May 01, 2024, 11:17:32 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Hey Lewy, a real cool update!

Started by shovelbill, December 27, 2008, 06:33:55 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

shovelbill

December 27, 2008, 06:33:55 PM Last Edit: December 28, 2008, 12:01:58 PM by Fatboy_SirGarfield
I'm real excited to post this. wont be long now!

build it, bust it.....figure out why

randallwhitman

Wow.....CNC'd billet heads?  Very cool.
Freedom Behind Bars
103" Shovel
103" '07 FLHX

96flhpi

shovelbill

hey 96,
nope, Mike Sorensen up in Canada.he's been working on this deal for like 3 years now. i've been talkin to him for 4 months about it. i'm getting my whole top end from him. his shop. www.spchoppers.com
i read about this in American Cycle mag in nov. '07. been following along since.

96flhpi

Was gonna say damn you got some skills!! 

BTW, called Bob M. - nice guy.  Said he won't be up & running for another month and a half or so.  Unfortunately he's on the other side of CT from me, right over the Rhode Is. border.  If I ever need any serious work would be worth the trip (or shipping) but to just blast heads I'm just looking for someone trustworthy who's nearby.  Thanks for the info anyway. 

shovelbill

ha 96, i wish i had those resources myself. those pics are from the shop milling the heads for him.
i thought Bob was close to ya, sorry about that, but he is a great guy to deal with and will do all my machine work. most likely the bottom end while its there. hes built some killer sh^t. i'll go WAY outa my way to work with someone i trust and like. i should have a link for more machining photos soon. we've come a long way from the hammer and bellows, huh?

96flhpi

No biggie on the mistake - like I said would be worth the trip if I needed them rebuilt or had some other major work.  I'll definately keep his # for future reference. 

Back to the thread - good luck on this project you got going on here.  Looks like it's gonna be something special.  You had a case you were polishing on a differnt thread - these heads going on there?

shovelbill

December 30, 2008, 08:15:41 PM #7 Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 09:37:39 PM by shovelbill
yea 96, i lost my mind and started polishing. im waiting for some polishing "Potty mouth" in the mail so i can keep working on it. this is going to be a real cool motor when its done. the whole bike should be too. i really need the swingarm that's being made in England to get the roller together. going all out on this old girl, i'll be posting more updates on the stuff i get as i go along. here the link ta see the machining pics on those heads, more to come in the next day or so. getting closer. just scroll down to "mother of all projects".
http://anieksteve.smugmug.com/Work

and yup, these puppies are going on there. basically the whole top end. go check it out. www.spchoppers.com

stroker800

Those heads are beautiful,,,I kinda thought they would have an EVO shaped combustion chamber......The squish and different valve angle is where the evos get there power...I'm no engine builder ....I would like to try a set out for sure,,,I will have to keep an eye out .
Dave

shovelbill

January 02, 2009, 06:58:09 PM #9 Last Edit: January 02, 2009, 06:59:40 PM by shovelbill
i just won this baby on e-bay the other day. got the ignition taken care of.  :up: got to get a pic of my wheels.

pappyfreebird

i hafta stop lookin at this stuff,,the drollin is jus terrible n real tried of wipin down screen n keyboard

shovelbill

i hear ya pappy. i'm only goin nuts because i'm divorced now and dont have to listen to anyone else makin "sensible" decisions for me :wink:! i've never built from the ground up and in my 'advancing' years figured its time to do it the way I want from the start...........

fulldress79

What are you going to do about headbolt inserts? Would Helicoils handle the torque?

shovelbill

ya know, he told me what is going on with that but for the life of me i cant remember right now. that's nothing new i just adapt, forgot where i put my yellow sticky notes! i'll get back to you on that or have him answer it for ya. be well
                                                                                         bill

crazycanadian

Quote from: fulldress79 on January 04, 2009, 07:06:16 AM
  What are you going to do about headbolt inserts? Would Helicoils handle the torque?

No insterts on these heads.. heads are cold rolled coarse thread pitch for better grip. I will be looking into offering a stud kit for them.. I'm pretty sure ARP fasteners has something laying there they can put together for me.

