May 09, 2024, 03:11:28 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Zipper's throttle body, stock intake manifold?

Started by ibltit, February 09, 2011, 02:45:23 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ibltit

I have an '05 flhtcui with the two piece throttle body/intake manifold. I'm thinking about using the zipper's 50mm throttle body. According to their web site the Zipper's intake manifold must be used with their throttle body. Will the Zipper's throttle body bolt up the stock intake manifold?
Thanks,
Mike

aharp

Ever drink out of a glass with a straw? Thats the kind of mis-match youre going to have if you bolt up a big throttle body to a tiny manifold.
Speed costs money. How fast do you want to spend?

Don D

I'm not in love with their manifold, it has a cast step (hard to describe without a drawing but a jog like mitered pipe rather than a gradual radius) on the short turn into the head.

Admiral Akbar

Holes don't line up..

Quote from: Deweysheads on February 09, 2011, 05:57:56 AM
I'm not in love with their manifold, it has a cast step (hard to describe without a drawing but a jog like mitered pipe rather than a gradual radius) on the short turn into the head.

Got one not sure what you mean.. Radius too small? Right now it's in a box.. Max

gonefishing_68

The stock manifold is only 41mm roughly to start.

ibltit

Thanks for the replies, just hate to spend the money for the bigger throttle body and then spend more for another manifold, and then they say you have to use their air cleaner. I think there are other options.

Admiral Akbar

HPI uses stock backing plates..

You could also bore out the stock TB..

Max

ibltit

I'm thinking have HPI bore out the stock throttle body. The bike is 107" w/Hillside stage 2 heads and 54 cams. Don't really think anything bigger on the thottle body would make a difference over the stock being bored out. I've heard nothing but good about HPI.

Inspector 12

Latus Motors in Gladstone Oregon worked with Dan Baisley and some other folks to develop a throttle body and manifold set up. Not the cheapest but has some excellent features including great flow properties on the short radius part of the manifold. Their set up also offers the ability to change out the venturi so that optimum size can be individualized for each build.  They are installing one on my SE 120R, looking forward to seeing what it produces.

Admiral Akbar

Quote from: Deweysheads on February 09, 2011, 05:57:56 AM

BTW

Looked at the one I've got.. The casting lends itself to doing a nice elliptical bend it you look at how it's cast on the outside.. For some reason the inside it pretty straight and the bend sharp.. Also. port junctions are rough machined just like the later 06 up dephi TB.. I bet there is some more flow in there..

Max