Heads Up for those who plan to ride the Blue Ridge Pkwy this Spring.

Started by EZGlider, December 27, 2008, 06:40:40 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

panz4ever

Quote from: tireater on December 28, 2008, 07:29:02 PM
That's why this is America....We value people with different opinions... :up:

You have definitely gained my respect. Thank you for the commonsense response... :up:

POGO

96flhpi

Who is recommending being disrespectful/beligerant to the police?  Yeah, obviously you aren't going to win that battle. 

I think the point is we shouldn't just accept government actions that are unconstitutional because "well, there's nothing I could do about it."  Like others said, "A couple of militias taking on the most powerful army on earth (Britain 1776), what are you crazy?"  Yeah, well that kind of crazy led to the greatest country on earth, at least until we started ripping out selected parts of the Constitution.  Hell, Gandhi did it without the militias. 

People in Europe take to the streets because they don't like minor trade agreements.  We wouldn't protest in the streets unless Oprah told us to.  We as a whole are exactly the kind of sheep the government likes - uninformed, distracted and ....... oh nevermind, my show's on.

egstandard

I've seen protests in the streets lately. Even violence. But that kind of emotion is only when gays can't marry each other.

mark61

[quote author=96flhpi
  I think the point is we shouldn't just accept government actions that are unconstitutional because "well, there's nothing I could do about it." >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>

We as a whole are exactly the kind of sheep the government likes - uninformed, distracted and ....... oh nevermind, my show's on.
[/quote]

You GOT it!.

Now the sheep can go back to their bleating...,

mark61

egstandard

Statement Of Constitutional Rights:  Officer, I mean no disrespect, but I understand my rights. I have the right to have an attorney present during questioning. I have a right to refuse to consent to any search of my body, and personal effects. I wish to exercise all my rights. If I am under arrest, I wish to invoke and exercise my Miranda rights and be allowed the opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney. If I am taken into custody, I request a reasonable opportunity to make arrangements to secure my own property. I do not consent to any impoundment of my property. If I am not under arrest, I want to leave. If I am free to leave, please tell me immediately so that I may go about my business.

RK101

Weather we like to admit it or not,The motorcycle community is always so divided that it makes us and easy target.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

gtmalone

this is probably the reason behind it.  These stories are on the website EZGLIDER posted earlier.  These are since Sept 2007. 

Taser Employed To Terminate Extended Pursuit
Canadian Visitor Killed In Motorcycle Accident
Fatal Motorcycle Accident
Motorcycle Operator Killed In Head-on Collision
2002 Heritage Springer - "Ruby"
95ci - 44mm carb - Andrews 21N cams

Golfman

Again - the greatest thing about America is that we have the right to disagree and I guess I am in the minority here.
I understand that the BRP has been a very dangerous place to ride and there has been an unusual amount of accidents and fatalities often involving and sometimes caused by motorcyclists - very often of the "crotch rocket" type. The roads are very windey and tight when riding a Dresser type against oncoming traffic, and the speed crazy crotch rockets (and there are some bad awful cage drivers on these roads).
I don't like it when my rights are violated; but these check points may actually protect our rights to travel these great and beautiful roads in safety.
When your traveling these roads on a Bike you don't need the third beer or shot or a snort; or riding without a valid helmet; or carrying.
I guess I can say that and believe it, too, because this IS America and I served my time.

Golfman

QuoteI guess I can say that and believe it, too, because this IS America and I served my time.
"My time" refers to time in service during Nam

76shuvlinoff

I agree about too much big brother encroaching on our lives I just think there are better ways to protest than to square off with the working Joe at the checkpoint.  I also think natural selection is a legitimate way to cull the herd but the problem is those fools usually take someone else with them.

