT OF LOWERING YOUR FRONT END.

http://www.progressivesuspension.com/dropin/index.html

96FLSTF

Why not just slide the tubes up in the clamps 1/2".

Gene
05 95" FLHRSI
96 FLSTF ("Street Stalker")

aal

96, I did that once on a bike, and I think it threw off the steering geometry a little; at least that's what I read would happen and it did seem to handle a little differently.  But also, I just like the look of it better without the tubes sticking up.

aal

Also, as a related matter, I notice HD says their front lowering kit lowers by "about" 1 inch.  Anyone know how "about" this really is, and how the HD kit compares to the Progressive kit that will lower by 1 inch or 2 inches?  Thanks.

Guitarplayer

Wanted to throw this at you all for food for thought.  I installed the 1" lowering kit in my forks last year.  Even though you shorten the forks one inch, It doesn't drop the bike that much.  I took before and after measurements and it only droped about 5/8".  I'm guessing that because the forks are installed at an angle and not straight up and down is why you don't drop the full one inch.

fxstbob

The design of the softail trees won't allow sliding the tubes up in the trees. The new dynas have four clamps on the trees and will allow sliding the tubes up.

I have no experience with the new drop in lowering springs, but they *do* look interesting. Unlike the other kits which reduce useable travel, this kit appears to basically sag the amount to be lowered, which would still let the fork to extend when going through potholes and such.

The original lowering kits consist of preload spacers, shorter main springs, and longer topout springs which determine how much it is lowered. The stock topout springs are 3/4 in., which if you add another set of stock springs you would lower it 3/4 in. Or, using a 2 in. spring by itself will lower 1 1/4 in. I haven't tried this but, I think you should be able to stick a 1/2 spacer in with the stock topout spring to lower it that amount.

aal

Thanks for the relpies.  I hadn't realized that the 1" drop is actually in the forks themselves and not the overall height.  Guitarplayer, did you use the HD kit?  Also, fxstbob, any thoughts on how the ride with the new drop in kit would compare with the older method?  Do you think it would result in any noticeably better ride?

Guitarplayer

aal

Guiterplayer, thanks, but to clear up any confusion, that was the kit sold by HD, not the kit sold by Progressive?

fxstbob

Guitarplayer sounds right with his measurements. That's a drawback with lowering a front end. If you want the frame lowered 1/2 in., you lose 1 in. fork travel.

If the drop in kit allows the forks to sag with the soft spring and a firm spring to keep from bottoming, in theory, they should allow the wheel to follow road irregularities, such as potholes, instead of leaving the pavement momentarily when the forks top out too soon. The firm springs should give a tighter, sportier ride than stock springs. Sounds like a good idea for the midwest backroads I ride on. The thing I'm wondering about is how high speed handling would be affected. It seems that at 85+ mph my fxst front end starts feeling light and susceptable to wobbles. What would the plushness of the soft springs do with some front end lift going on?

I have used both the white bros. and progressive kits and can't say one worked better than the other. Now I'm undecided rather to try this new kit or race tech emulators in my current bike. My stock springs are sagging 2 in. and bottoming out all the time. It's time to do something.     

Oops, got carried away typing.

aal

On the subject of the HD lowering kit, or other 1" lowering kits, I'd be interested to know how the bike handles afterwards.  With the rear lowered, does the bike handle better with the front also lowered?  And any problems associated with lowering the front?

aal

From what I've learned further, sounds like you can lower less than 1" with the new Progressive drop in kit.  With the older style, its either 1 inch or 2 inches, with no way to adjust. 

Golfman

Remember an inch at the front end is only about 1/3 " at your feet assuming you are not lowering the rear at the same time; and if you're lowering the front an inch hopefully have already lowered the rear about the same.

aal

I used the HD rear lowering shocks on the bike. On a couple of previous bikes where I used the rear lowering shocks, I left the front stock, and it seemed ok, but now I'm thinking I might try lowering the front also.  One, if it was slightly lower, I think it might look better, and two, I think maybe it would handle better. 

Hawg Holler

Check out Feb. American Iron for an in-depth discussion on the pros and cons of lowering.
Keep on ridin
Ridin our blues away
Hawg Holler 2005 Road King Classic

Guitarplayer

aal,  sorry for the delay here.  I finaly found the box that my springs came in.  I used HD 54614-05 spring lowering kit.  I also replaced the fork oil with the Screemin' eagle performance oil.  Little history here:  My RK is a custom which allready had the low profile rear shocks.  I installed the TJ lowering blocks at first and noticed right away the chopperish feel I had with the steering.  Once I installed the lowered front springs, the chopper feel went away.  I also haven't noticed any difference in ride, nor have bottomed the forks out.  I've since removed the TJ blocks due to me bottoming out to much and installed the platnium bleed n feed shocks.  On another note, I'm kinda interested in dropping the front another 1/4" or so.  I'm not sure you can slide the fork tubes up in the clamps on my bike or not?  but may look into it.