May 04, 2024, 11:59:18 PM

News:

For advertising inquiries or help with registration or other issues, you may contact us by email at help@harleytechtalk.com

Oil pump shim on 07 models.

Started by metaliser, December 28, 2008, 08:53:50 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

metaliser

Will the same oil pump shim from zippers work on the 07 and up models, going to do a cam install and wanted to boost oil pressure, I have the zippers shim and love it.

Don D

I would not.
I am not sure with the hydra-tensioner roller chain setup raising pressure is all that smart. Would ask Mike Stegman
If you have to raise the pressure get a Baisley light spring (LM001?).
Lots of reasons why, I test them and the factory spring is very inconsistant (cracking and full relief point). Shim a poor spring and that is what you have a shimmed lousy spring.

Faast Ed

The newer pumps already give you more oil flow.

I'm not sure I would mess with that. I did on my 04 (spring, not shim), I chose not to on my 08.
≡Faast Ed>

metaliser

Well thats what I was wondering about, if you raise the pressure you would also raise the tension on the chain tensioners wouldn't you.  :smileo:

WVULTRA

In the process of upgrading cams also (26,000 mi.), and was recommended to simply install a new stock spring.  Also installing new seperator spring (wave washer) in the oil pump.

:up:
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS

cody

When I did the Andrews Roller Chain Conversion on my '06 Road King I put the LMR-002 spring in. Some info that I had printed off (not sure if it was from Baisley or Latus) says the 002 spring raises oil pressure 15% (typically 5 lbs.).   Also says "UPDATE: Models with hydraulic chain tensioners will benefit as well. Goes on to say that the LMR spring will hold more of a constant pressure on the hydraulic chain tensioners than the stock spring. Anyway it looks like Latus Motors (are they the ones that came up with the spring ? ) recommends the LMR spring for the hydraulic chain tensioners so I put one in.

ViennaHog

December 30, 2008, 02:48:08 AM #6 Last Edit: December 30, 2008, 03:54:59 AM by ViennaHog
I have a Latus spring in my personal bike (2008 Ultra) from day one along with the SE cam plate and there is very little wear on the shoes. AFAIK the tensioners have a relief bore, but I will check while my engine is apart for some upgrades.

EDIT: additional info and typo removal

Herko

IMO the higher tension OP spring or shim is carry-over from the 88 that's not needed on the 96.
As far as the tensioners themselves having an integrated relief, I don't know. This will be a good question for the Regina rep in Feb.
Considering a power upgrade?
First and foremost, focus on your tuning plan.

Don D

I do know there are new bleed oil holes in the plate and have been wondering if this and or other internal bleeds are the source of the added sump oil we are now seeing on the late models. Would be nice to figure out how to cure that and not starve anything. I have been inclined to want to use Hylomar or  Hondabond on the metal to metal of the oil pump and cam plate, of course we have put together oil pump covers for years on cars without anerobic sealant.

Don D

Swag Germany is the leading supplier of chain tensioner rails to most of the majors

Faast Ed

Wow. You guys got me thinking.
Imagine the possibility that your sumping might get worse with the addition of the shim or stiffer spring. (07 or newer)
Possible? or not?   Any thoughts from others on that?
≡Faast Ed>

WVULTRA

Quote from: Deweysheads on December 30, 2008, 03:51:24 AM
Swag Germany is the leading supplier of chain tensioner rails to most of the majors

The tensioner pads out of my '07 Ultra have INA on one side and PA46 on the other. 

???
'07 ULTRA, AXTELL 107"/BAISLEY SS HEADS/HPI 48/DARKHORSE CRANK/RINEHART TDs/TTS