I like this approach ..if it works. Ultimately citizens need to use their vote to affect real change though.
QuoteStatement Of Constitutional Rights:  Officer, I mean no disrespect, but I understand my rights. I have the right to have an attorney present during questioning. I have a right to refuse to consent to any search of my body, and personal effects. I wish to exercise all my rights. If I am under arrest, I wish to invoke and exercise my Miranda rights and be allowed the opportunity to obtain the advice of my attorney. If I am taken into custody, I request a reasonable opportunity to make arrangements to secure my own property. I do not consent to any impoundment of my property. If I am not under arrest, I want to leave. If I am free to leave, please tell me immediately so that I may go about my business.
Critics are men who watch a battle from a high place, then come down and shoot the survivors.
 - Ernest Hemingway

tireater

They had a drunk checkpoint here... They checked 700 people with a flashlight breathalizer...They got one person with .09 bac...
Does anyone feel sorry for the 699 people they stopped that were not drunk...It dosen't sound like there is a drunk driving problem here...???
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

96flhpi

Agree with 76.  Getting nasty with the popo ain't gonna get you anything but a free ride.  Like I said before alot of them probably don't like having to enforce these policies.

Tireater - the courts have held up such checkpoints as legal, but not if they stop only red cars, or only foreign cars, etc.  Again, the case here is the singling out of two wheeled vehicles as being in need of "safety education."

apes

when was the last time a law passed that game you more freedom.....

RK101

There are times that we all have to do some things in work that we just hate doing but it's part of the job. So I have to agree with 96 on the point that I'm sure that most of these guys hate this particular part of there jobs. I'm not saying I agree with these safety stops for bikers only but giving the Leo a hard time for doing a part of his job that he's already not to thrilled about doing is not a real wise move.
The way I see it is our only recourse is to write to our Local politicians, AMA ,ABATE. etc. and tell them how we feel about this sort of treatment towards hard working tax paying citizens just for there mode of transportation. Many of which have given more than there fair share to this country. We might also remind them in our letters that the average motorcycle gets allot better gas mileage then the average automobile which also helps keep us from relying on foreign oil. My 99 Chevy truck gets 16mpg my Harley gets 41+ mpg which one is better for the country and our desire to have less dependency on foriegn oil.
Do not take life too seriously.  You will never get out of it alive.  ~Elbert H

Tsani

:wtf: Safety huh?! Baloney! What did they say during the election? Oh yeah, you can put lipstick on a pig but it's still a pig. And remember boys and girls, it's not your "right " to drive, it's a "priviledge". However, the illegal profiling, search and seisure in the name of "safety" is a violation of your rights which the majority of American Sheep, I mean people, are willing to accept because they are unwilling to stand up for themselves. It's the ol you go first bull. You can't fight city hall bull.  Now it's too little too late. Just the tip of the iceberg that's floating your way folks. :sink: But at least you will be safe. :hyst: Resistance is futile, you will be assimulated. Baah Baah Baah. 
ᏣᎳᎩ ᎤᏕᏅ ᎠᏴ ᎠᎩᎸᏗ ᏔᎷᎩᏍᎩ ᎠᏂᏐᏈᎵ
ᎠᏎᏊᎢ Leonard Peltier

gtmalone

There is probably something going on we don't see. As Golfman said maybe they have a problem with speeders and accidents.  The Checkpoint Chicky might be a "soft sell" to solve a problem and raise awareness rather than having a bunch of LEO's out with radar runs and running up and down the roads. Either option will leave someone PO'd. The checkpoint is a minor inconvenience. Consider it a butt break and a chance to talk to other bikers. You might make a new friend.

Going to the AMA, congress, etc is fine but that may only be effective at the state level. Not sure how you would effect mass change at the county or muncipality level unless AMA has the manpower to work on it case by case at that level.    My .02 worth and I need .01 back in change. :smile:

tireater

I was in a poker run that went thru a police checkpoint...They were looking for illegals w/o proper paperwork...
So i'm wearing full gear and pull my wallet out after making it to the end of a 2 mile long traffic jam...
So my bike is overheating and they say I can go...it takes about a minute to put my wallet back in my fat ass and everyone is mad... :up:
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Deye76

Quote from: gtmalone on December 30, 2008, 04:00:06 PM
There is probably something going on we don't see. As Golfman said maybe they have a problem with speeders and accidents.  The Checkpoint Chicky might be a "soft sell" to solve a problem and raise awareness rather than having a bunch of LEO's out with radar runs and running up and down the roads. Either option will leave someone PO'd. The checkpoint is a minor inconvenience. Consider it a butt break and a chance to talk to other bikers. You might make a new friend.