Never EVER Use a copper head gasket.. they don't allow for the expansion and contraction of the parts and blow out.. people mistakenly blame the fasteners.. It doesn't matter if you torque those bitch's to the moon the copper gaskets are coming out.  If you use a composition gasket which is made by Cometic or other makers.. you only need to torque them same as an evo 42ft lbs and not a smidge more and you won't ever have a problem. Retorque is a good idea of a heat cycling a few times.

What happens on the inserts is,
1) people are using copper gaskets and aluminum and steel contract at different rates therefore creating an almost impossible situation to seal.. so what do they do.. blame the fasteners..  caveman cure? Grab a bigger fucking wrench and torque more.. to the point that it starts to pull down the instert out of the aluminum.

2) Over heat the heads with monster camshafts that allow to much heat to build in the exhaust area or.. with bad tuneups running them so lean the head loses it's strength and again the insterts back out.

And that folks is the honest to go truth! That is also why STD doesn't want to sell shovel/pan heads with a bathtub chamber because people are leaving to much material in the chamber and it makes the heads run hot.. especially since STD cut off the fin area on the heads.. making them run even hotter. Then they stick in a even bigger cam and cause the the heads to run even hotter yet. And it was costing them to much in warranty returns.

And that folks is the real deal!

My 93 has 230lbs cranking compression and  makes 114hp! It Hasn't pushed a composition gasket once! And I only hand tighten with a long wrench!!!

M :potstir:

Lew

Wow...very interesting......
This can only get better from here!
:pop: 
-It is now later than it has ever been before-

shovelbill

January 07, 2009, 07:21:41 PM #16 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 07:27:25 PM by shovelbill
updated pics on heads. doing the combustion chambers now.
http://anieksteve.smugmug.com/gallery/6815292_WR4pR#450544838_jWWLX

got myself some 11.5" progressive 440 IAS's from a brother for a great deal. fork tubes and struts in the mail. probably going with a Race Tech spring/emulator kit for the front end. nixed the works perf. shocks/springs for the deal i got here, those shocks were too damned expensive as far as i'm concerned and no gread deals presented themselves. hopefully just another month for that JMC swingarm i ordered.

96flhpi

Dude - those heads are lookin' awesome.

shovelbill

what's up 96?,
im lookin forward to them getting done and him slappin them on for a dyno run. we got a pretty good thread over here.
http://www.shovelhead.us/forum/forumdisplay.php?f=8

96flhpi

Yeah I've lurked over there for quite a while and saw your thread.  Sooner or later I'll have to join - seems like a lot of them old school wrenches are over there freely giving out advice and whatnot (hawg & doc, etc.) - not that there aren't a lot of 'em here too.  See a couple of the same names from this board over there as well.

Found a guy by Woodstock to clean up my heads - 74 Shop.  Heard of him either here or ShovUS and looked him up and damn if he ain't just an hour away.  Talked to him and he seems real anal and I mean that as a compliment - consider that to be a great quality in a mechanic - "let me do it right or I ain't interested in doing it at all."  Best of all he ONLY does pre EVO scoots.  Think my '82 was too new for him.  Gonna meet him Sat. and hopefully leave my heads with him.

I'll be following your project along - see you've been collecting your bits & pieces.  Can't wait to see the finished product.

shovelbill

January 07, 2009, 10:41:51 PM #20 Last Edit: January 07, 2009, 10:51:06 PM by shovelbill
that's good news, an hour's nothin for someone ya want to deal with. when i get up in that neck of the woods i'll look him up. yea, bits and pieces is right. eventually they'll become a roller, and happen real quick.
it'd be so easy to just get new cases and put the other one back as a stripper/bobber. that one has an mso for the frame and i can get this shop down here to title it, he's a licensed manufacturer and pretty cool.
this, and all the origional parts(engine, sans cases, bags, fairing, everything) is whats left over and wont be used on the new build. the origional frame for this is back from being straightend out and im still playin with the cases. i got paper on what i'm using...........

96flhpi

I used to drive an hour each way to go to work everyday so, yeah, an hour for a wrench who knows what he's doing is not a hassle.

Your donor bike looks a lot like my scoot, 'cept I got a pogo and no two tone paint (or is that pinstriping).  Those 75th ann. stickers on the fender?  Sure you want to mess her up cause you know those are going to go for a fortune someday - LOL :teeth: