May 04, 2024, 06:02:47 PM

News:

Head porting and Flow numbers ?????

Started by roadglide65, December 26, 2008, 03:52:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

roadglide65

I guess this would question would be pointed at the guys that CNC heads.....

Do they give flow numbers with the heads that they port?? ( Is Ever set checked for there flow numbers )..... or are they cut from a model that was hand cut from the start?

Hillside Motorcycle

Although this has been covered before, that post has the ability to part the Red Sea, witness Elvis, and damage ego's, all in one fell swoop.
Let the beating's begin..................... :pop:
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

roadglide65

December 26, 2008, 04:26:57 PM #2 Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 04:47:44 PM by roadglide65
Quote from: Hillsidecyclecom on December 26, 2008, 04:20:10 PM
Although this has been covered before, that post has the ability to part the Red Sea, witness Elvis, and damage ego's, all in one fell swoop.

Not trying to part the Red Sea and (I know Elvis lives in Kalamazoo under cover)  And not trying to damage any ones ego's.............

Do you supply flow numbers with your heads........  just asking  :smile:

Hillside Motorcycle

Seriously, we provide dedicated plotted flow charts, upon customer request.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

Kleetus

Quote from: Hillsidecyclecom on December 26, 2008, 04:20:10 PM

:hyst: Now that's funny...I don't care who you are.

Kleetus

Dogbone45ACP

POORBOY

Best way to flow them is with a garden hose,drop your valve in there and cut on'em til water shoots out valve allway around @ same flow, this is called WET Flow test,velocity is more diffcult, we will cover this next week.
Poorboy   Moonshine  TN

se

specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

GoFast.....

I do not have people work on my heads unless I see the flow sheets because usually I am looking for certian numbers.
Nothing like the Sound of a Harley and the Smell of Rubber

Sonny S.

Quote from: GoFast..... on December 26, 2008, 06:49:56 PM
I do not have people work on my heads unless I see the flow sheets because usually I am looking for certian numbers.

What would those numbers be ?

.700            if applicable

fuzznut5197

Quote from: Sonny S. on December 26, 2008, 06:55:41 PM

Here are my numbers:

.100    5
.200    13
.300    22
.400    24
.500    37
.600    11 (gold ball)

Still waiting for 'em to "perform"   :teeth:

Don D

December 26, 2008, 07:43:16 PM #11 Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 07:45:48 PM by Deweysheads
Poorboy
A weed burner on a propane bottle is a lot more effective!!! :wink: :hyst:
By the way the parting of the Red Sea, broken by the Mythbusters It was shallow and there was a lot of wind  :smile:

GoFast.....

Depends on what size the motor is and the cams I am going to use

Sonny S.

Quote from: GoFast..... on December 26, 2008, 07:46:07 PM

Use the 107 you are building as an example.
I think this could give a novice builder or DIY'er a good example of how a quality head should flow for this type of build.
Then when you follow up will a dyno sheet we can see the results and what is required to achieve them.

GoFast.....

December 26, 2008, 10:25:26 PM #14 Last Edit: December 26, 2008, 10:39:20 PM by GoFast.....
I don't mind doing that when I get them done in about a week. We have to get the intakes done with the 1.94 intake valve and then need to set what we want to achieve on the exhaust side for the WT 26. If money was not a issue I would get a set of WT cast  heads. I like the 1.98 in and the 1.630 ex for the WT 26 Cams, 2k for those heads.  :smileo:

The intake port affects the flow and the velocity numbers but that subject is better left to the head porters. I would not really use a 1.80 port on any thing smaller than around a 113 but other people do it all the time, This 107 is in a bagger so I do not want to lose to much velocity so I am putting on a 51 HPI with a 1.710 intake port

Don D

My numbers will not likely be the same as others so I use them myself for R&D, QC. Just an intake adapter change, or higher resolution bench (mine pulls up to 48" 600cfm), test pressure, fixturing, can give very differant results so no need to start a whole new set of dyno wars with airflow sheets

Sonny S.

no need to start a whole new set of dyno wars with airflow sheets

yeah this could have negative results

roadglide65

First let me say was not trying to start any wars with anyone just asking a question.

