May 02, 2024, 04:43:49 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

kickstand needs to be bent

Started by monty101, December 27, 2008, 05:42:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

monty101

looks like I need either a longer kickstand or some kind of extension or I just need to bend it. I can't keep the proper amt of oil in my tranny because it leans just a little too far over. I've already put one of those longer kickstands on it for a 2 in increase in height because of using a 8 over front end. Anybody know the best way to get her to quit leaning. If I bend the kickstand I was figuring on bending it below the spring bracket to make sure that the spring pulls her back under the primary cover.

bob_e95482

I bent my 1" longer kickstand, right at the bend. I then tig welded a piece of Sstl inside the bend as a gusset, it can hardly be noticed.

Wicked

If you heat the leg to bend it, it will weaken it and it will break there eventually. What about one of them angled plate jobbies that go behind the k'stand mount? Might give you enough...

Little Al

Feel absolutely free to heat and bend that sidestand. It is the strongest part on your bike. I've done it many times and it's held up for years.

If you go to the York factory tour you'll understand. When they heat and bend the sidestand they have to get it cherry red and use a huge "press" to bend it into shape. I have never heard of a sidestand breaking from anyone that actually had it happen to them.

My '83 FXR is lowered and to let it sit right I had to bend the sidestand. I did it about 10 years ago and it's my daily ride. It wasn't easy. Using a mapp gas torch I had to get it cherry red along about 3/4 of it's length then had to use a 5 pound sledge over and over to bend it just a bit. when it cooled I cleaned up the sledge marks and had it chromed. looks as good as original and has held that bike up without a problem.

Little Al
Little Al

Hillside Motorcycle

Otto Knowbetter sez, "Even a fish wouldn't get caught if he kept his mouth shut"

d-dog

I've seen in parts catalogs a square wedge that's made to fit behind the kickstand mount.  It's intended for bikes that have been lowered and angles the kickstand downward a bit to allow the bike to lean more.  I imagine you could reverse it and move the kickstand downward to make the bike stand more upright instead.
Dog

Dennman

That wedge actually raises the side stand on lowered scoots.I got one intendin ta use it flipped over for my bent 1" over stand.It was bent from kickin the scoot over while on the stand and packin full campin gear.It's not a simple fix ta flip it due ta the bolt hole placements and cutout for mounting the sidestand bracket to the frame.
Don't let the bastards get you down!

monty101

leaned her up against the wall, heated her and bent her