Going to the AMA, congress, etc is fine but that may only be effective at the state level. Not sure how you would effect mass change at the county or muncipality level unless AMA has the manpower to work on it case by case at that level.    My .02 worth and I need .01 back in change. :smile:

So, if during that checkpoint, an uninformed officer disagrees with the rating on your helmet, susequently fines you and prevents you from continuing on your way, then it's nothing more than a inconvienience?  :dgust:

East Tenn.<br /> 2020 Lowrider S Touring, 2014 CVO RK,  1992 FXRP

gtmalone

Quote from: Deye76 on December 30, 2008, 04:30:52 PM
Quote from: gtmalone on December 30, 2008, 04:00:06 PM

So, if during that checkpoint, an uninformed officer disagrees with the rating on your helmet, susequently fines you and prevents you from continuing on your way, then it's nothing more than a inconvienience?  :dgust:

Certainly more than an inconvenience, but you are wearing proper gear, yes?  That could happen anywhere not just a checkpoint.   Everyone has different opinions on a very polarizing topic and different ways of dealing with it.  Do I like checkpoints, No...but if I hit one I'll just deal with it.

mark61

[quote ]
Going to the AMA, congress, etc is fine but that may only be effective at the state level. Not sure how you would effect mass change at the county or municipality level unless AMA has the manpower to work on it case by case at that level. [/quote]

So how much time have YOU put into making these changes at YOUR municipality? How many hours a day/week month do you sit in front of the computer posting to HTT and how many hours/minutes/seconds have you taken lately to write a letter, make a phone call or even go VOTE with these issues in mind?
     My local government people almost all know me by name. It doesn't really take much time or effort to stop and talk to them when I see them or stop in their offices to discuss issues like this. I VOTE! If i used a phone their offices would be on my speed dial. Believe it or not the people in those offices are just like you and I. They don't want to be annoyed by these laws. They want to be happy and have nice relationships with people. If they know something WILL upset someone enough that they will call and annoy them then they will stop these BS from starting. 
      Speak up! Be counted! Voice your approval or disapproval. Spend a few bucks and a little effort supporting those people who DO spend their time and lives trying to keep this stuff from happening!

mark61

EZGlider

Well, this one at least got the awareness up and interest from different points of view.

My last comment here will be this, Sobriety checkpoints have been held legal, even though they get into a grey area regarding "probable cause".  That is, without a legitimate reason for an experienced Officer to suspect a crime has been committed.  OK, BUT they stop EVERYBODY, not just a class of vehicle.  Singling out a class of vehicle, specifically motorcycles, is highly prejudicial and based on the ASSUMPTION that they are more dangerous or likely to be in violation than other vehicles.  Definitely discriminatory against motorcycle riders.

Claiming it is a safetycheck works for sixteen wheelers only because they have to comply with Commercial Standards and are subject to inspections as part of their permit to use the roads.  Motorcycles are, mostly, private conveyances, subject only to the same regulations as other private vehicles.  Yes, there are helmet laws specific to motorcycle riders BUT there are also seatbelt laws for cages.  Many states have held that stopping a vehicle for a seatbelt violation is illegal because , without visible probable cause, the Officer was singling out a particular individual based only on a desire to find something wrong.  Not a big leap from there to "safety checkpoint".

Even if a "safety checkpoint" was deemed to be legal, IMHO as an experienced LEO, stopping ONLY motorcycles takes that already shaky legal premise into the illegal area from the grey area it already inhabited.

It will, ultimately ,be up to the courts.  Be interesting to see how many who were charged get charges dropped based on illegally being singled out as a member of a class.

Anyway, be aware it is happening.  Again, the Alleghany County Sheriff's Officers are generally a good bunch, not at all anti bike and this was probably something they were drafted to do by the USPark Police.  Generally speaking the area is very bike friendly and courts our business.

EZ