I have a set of R&R stage 4 heads that I bought used and did not ask the guy if they supplied any flow sheets, Also e mailed R&R and have not heard back from them.

My thought was to swap the heads and cam and see what i come up with,, now I think Ill just do the cams with my heads dyno it and then come back and do the stage 4 heads and see how much differance there is.

The build is a 110" S/E PRO heads (84cc) that have been cleand up stock T/B and has 59g cams in it now, and came in at 110 HP 106 TQ

Would like to see the TQ numbers in the low 120 range thats why I am gong to the 67g

Don D

OK now we have the "rest of the story"
Call R&R, GMR, or King of Cubes and ask them what cam to run. They all sell the R&R product and can do the value added needed to help you. I am sure they all can shed light on what cams work better and will produce the result you want.

PanHeadRed

RG65, I will give you an answer, but remember I do not speak for ALL CNC heads.

As a general rule:

Do they give flow numbers with the heads that they port??

The heads typically do not come with individual flow sheets for each and every head, but the nominal flow numbers are usually available, most times posted on a website or other printed advertising media.

are they cut from a model that was hand cut from the start?

AFAIK - unless they were knocked off from an existing set, the short answer is yes.

The CNC programs are written from a process called digitizing, this is a "point cloud" created from data points taken at certain specific precision measured intervals (typically .05" or less) from the original hand ported cylinder heads. Some of the basic geometric shapes do not require the digitizing, but due to the complexity of the port geometry it is required for the port surfaces..

That's the basics, I hope it is helpful.

se

S&S cams or their 615/585 cam that is usually the cams they recomend for their heads.... they also recomend that you use their rocker arms that usually have an altered geometry to them.
specialize in Harley Davidson high performance engines and Dyno tuning

mayor

Quote from: GoFast..... on December 26, 2008, 07:46:07 PM

are you saying that you give your head porter numbers to shoot for? 

Quote from: GoFast..... on December 26, 2008, 10:25:26 PM
I don't mind doing that when I get them done in about a week.

or are you suggesting waiting to see what the head flow numbers are before choosing cams?

Quote from: GoFast..... on December 26, 2008, 10:25:26 PM
We have to get the intakes done with the 1.94 intake valve and then need to set what we want to achieve on the exhaust side for the WT 26. If money was not a issue I would get a set of WT cast  heads. I like the 1.98 in and the 1.630 ex for the WT 26 Cams, 2k for those heads.  :smileo:

The intake port affects the flow and the velocity numbers but that subject is better left to the head porters. I would not really use a 1.80 port on any thing smaller than around a 113 but other people do it all the time, This 107 is in a bagger so I do not want to lose to much velocity so I am putting on a 51 HPI with a 1.710 intake port

I'm curious about a few more things about how your designing your high performance 107".  how did you determinewhat size valves you need to use in your build?

and how did you determine the size of the intake port compared to the intake valve?  how does the velocity allowed by the heads your designing compare to what the 51 HPI allows?

Quote from: Sonny S. on December 26, 2008, 07:55:15 PM

I think this could give a novice builder or DIY'er a good example of how a quality head should flow for this type of build.
Then when you follow up will a dyno sheet we can see the results and what is required to achieve them.

I like that idea, but I think it would be a better idea to start a new thread before the dyno results to show the preperation involved in creating the 107" and also show how predictable the results can be when one knows what they are doing.   :up:
warning, this poster suffers from bizarre delusions

Faast Ed

December 27, 2008, 08:10:34 AM #22 Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 08:12:48 AM by Faast Ed
You confused yet another poster. LOL

Quote from: GoFast..... on Yesterday at 08:49:56 PM

I thought you already knew your motor size and cams.  Are you gonna change that as per flow results?

What flow numbers are you "looking for"?

≡Faast Ed>

Sonny S.

What flow numbers are you "looking for"?

that's what I was wondering   :teeth:

Faast Ed

I saw you ask that earlier, and the response was that he'll let you know what he is looking for after they are ported.

I don't get it. 
≡Faast Ed>