April 27, 2024, 05:26:19 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

drag pipes

Started by randallwhitman, November 03, 2008, 11:38:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

randallwhitman

After many years of running mufflers, I'm going back to drag pipes.  What baffles do you guys recommend to reduce SOME of the noise, and give the old shovel enough backpressure to perform ok?  Thanks, Randy    P.S.  Check out www.hackerpipes.com   
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

pappyfreebird

loli pops  ..there cheap n easy (like me) n adjustable

stroker800

I run any drag pipe over 40" long with lollypop valves at the end. My shovel now has "gutted" mufflers on it with lollies in, yes it is loud.
Dave

buzzurd

Just installed Khrome Werks "HP-Plus" baffles in my 2 inch X 40 drags.They are not much quietier but definately have provided more torque and throttle response. You can feel the difference.
Buzzurd

Hillside Motorcycle

We use 1/4" bolts, 1 1/2" long, with 4, 5/16" nuts stacked on the bolt. About 3 inches from the end.
Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

randallwhitman

Thanks guys.  I'm removing my Kromewerks muffs to do this, so I'll go with their baffle.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

rkrcpa

I've got an 88" Shovel FLH and recently switched to staggered slash cut duals from 40" drags with HP-Plus baffles. I was hoping to tone down the noise a bit and gain some low end torque. I don't think that it was enough of a switch to neccesitate a jetting change but the bike is nowhere near the same on the highway. With the drag pipes I could jump on it at highway speeds and it would pull hard all the way to way too fast. Now it just kinda mopes along. My long winded way of saying I ran many miles with the HP-Plus baffles and I think they were probably the best performing pipes I've had on the Shovel.

shoveled71

After many years of running straight drag pipes I put a set of true dual fishtails on it, had a dead spot at 50 mph,Tried all the jetting combos and nothing worked till I put the Kromewerks baffles in it, runs better now than it has in years.  Spike
100%  pure obnoxious harley ridin white trash

NormL

Try the bolt trick first, then try the baffle and see if it's any better.  I run 28" L x 1-3/4" drags with a little home made baffle.  Kind of like the mini baffles but without the step, less back pressure but breaks up the reversion pretty well.

Cracky
Swanton, Vermont

dave_9113

Quote from: Hillsidecyclecom on November 04, 2008, 09:47:58 AM
We use 1/4" bolts, 1 1/2" long, with 4, 5/16" nuts stacked on the bolt. About 3 inches from the end.

I'm running extremely long drags pipes...I mean upswept to the height of king & queen seat.  (100 " front, 68" rear).  Anyway, do you think the stacked nuts on bolt or the lollipop style (on Nightrider.com) will help to give some backpressure?

dave

pappyfreebird

i like lolipop washer fer reasons of sorta adjusable...but thems sum longuns yer talkin there,,id run me a bolt er two in where the upsweeps a slid on..thall create more reverbin

dave_9113

Pappy...know what you mean.  How would I get them at the upswepts, if that's what you mean, rather than toward the end on one continuous pipe. Just straight round shots, no fishtail. 

pappyfreebird

November 12, 2008, 04:49:18 AM #12 Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 04:55:50 AM by pappyfreebird
dayum thems is one  peice ..thats alota pipe..well i dont know how fussy ya r,, but the easiest that comes ta mind...is drill n run the bolt in n zap a tig er mig tag on it ..the bolt goes in from under n inward sosin wouldnt see it anyways,,,n id also make sure i ain near that bend,,id be befoe er after it  ,,,nuff stress there awready,,,wehres the pix a this rig its be cool ta see   paps   ony reason i say befoe bend  is them pipes draw eyes n a bolt stickin in em up in the air...well like me id unnerstand cause its rideabilty befoe looks (aw L that reminds of a bruthas wife aw cheeyut i wont go there )wahahaha

dave_9113

Pappy, you want to see some pipes....here you you!  :smilep:

dave

pappyfreebird

November 12, 2008, 02:25:31 PM #14 Last Edit: November 12, 2008, 02:27:24 PM by pappyfreebird
thems simply beechin dude!!! they gotsta cackle like L dont they...seems the longer ya go the mo cackle ya git ..dig the oil filter placement too..oh n i have a drag king queen short back thatd look rad on there too,,,leavin jus a sissy stickin way up,,kinda aways liked them like that,,,heres mine a few yrs back

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]