April 27, 2024, 01:01:56 AM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Mini drum brake: front wheel - Do they work???

Started by Clutch Cargo, December 27, 2008, 09:27:42 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Clutch Cargo

Bobber project needs a 21" front wheel with brake for an old springer.   My bud says the original knucklehead drums didn't stop too good and the "chopper stopper" ain't too good either.   Can any one weight in on this: pro or con.   See the attachment for a file photo of the wheel & drum brake.   Thanks

[attachment removed after 60 days by system]

CraigArizona85248

December 27, 2008, 09:48:03 PM #1 Last Edit: December 27, 2008, 09:49:57 PM by CraigArizona85248
These brakes are terrible.  I can't think of a pro that could possibly out weigh the cons.  The shoe area is too small.  They overheat very easily.  They will give you a false sense of security.  I think I'd rather run a spool on the front then feel brave because I have a under designed brake on the front.  I run a 49-later H-D front drum on my panhead and it's a much better brake then the one you have pictured but still way short of a modern disk.  A stock H-D springer drum will also be better then this brake and less prone to fade due to the larger surface area.

-Craig

help-u2

looking at it close ... i would rather drag my feet...
(and what craig said)

04glide

tireater

How about a 360 brake...? They look like nothing....
Ride it...Break it...Fix it...Repeat...

Crotch_Rockets_Suck

Before we all judge based on appearances, does anybody have any actual experience on a bike equipped with these brakes?

Looks like the same concept as airliner brakes (full 360 degree pad contact) and those things stop planes weighing hundreds of thousands of pounds.
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?

88b

Quote from: Crotch_Rockets_Suck on December 28, 2008, 02:14:12 AM
Before we all judge based on appearances, does anybody have any actual experience on a bike equipped with these brakes?

Looks like the same concept as airliner brakes (full 360 degree pad contact) and those things stop planes weighing hundreds of thousands of pounds.

True but reverse thrust does a lot of the stopping

Princess Butt

I, personally, do not have experience with this type of front brake, but I used to know someone who ran one on his girder springer.

"It ain't much for stopping, but if you're stopped, it will keep you from rolling downhill." was about all he said about it.

His boots didn't last long, either.

BnEUC
Shiny side up, rubber side down.

texaskatfish

*Hypothetical conversation at a bike show*

"Dang didja see the gawdAWFUL disc brake on that bobber project? What was he thinking?"

"He was thinking he might need to make a flawless panic stop someday. Didja see him dodge that soccer mom that turned left in front of him pulling into this show?"

...................just sayin.............
Katfish  Vice President   Cypress Chapter BACA
RIP Jester http://bacaworld.org/

HroadhogD1

Looks like one I used to have.  I didnt think it worked untill I tore it down.  I got rid of it.  No good :down:

Paniolo

Buddy of mine had to put one of those on his old chopped rigid shovel. This was over 30 years ago and he was running a spool. But when he moved to another state, the DMV registration/safety requirements included a front brake, mirror and a horn. So he put that on the front to pass the brake requirement, and installed one of those kiddie squeeze horns on his bars. He also installed a dentists examination mirror on the bars to qualify for the mirror requirement. He was a real charecter.

The front brake was useless, it just allowed him to meet the DMV/safety requirement.
Life can only be lived in the present moment.

CraigArizona85248

Quote from: BnEUltraClassic on December 28, 2008, 04:27:00 AM
I, personally, do not have experience with this type of front brake, but I used to know someone who ran one on his girder springer.

BnEUC

I personally have experience with this brake.  Thats why I jumped in and added my comments.  I'm not saying you should not use this brake, just be aware of it's severe limitations.  I run a H-D drum brake on my everyday ride.  A lot of guys will tell you I'm taking my life in my hands since it doesn't stop nearly as well as a modern disc.  It's an informed risk.

Also, Paniolo makes a good point.  If you would rather be running a spool but the law requires a brake, this is a good alternative.

Regarding the 360 brake.  That's actually a fairly decent brake.  But once again, it has limitations.  The problem I see is that those clowns try to sell that brake as if it's as good or better then a disc.  They want you to think you are giving up nothing.  Bad sales strategy.  That's the thing that gets them sued.  Not to mention it's rediculously overpriced.

-Craig

panhead_dan

I ran one of those small drum brakes in the pic above and had so much trouble with it that I removed the whole backing plate and replaced it with a spacer and put an 11" disc and dual piston caliper ON THE REAR.
Maybe the solution to your project problem lies in a late model front disc brake. I'll be using a spool hub on the front of mine.

02roadcling

"PRO" (the cons have been listed)
It looks good, I'd run it for sure on my 'fun' bike.  :up: Especially if I had another newer safer bike for most riding.

cling
02roadcling
NW corner of Washington

panz4ever

I ran one similar to that about 25 years ago. It was made by Hallcraft. Had it mounted to a girder front end. Only did it so I could register the bike. All show and no go.

wvspike

I ran one that looks like yours the pros-If you run foot clutch and jockey shift sitting on a hill it will keep you from drifting bacwards cons-very little emergency stopping power.

JamLazyAss

Quote from: wvspike on December 28, 2008, 11:04:24 AM
I ran one that looks like yours the pros-If you run foot clutch and jockey shift sitting on a hill it will keep you from drifting bacwards cons-very little emergency stopping power.

That's exactly what we used em for, hill holders. They were good for that, and only that. Period.
Do not rely on it for anything else.
I'm not a proctologist, but I know an asshole when I see one...

Crotch_Rockets_Suck

Okay, my bad on the response.  I couldn't get the picture to zoom so I assumed it was one of those new 360 degree brakes, not the old style ones. :bf:

I now resume my previous status as lurker. :teeth:
If guns kill people, do pencils misspell words?

ElPaso 52

Quote from: wvspike on December 28, 2008, 11:04:24 AM

They were marketed as a hill holder for suicide clutch bikes.
Ron
56FL

greybeard_541

I second Craig's reply- "informed decsion"... I too run the stock drum on the front of my Pan and it requires more attention and greater vigilance in anticipating stops. The drum you're looking at there looks smaller than a Honda 50. Doubt it could be much use on a 500 lb machine.

Greybeard

triumphbruce

i had that set up on an old chop of mine.it worked for what it was
designed for to hold the scoot.it aint big enough for stopping power.

Glenn W

January 06, 2009, 08:27:38 PM #21 Last Edit: January 06, 2009, 08:29:15 PM by Glenn W
Quote from: Crotch_Rockets_Suck on December 28, 2008, 02:14:12 AM

I've run em-they aren't worth much but they do look cool :teeth:
It's just 2 small shoes inside, I'm guessing that's a Hallicraft mini drum BTW, am I right? I've run them and still have one on a CB750 chopper with a springer. They are only good as a "hill holder" while waiting for a red light to change.

heck, all ya need is a rear drum and a Chen Sing rear tire  :hyst:
"Give your bike a Woody" www.woodysfairings.com

Reddog74usa

I had one like it a few years back. It's good for holding you still when at a light on a hill and thats about it.  :wink:
RIDE IT LIKE YA STOLE IT