April 27, 2024, 09:25:29 PM

News:

Home made stuff for old primary set-up

Started by ricochet, January 24, 2011, 07:12:46 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ricochet

This should get a couple of grins.  Pics from my knuck chop being disassembled for make over.  Back about 30 years ago I made the mid shift mechanism to work with the tin primary.  It has needle bearings and seals at both ends and a waffer bearing and seal on the outside cover (not shown).  Ran the breather hose into the top with 3 drip holes on the bottom for the chain. 

About 20 years ago got the idea to make a chain tensioner.  First used a sportster primary chain shoe but that wore right down.  Then went to a skateboard wheel that's worked well since.  It's very tight in there but this is mounted directly to the frame with 3 bolts and standoffs as well as grommets in the pass through holes in the inner primary tin.  So there is no noise from the chain through the primary.

ricochet

ohio-rider

Very inventive. I like it but I have to say, Man you got way to much time on your hands.  :up:

ricochet

Yea, I know.  Looks that way but when you want something on the cheap you've got to improvise.

I got a pleasant surprise last night when I pulled the motor out.  After a good deal of searching I found the case numbers and turns out they are a matched set.  For probably 30 + years I was under the impression that it was a compilation of swap meet parts probably because the engine rebuilder had line honed them and I assumed the cases were not matched.  Back then never gave a thought to looking for the numbers.  They were hard to find but once distinguished easily read.

Anyone know what the head casting numbers would look like for a 47 knuck and rocker box numbers?

ricochet

ohio-rider

That would be a nice surprize to find matching numbers after all this time. That means you own a survivior. I reckon the value of your bike just went up.  :wink:

moose

looks like it would outlast harleys stuff
Moose aka Glenn-

ricochet

Here's another.  Oil cooler made from chunk of extrusion and fits under front motor mount.  Never tested effectiveness before and after but it flowed good.  Ran it with a bypass valve.

ricochet

ricochet

Couple more disassembly pics:

Custom motor mount for el in a shovel aftermarket frame:

Engine pulled and being saved.  Replacing in this frame with 86" stroker.

ricochet

dog155

Quote from: ohio-rider on January 24, 2011, 09:58:13 AM
Very inventive. I like it but I have to say, Man you got way to much time on your hands.  :up:

Too much time on his hands,no way! it's called therapy.Some of best inventions have come from problems like these.

ricochet

Therapy is right.  You know how it is...  you aint got time to cut the lawn but you got time to create something you didn't need in the first place!

ricochet